New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Z4 Owners with KW V3 Coilovers installed...how's the ride?

Hi all,

I plan to track my Z4 a couple of times a year and would like to upgrade my stock non adaptive suspension to the KW Suspension Variant 3 Coilovers but don't want to loose everyday driving comfort.

Can some Z4 owners who have installed these coilovers provide some feedback on the feel of these adjustable KW V3?

At the maximum height and softest setting, are they comparable to the stock suspensions in height and feel?

Would be nice to have the stock feel for everyday driving and be able to lower and stiffen up the ride on track days

Thanks in advance.

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-12-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Did not get any feedback from Z4 owners with the KW V3 Coilovers here but I managed to find one post from a Z4 owner on the Singapore BMW Forum.

---------------------------------------------------

Re: KW V3 Coilovers for E89 Z4!!

First off, I'll like to thank BOSS Motorsports / David and Wilson for bringing in this set of coils and most important for the excellent work they did on my E89. These guys are top notch.

BOSS Motorsports did all the installation, as I'm not a mechanical person and have no clue what to do.

I'll keep this post as my "reaction" to the new set up.

WOW!!!!!! is all I kept saying on the ride home yesterday. The car is completely different. The car "feels" lighter, like it lost a lot of weight. Body roll? Whats that? The Z now tackles corners like there is no tomorrow. It feels so flat around a turn. I need to re-learn how to drive it, it's that different. Coming from completely stock to this, makes me feel like i have a brand new sports car.

Ride quality. The ride quality is simply Superb. I was expecting to have a harsh ride, harsh enough that you could hear pocket change rattle. It's stiffer that stock, thats for sure, but it's not annoyingly harsh or rough. And I'm on 19's. But the suspension has a tiny bounce to it. And I mean a tiny bit, no where near the bounciness of guys with cut springs or a missed matched suspension combo. It's not a constant bounce, it only really happens when their is some sort of dip in the road, and it like bounces back into place (1 bounce). Does that make any sense? Kind of how the Australian V8 Supercars bounce at times, I'm not claiming my car handles like the V8 Supercars, but almost

The car feels so planted on the ground. The stock ride was boat-like to me, very "floaty" and I felt disconnected from the road. Now I feel like I'm in full control of the car. The steering feels tight, I feel like there is a new tighter steering rack on the car. The steering wheel snaps back into place after a turn. My braking feels tighter as well, no nose dive, and I feel the Z stops faster.

The Z now feels neutral and light. Like it's ready to fight.
Was it worth it? YES!!!!! I definitely recommend the KW's (v3), if you want the ability to dial in your height and stiffness, and get awesome handling with out spending an arm and a leg, this your ticket.......

-----------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'll be ordering a set of these, track a couple of times and write a review here.

Thanks all!

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

In any case, if you ditch the run-flats there is already room for increased stability and grip without loosing the comfort. Perhaps harder springs and softer dampers is the way to go. But it takes an engineer and a good driver to really appreciate and tune such a system.

I have to ask you, why do you want to go faster on the track? Why not just have fun at slower speeds and spend the money on fuel etc instead? You can stiffen the car up, and go a tiny bit faster, but how is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Thanks for your post Asbjørn.

I'm planning to replace my runflats with some Michelin PSS as soon as they wear down more as I only have about 10k miles on my car. A couple of track runs will surely speed up my replacement so I won't have to put up with the runflats for too long.

I asked the same questions as you before I actually tried tracking. I didn't understand why anyone would go in circles, burn tires, put in expensive mods, and risk damaging their cars just for the sake of driving fast around the track. It just seems wasteful and ecologically unsound doing so.

That mindset all changed when I started taking track lessons from a professional track driver and realized it's not about the speed but about becoming an overall better daily driver when we're not on the track.

Tracking a car isn't only about driving fast, but so much more. It's about learning to take the correct lines through corners, brake/accelerate timing, control of our cars and learning it's limits that allows us to basically drive well and safely.

When we do all the above correctly, that's where safe speed comes from, not reckless speed flooring the pedal to the metal just to beat the clock. I baby my Z4 so no intentions of pushing my Z too hard on track days. The progressive mods I plan to do is so that it becomes a better car as I become a better driver.

Making the Z4 a decent track car certainly makes it a much more competent car on the street right? Also, the track allows me to indulge in some spirited driving so that I don't have to on public roads.

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)

Last edited by HowieZ4; 02-13-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I have KW V3 and PSS.
Before the PSS, I had Hankook V12. I have to say, PSS is far more superior. In this case, you go get what you paid for in terms of the quality.

As for the KW V3, I've only had it for a month. It's set at "the recommended" settings, and ride height is not too low.
The car handles and corners significantly better. It doesn't feel like a Lexus anymore on the freeway. However, on bumpy roads, you can feel the uneven surface. If you do more casual cruising vs spirited driving or track days, KW may not be right option for u.
For me, I drive the car like I stole it, on the road and on the track (at least trying to get faster on track)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

Good to know a lot of Z4 owners are happy with their PSS. So where would you say the recommended setting of the V3 fall?

Is it around 50% firmness or towards the softer or stiffer setting the V3 can go?

I was hoping to set the V3 at the max height and softest setting for daily drives and lower and stiffen it up on track days for best handling.

Have you had your V3 at the softest setting? If so, was it softer than stock on the non adaptive factory suspension? Thanks.

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've only had my KW for 3 weeks.
Not sure what exact settings its on except that the shop had it installed at the recommends settings per KW.
Since I like how it drives, never really mess around with it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieZ4 View Post
I baby my Z4 so no intentions of pushing my Z too hard on track days.
In that case, keep it stock, change the tires if you find it uncomfortable on the street or want more grip at the track.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything until you are driving the car fast enough that you are able to overheat the oil consistently and easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Personally, I wouldn't change anything until you are driving the car fast enough that you are able to overheat the oil consistently and easily.
Agree. I had 3 track days and countless spirited drives before I decided to spend the money on a KW. Now I feel the difference and extremely satisfied with the KW and PSS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
HowieZ4
Newbie!
Rep

snk, great I'll give the V3 recommended setting a try as well and go from there.

nicknaz, I plan to be on the conservative side with my progressive mods so will upgrade as needed once the Z reaches performance limits on the track.

Thanks all!

BMW Z4 35i Havana
Cobb Tune (Stg1-360hp)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 3.5i DCT

I ve got KW V3 Installed for two weeks. Body roll is much eliminated, even though I did not have the lowest high. i have about 1.5 finger between tire and fender. I am still playing with the setting. The only complaint is the spring knocking at the rear as the spring is quite compressed. The knocking is quite frequent as my drive involved lots of slope up and down. I find KW recommended seems very good already:

front compression damper 5 clicks from hardest, rebound 9 clicks.
rear compression 6 clicks, rebound 9 clicks.

I have tried other settings even almost the softest, and the difference is small, as I dont track.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #12
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Dont forget the damper compression and rebound setting are for all low speed while the high speef is not adjustable. Maybe I should have bought the cheaper KW V1
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #13
Z435_2010
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i ZSP

Michelin PSS are fine, but Dunlop ZII are much better..
I have both, so I can compare.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:10 AM   #14
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

The problem is that the Dunlop DZII's don't come in any useful stock sizes for 19 inch rims...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
shlai
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

My old E85 has the super cheap Korean Kumho SPT, they are responsive like hell. I later change to Contiential Contactsport 3. Feel too soft and irresponsive. So I change to Goodyear Assymmetric 2. They are the best. My current E89 had stock run flat. The are terrible. So, I change to Michlein PSS. They feel less responsive than runflat and they feel too soft but not as soft as Contiential. I wont mind bumpy ride as long as I feel grip and responsiveness. I like Goodyear AS 2 the best. Those are about dry road. Wet is a different story.

Last edited by shlai; 02-13-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
dgkn86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: nnice

I'm middle of installing kw v3 now but I'm stock change rear spring now!
any one can help me out now?what should do to take rear srping?
I'm not sure why e89 is so hard!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
BIGBOYQ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 28i

Any more updates on peoples experiences
e46 220D (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #18
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOYQ
Any more updates on peoples experiences
been riding on kwv3 for 2 years. I don't miss the stock for sure. the car feel firm and planted on the factory settings. huge fan.

i now have a 09 c63 to compare it with. I have to say im really impressed with how planted the c63 rides. It feels so easy to drive for a heavy car. rides well over bumps and really smooth at high speeds. 80 mph feels like 60 on the highway.

the z4 on kwv3 feels lighter and more sensitive to bumps on the road. I feel everything from cracks to pot holes. wheels are glued solid to the ground. It is the jumpier of the two. needs two hands on the wheel. I really like it for daily driving. puts a big grin on my mug.
      03-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
e89zumrut
Rep
Drives: e89 35i

I havent experience the KW v3 on z4 but I can highly suggest you to get a M3 arms which will increase the handling of the high speed cornering of your ride. very very impressive mod to the drivetrain..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieZ4 View Post
Did not get any feedback from Z4 owners with the KW V3 Coilovers here but I managed to find one post from a Z4 owner on the Singapore BMW Forum.

---------------------------------------------------

Re: KW V3 Coilovers for E89 Z4!!

First off, I'll like to thank BOSS Motorsports / David and Wilson for bringing in this set of coils and most important for the excellent work they did on my E89. These guys are top notch.

BOSS Motorsports did all the installation, as I'm not a mechanical person and have no clue what to do.

I'll keep this post as my "reaction" to the new set up.

WOW!!!!!! is all I kept saying on the ride home yesterday. The car is completely different. The car "feels" lighter, like it lost a lot of weight. Body roll? Whats that? The Z now tackles corners like there is no tomorrow. It feels so flat around a turn. I need to re-learn how to drive it, it's that different. Coming from completely stock to this, makes me feel like i have a brand new sports car.

Ride quality. The ride quality is simply Superb. I was expecting to have a harsh ride, harsh enough that you could hear pocket change rattle. It's stiffer that stock, thats for sure, but it's not annoyingly harsh or rough. And I'm on 19's. But the suspension has a tiny bounce to it. And I mean a tiny bit, no where near the bounciness of guys with cut springs or a missed matched suspension combo. It's not a constant bounce, it only really happens when their is some sort of dip in the road, and it like bounces back into place (1 bounce). Does that make any sense? Kind of how the Australian V8 Supercars bounce at times, I'm not claiming my car handles like the V8 Supercars, but almost

The car feels so planted on the ground. The stock ride was boat-like to me, very "floaty" and I felt disconnected from the road. Now I feel like I'm in full control of the car. The steering feels tight, I feel like there is a new tighter steering rack on the car. The steering wheel snaps back into place after a turn. My braking feels tighter as well, no nose dive, and I feel the Z stops faster.

The Z now feels neutral and light. Like it's ready to fight.
Was it worth it? YES!!!!! I definitely recommend the KW's (v3), if you want the ability to dial in your height and stiffness, and get awesome handling with out spending an arm and a leg, this your ticket.......

-----------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'll be ordering a set of these, track a couple of times and write a review here.

Thanks all!
I disagree with this review. I just installed the KWv3 and with 19" wheels, its a rough ride even with softest settings. Maybe its 19" + PS4S. I may have to downsize to 18"

I changed it to:
Front: compression: 4 from softest, rebound 5 from softest
Rear: compression: 5 from softest, rebound 5 from softest

Ride still has some hardness vs comfort mode of stock adaptive suspension. Still going to play with it for couple of days to figure out happy medium

Last edited by taranfx; 02-08-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #21
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlai View Post
Dont forget the damper compression and rebound setting are for all low speed while the high speef is not adjustable. Maybe I should have bought the cheaper KW V1
Are you sure of that? What's your source. Website says its low speed and high speed
"Separate and independent damping force adjustment for rebound and compression damping in low-speed and high-speed"
source: https://www.kwsuspensions.net/techno...chnology/3_way
      02-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #22
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
I disagree with this review. I just installed the KWv3 and with 19" wheels, its a rough ride even with softest settings. Maybe its 19" + PS4S. I may have to downsize to 18"

I changed it to:
Front: compression: 4 from softest, rebound 5 from softest
Rear: compression: 5 from softest, rebound 5 from softest

Ride still has some hardness vs comfort mode of stock adaptive suspension. Still going to play with it for couple of days to figure out happy medium
I've an update. I Set front and rear compression to softest -1 and replace front H&R swaybar with OEM stock and changed rear stiffest to middle setting.
Ride is way better and bodyroll is pretty low. It can be little stiff for bad bay area roads but totally liveable.
For anyone who might be thinking: Don't use stiffer swaybars if you plan to use KW v3 for daily driving, it will make your teeth rattle. Stick with OEM sways.

Last edited by taranfx; 02-22-2019 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0