New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Front lower grilles, where to buy and how to remove?

Evening,

I'm looking to replace my front grilles (both upper kidneys and lower intakes) later this month, with gloss black ones. I can find gloss black kidney grilles with no problem and have found tutorials on this forum how to remove/fit them, just wondering if anyone can help me out with the lower grilles?

A) anyone have a link or idea where I can purchase a set? I'd like to spray/wrap one set and keep my current ones in case I don't like them or want to go back to the stock 35i grilles.

B)How is it i'd go about removing/installing them? Same as the kidneys with the 8 fixtures?

Thanks,
Tom
      02-11-2016, 03:48 AM   #2
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

1) The kidneys are REALLY easy and fast to remove, if you are willing to take a certain risk.

First I tried to follow the regular procedure, removed the intake hood and lift each of the 8 (each side) retaining lugs from the back with a small screwdriver while gently trying to pull the kidneys out to the front. Awful! I ended up without success after 20 mins, having severely cut my arms on the sharp metal.

Finally I simply put on my gloves, pressed with one hand against the center of the bumper (to keep it in place) while jerkily pulling the outer side of each kidney. 90 secs of work, everything perfect.

OK, you should only do this if it's warm (or if you preheat the plastic bumper and the kidneys with a hairdryer) to keep the platic smooth. Even this precaution might not prevent you from tearing some of the retaining lugs - but that has not happened to me.

2) What bumper do you have? "M" or "non-M"? Looking at your avatar, I think it's non-M. That's good, as you do not need to remove the bumper in order to remove the lower grilles.

A) You can order the grilles from your dealership (for part numbers look here: http://bit.ly/1TUeBcR)

B) To remove the grilles, you may follow this tutorial: http://bit.ly/1SJNrGI (English translation with google: http://bit.ly/1Po6QbT). Unfortunately, the pictures are very small for "guests" of the site, so you might want to register with zroadster.com (you can switch to English by clicking on "Deutsch [Du]").

Best regards

Mick

EDIT: Sorry, replaced wrong tutorial with correct one.

Last edited by Mick70; 02-11-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330ixT

as it comes to m-front bumper, you gotta take if off to replace the mesh...

see the bottom of this thread
      02-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
1) The kidneys are REALLY easy and fast to remove, if you are willing to take a certain risk.

First I tried to follow the regular procedure, removed the intake hood and lift each of the 8 (each side) retaining lugs from the back with a small screwdriver while gently trying to pull the kidneys out to the front. Awful! I ended up without success after 20 mins, having severely cut my arms on the sharp metal.

Finally I simply put on my gloves, pressed with one hand against the center of the bumper (to keep it in place) while jerkily pulling the outer side of each kidney. 90 secs of work, everything perfect.

OK, you should only do this if it's warm (or if you preheat the plastic bumper and the kidneys with a hairdryer) to keep the platic smooth. Even this precaution might not prevent you from tearing some of the retaining lugs - but that has not happened to me.

2) What bumper do you have? "M" or "non-M"? Looking at your avatar, I think it's non-M. That's good, as you do not need to remove the bumper in order to remove the lower grilles.

A) You can order the grilles from your dealership (for part numbers look here: http://bit.ly/1TUeBcR)

B) To remove the grilles, you may follow this tutorial: http://bit.ly/1SJNrGI (English translation with google: http://bit.ly/1Po6QbT). Unfortunately, the pictures are very small for "guests" of the site, so you might want to register with zroadster.com (you can switch to English by clicking on "Deutsch [Du]").

Best regards

Mick

EDIT: Sorry, replaced wrong tutorial with correct one.

Thanks so much Mick! A massive help and have answered all me questions. I'll order a set of additional grilles and spray mine in the meantime. It is a non-m sport, well clocked!

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
TommyDJG
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavproch View Post
as it comes to m-front bumper, you gotta take if off to replace the mesh...

see the bottom of this thread

Mines a non m-sport but thanks for the help and link!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:12 AM   #6
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Appreciate 0