New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Hard Acceleration "Warble" with ESS Stage II

I have ESS Tune Stage II installed on my s35i and have had no issues with it up until this summer.

When I am in 2nd or 3rd gear, and accelerate hard, I get a distinct 'warble' in the power from the engine and in the exhaust note. This is most noticeable between 3000 and 5000 rpm. It is also much more noticeable on hot days and when the car has been run long and hard. (hardly noticeable when the car is cold or on cool mornings)

There are no warning lights or other indicators of anything going wrong. Just the blasted warble which is quite annoying.

I am hoping that Roman will be able to chime in here and offer some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
The_Hulk
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 35i

Garage List
BMW Z4 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
I have ESS Tune Stage II installed on my s35i and have had no issues with it up until this summer.

When I am in 2nd or 3rd gear, and accelerate hard, I get a distinct 'warble' in the power from the engine and in the exhaust note. This is most noticeable between 3000 and 5000 rpm. It is also much more noticeable on hot days and when the car has been run long and hard. (hardly noticeable when the car is cold or on cool mornings)

There are no warning lights or other indicators of anything going wrong. Just the blasted warble which is quite annoying.

I am hoping that Roman will be able to chime in here and offer some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried to tune it back to stock and see if the 'warble' remains.
That should tell you if it's the tune or the engine.
Just an idea

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I have not heard of this or expierenced it on my own car. Have you flashed back to stock and tested? PM or email me once you have and we can discuss.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Since you notice it only while on 2nd and 3rd gear are you sure it's not the dsc or the e-diff interfering?

Do you get the same effect with traction fully off?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep

I have the car scheduled for service soon, so I will put back the OEM ECU program and see how that goes. I will also try it with DSC off.

Will report back soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

07-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
STOOF
Sunburned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F83 M4 Convertible 6MT

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I get the same thing with my JB4, but mostly in 5th/6th on HOT days.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep

Update: I have noticed two things.

1: When I run the car in "normal" mode I do not experience the warble effect. I normally run the car in "Sport" or "Sport +" where the warble can be quite distinct as per my notes above.

2: I have been running the car on 91 Octane for a few tanks and the warble is greatly diminshed. All last year I ran on 91 Octane and never noticed it. This spring I had switched often to 94 Octane (full service station with 2 wildly hot and naughty looking 'attendants'... who could resist?) and this is when I most notice the fluctuations.

Could it be something to do with some sort of pressure relief valves at the turbos? (totally guessing here, as I have no tech knowledge on these systems.)

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

no clue, but maybe the Z is telling you that it wants to go back to the full service station?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
toplessrydr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E89 35i

Quote:
Update: I have noticed two things.

1: When I run the car in "normal" mode I do not experience the warble effect. I normally run the car in "Sport" or "Sport +" where the warble can be quite distinct as per my notes above.

2: I have been running the car on 91 Octane for a few tanks and the warble is greatly diminshed. All last year I ran on 91 Octane and never noticed it. This spring I had switched often to 94 Octane (full service station with 2 wildly hot and naughty looking 'attendants'... who could resist?) and this is when I most notice the fluctuations.

Could it be something to do with some sort of pressure relief valves at the turbos? (totally guessing here, as I have no tech knowledge on these systems.)

Thanks.
This post is worthless without picts! lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep

Update II. Last week I pulled the ESS Tune out and uploaded the OEM as I had to take the car in for annual low Km service. My dealer is a 2.5 hour drive from my home so I had lots of time to test and play. It was a very hot and humid day and I was running 94 Octane down and 91 Octane back home. No Discernable 'warble' in the power or tone, none in normal mode and none in sport mode.

This leads me to believe that something may be odd with the ESS Tune that I have. Why the problem just became noticeable this year and not last is beyond me. Roman; is there any way we can figure this out?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks
Update II. Last week I pulled the ESS Tune out and uploaded the OEM as I had to take the car in for annual low Km service. My dealer is a 2.5 hour drive from my home so I had lots of time to test and play. It was a very hot and humid day and I was running 94 Octane down and 91 Octane back home. No Discernable 'warble' in the power or tone, none in normal mode and none in sport mode.

This leads me to believe that something may be odd with the ESS Tune that I have. Why the problem just became noticeable this year and not last is beyond me. Roman; is there any way we can figure this out?

Thanks.
I would love to hear the explanation.
Appreciate 0