New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
froggomatic
Froggomatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Deep Sea Blue

Ipod adapter

I have a 2011 Z4 35i and did not get the ipod adapter with the purchase of my car. Is there anyone out there that is making an after market add on that will allow my iphone to display on current stereo system?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

well your BMW dealership will sell it to you as an accessory. They will also install it (with warranty, normally). This is the peace of mind solution.

Aftermarket: I would suggest EAS
http://www.europeanautosource.com/in...acturers_id=25

stuff from DICE eletronics.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
froggomatic
Froggomatic
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I will look to a dealership for the accessory .
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
you can use the auxiliary port and save some $$$

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
froggomatic
Froggomatic
United_States
Rep

I got the cord from the apple store and it works great from the auxiliary port, but it is not controlled from stereo. Is there something that can help me do that? I do not have the navigation package.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
I got the cord from the apple store and it works great from the auxiliary port, but it is not controlled from stereo. Is there something that can help me do that? I do not have the navigation package.
Mine also comes with the aux-out only. To connect to the audio Head Unit so that you can select/browse song titles, you will need a usb connection in your Z4. I know you can installed that with an option to replace the aux-out connector in your center console with a combo (aux-out and USB port) but that's not a cheap solution. It will require rewiring to your audio Head unit.

I supposed the current setup with the aux-out is to plug your cable to the headset connection on your ipod. From sound quality perspective, that is the worst as I understand that the ipod will do the DAC function and treat the connection like a headphone output. The other more elegant approach is to connect via 30pin connector (docking port). This, i understand will allow the ipod to stream raw digital data to your Head unit to do the processing (DAC). If you have a sound processor, you can also link your HU to your SP and let your SP do the DAC conversion before pumping it to yr amp and speakers.

Sorry for the long reply. Just some options you can explore.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
froggomatic
Froggomatic
United_States
Rep

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Did an A-B comparison of the BMW Y-cable and standard headphone jack cable (2.5mm plug). You can hear the diff right away. Sound quality from the std headphone jack cable is just crappy. Muddled, poor bass, scratchy, blend and vocal clarity is not crisp. When I switched it to the Y-cable, the imaging is much better, clearer, better separation, improved bass, etc. Do use the same piece of music so you can compare apples to apples. So for those who only have an aux-out and find that you cannot stand the sound quality of your apple Ipad/Iphone. This is the cheapest solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidgold View Post
Did an A-B comparison of the BMW Y-cable and standard headphone jack cable (2.5mm plug). You can hear the diff right away. Sound quality from the std headphone jack cable is just crappy. Muddled, poor bass, scratchy, blend and vocal clarity is not crisp. When I switched it to the Y-cable, the imaging is much better, clearer, better separation, improved bass, etc. Do use the same piece of music so you can compare apples to apples. So for those who only have an aux-out and find that you cannot stand the sound quality of your apple Ipad/Iphone. This is the cheapest solution.
If you plugged into the headphone jack of the iPod/iPhone, that's the issue -- it's amplified but at low levels, and is intended only for headphones. You can get a pure line level audio from the dock connector using any number of dock cables on the market (doesn't have to be BMW's). The dock line level is louder and clearer than what the headphone jack delivers, and is intended to be paired with other audio components.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

But, you can still not control the ipod from your head unit.. The only solution is to get the ipod BMW adapter.
Appreciate 0