New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

Not one, but TWO rims cracked (style 296, of course)

Here I was, thinking I was lucky. I had read most of the threads about how awful the style 296 wheels were, especially on crappy roads, but up until now had thought I lucked out and got the indestructible set. WRONG!

I took it to the dealer today when the rear right tire pressure low warning came on, thinking it was just a puncture and a slow leak. It was just about due for the annual oil service, and I noticed the coolant level low warning appear intermittently. Dropped it off this morning, nothing eventful to report; I was optimistic I might get it back today.

But then the SA calls me and tells me that the two rear rims are both cracked! The one with low pressure actually had SIX cracks in it.

Thankfully I got the tire insurance when I leased the vehicle, so this will all be covered, but they only had one rim in stock and had to order the other.

I guess I learned my lesson and will take the forum's advice on rim selection in the future, haha. Or maybe not -- despite their flaws, I can't say I like any of the non-M rims better than the 296.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Join the group guess you read my wheel dilemma in the threads as well. Happy you have the issue covered.

Happy trails, only one tip have your wheels checked often most important before a road trip.

Happy trails.

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
Here I was, thinking I was lucky. I had read most of the threads about how awful the style 296 wheels were, especially on crappy roads, but up until now had thought I lucked out and got the indestructible set. WRONG!

I took it to the dealer today when the rear right tire pressure low warning came on, thinking it was just a puncture and a slow leak. It was just about due for the annual oil service, and I noticed the coolant level low warning appear intermittently. Dropped it off this morning, nothing eventful to report; I was optimistic I might get it back today.

But then the SA calls me and tells me that the two rear rims are both cracked! The one with low pressure actually had SIX cracks in it.

Thankfully I got the tire insurance when I leased the vehicle, so this will all be covered, but they only had one rim in stock and had to order the other.

I guess I learned my lesson and will take the forum's advice on rim selection in the future, haha. Or maybe not -- despite their flaws, I can't say I like any of the non-M rims better than the 296.
It will be interesting to see if you get two of the upgraded design. Keep us posted. The newer design has a much more noticable step on the inboard edge. Like the photo below.

Here's a link where you can also see the older design revison.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=296

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep

I just got a call from the SA: he said while my wheel insurance would cover the rims it would not cover the tire, because it wasn't afflicted with a road hazard (regardless of the fact the road hazard cracked the rim which deflated the tire which caused the wearing). My question is the $550 reasonable for a replacement 19" tire mounted?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
I just got a call from the SA: he said while my wheel insurance would cover the rims it would not cover the tire, because it wasn't afflicted with a road hazard (regardless of the fact the road hazard cracked the rim which deflated the tire which caused the wearing). My question is the $550 reasonable for a replacement 19" tire mounted?
I paid $475 for a new 19 inch tire installed by BMW about 2 months ago. I lice in SC so the difference is price is probably regional. I can't believe that they won't replace the tire with the insurance. I thought it covered a tire problem no matter what.......which is why I bought it!
      06-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow I'd imagine the tire being covered as well, this is ridiculous coming from the dealer. But maybe i'm dense, why do you need to replace the tire? are the tires damaged and can't be mounted on the newly replaced rims?
      06-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
I paid $475 for a new 19 inch tire installed by BMW about 2 months ago. I lice in SC so the difference is price is probably regional. I can't believe that they won't replace the tire with the insurance. I thought it covered a tire problem no matter what.......which is why I bought it!
The SA asked "what insurance company" did I get when I leased the car when I dropped it off. I was surprised, thinking it was all done through BMW (the dealer where I bought the car literally said you could take it to any dealer and they could look it up with the VIN no problem). He explained that there were upwards of 25 companies BMW dealers use for the wheel insurance!

I thought it covered everything too, though I'm glad the price seems just to be a regional difference and not outrageous. He argued with the insurance company about it, but because there was no nail or puncture or other road hazard, it didn't cover the tire itself. The SA explained that the only reason the tire is wearing on the inside is because it lost pressure when the rim cracked; apparently even to a supervisor this didn't matter.

Anyway, the wheels are back on the car and I've picked it up. One thing I really like about my dealer's service center: free car wash and interior cleaning every time! My old VW used to come back from the dealer especially dusty. I had a look through the spokes and it seems like I got the "new design" rim, though I'm not positive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
It will be interesting to see if you get two of the upgraded design. Keep us posted. The newer design has a much more noticable step on the inboard edge. Like the photo below.

Here's a link where you can also see the older design revison.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=296

I have also a cracked 296, this picture proves there is something cooking in the 296 kitchen.

Strange enough the old and redesigned 296 both have the same part number.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
I have also a cracked 296, this picture proves there is something cooking in the 296 kitchen.

Strange enough the old and redesigned 296 both have the same part number.
I do not think it is strange as BMW is probably attempting to hide the fact that the first 296s were flawed and the second version is a fix - they do not want to pay for thousands of wheels around the world; I know it sounds like a conspiracy but I think the evidence speaks for itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

I would argue this.

No outside forces damaged the tyre therefore the rim is defective and not fit for purpose and should be replaced along with the tyre the wheel damaged whilst said wheel failed. Replacements from BMW.

And/or can you not argue that a pothole did this, damaging both the tyre and the rim (at the same time) or does the insurance not cover potholes?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
HerrK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I do not think it is strange as BMW is probably attempting to hide the fact that the first 296s were flawed and the second version is a fix - they do not want to pay for thousands of wheels around the world; I know it sounds like a conspiracy but I think the evidence speaks for itself.

I totally agree with you on this. BMW was rolling up the PN on every iteration of the HPFP debacle because it was affecting their bread & butter 3 series - they couldn't really afford to upset the masses. On the other hand E89 is a small segment and they do not roll the PN on the 296 rim. They have the "Ultimate" excuse that low profile tires can damage the rim easily. Certainly no conspiracy "Truth in Engineering" - not at BMW, more like CYA and limit financial damage. It's really nothing new for them, they've done it in the auto and MC segments many times before.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

What do you guys think about the role of tire pressure in all this? Could there be a higher likelihood of damage if the tire pressure is lower?

I've been using the slightly higher air pressure on the yellow placard on the driver door partly as a speculative precaution (the thinking being that less air will allow more sidewall flex, which might cause the rim to hit the road surface when going over the edge of pothole at higher speed).

Thoughts/feedback?

Also, anyone have a measurement on the thicker lip of the modified style 296 wheel? I'm trying to figure out which version of wheel is installed on my Dec 2011 build date car.

Back on topic: What about trying to recover from the city by using a process similar to the one outlined in this website for San Diego?

http://americanfactorywheel.com/blog/archives/57
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What do you guys think about the role of tire pressure in all this? Could there be a higher likelihood of damage if the tire pressure is lower?

I've been using the slightly higher air pressure on the yellow placard on the driver door partly as a speculative precaution (the thinking being that less air will allow more sidewall flex, which might cause the rim to hit the road surface when going over the edge of pothole at higher speed).

Thoughts/feedback?

Also, anyone have a measurement on the thicker lip of the modified style 296 wheel? I'm trying to figure out which version of wheel is installed on my Dec 2011 build date car.

Back on topic: What about trying to recover from the city by using a process similar to the one outlined in this website for San Diego?

http://americanfactorywheel.com/blog/archives/57
All I can add here is that when I had my Z435i with 296 wheels and RFT I checked my tire pressure on a weekly basis and found often I had to make adjustments.

Naturally if you run low on air pressure your tire may deteriorate (otherwise BMW would not limit you on the milage on a flat) also a tire with low air pressure IMHO will exert yet even a higher force on the rear inner rim due to the stiff sidewall on the RFT and the negative 2.5 camber you have on the rear wheels.

A US Tire shop manager (when I had my cracked wheel on the Z4) told me to run higher air pressure on the rear if I carry luggage and the roof in the trunk for extended periods of time.

Hope this helps.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
marcom01
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.5i sdrive (year 2010)

Design CH-R Brilliant Silver Wheel

Hi, i just registered and i was reading above, I got the same problem with my wheels i have been changing them twice...
So now i am going for the Design CH-R Brilliant Silver Wheel, only i would like to buy the 20" x 8 j in the front and the 20"x8,5 for the rear.
Someone would be so kind to give me an advise, it will be very appreciated. thanks.... what kind of tires as well.... by the way i am talking about bmw z4 3.5i year 2010.... sorry
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
Glad to see the version 2 photo has made the rounds. Update, i also thought i was lucky and only had the one but alas, a slow leak on the opposite side.
Someone mentioned that the new version has the same part number. i checked that with parts last time and i think it was slightly different. Double check this with your parts dept first.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

I can confirm, the old and new revised 296 have the same part numbers, 6 785 257, shown on one of the spokes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
I want to make sure my update is read by all of you that have been denied a new 296.

As in my earlier post, just found low pressure on my rear old 296.
Dealer says 5 or 6 cracks but (important) no damage noted and not out of round tolerance.

The dealer replaced my second 296 under warranty and even put back on my old fairly worn rft. I do not have wheel insurance. The new wheel is the thicker version2. Remember this is my second bad rear wheel.

So, this has cost BMW two new 296's one new RFT and service time.

My faith in them is still intact but i'm am really ready for the Michelines.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #18
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Yea View Post
So, this has cost BMW two new 296's one new RFT and service time.
Your lucky, I got an invoice of 1350 euro, 1 rim and 2 new tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
teog60
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i

I like to inform all that the cracked-296-rims-group is enlarging.
2 rims in 31.000 km !!!!
Obviously, I've no hope to have a refund from BMW.
Bye
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
HerrK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teog60 View Post
I like to inform all that the cracked-296-rims-group is enlarging. 2 rims in 31.000 km !!!! Obviously, I've no hope to have a refund from BMW.
Bye
Obviously. Because it is quite apparent that someone already tried to repair these once, and did a pretty awful job of it.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
teog60
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Obviously. Because it is quite apparent that someone already tried to repair these once, and did a pretty awful job of it.
Did you mean to those little fill of material ??
I already noted it, but it's very strange... I never ordered a simil job.
And I newer noted cracks in the rims. This is the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i GC

just bought a used car with these rims and waiting to get a jack to take them off and have a good look. i did raise the question with the dealer who of course denied all knowledge of any problems with the 296 but did say they had been checked.

also just before i drove away, after a high speed test drive, i noticed the front tyre was low. he pumped it up and said that embarrassingly when the wheel had been re-furbed it had been neglected to be pumped up at all. so how do a know if it has been damaged?
Appreciate 0