New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #23
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

appearance !
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
Greg-Zed4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph. 2.8Z4

The longer stock antenna looked classic but the stubbier version is far more practical. Having a need to put a car cover on, it slips easily over the stub version. If I get the Dayton wire wheels i'll probably switch back for style. Problem I have with my 18" Potenza RFT RE050A summer tires is they won't wear out. I've got 18K on them and the tread depth is almost brand new.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
COOLZ4
Secret Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35is

The antenna that came with the car was loose & wiggly. The previous owner must have over tightened it or something. My teenage son purchased the short one for me for fathers day. I really like it a lot and prefer its look over the previous one. And it does make it easier when putting the car cover on.
Attached Images

Last edited by COOLZ4; 04-29-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Zed4 View Post
Problem I have with my 18" Potenza RFT RE050A summer tires is they won't wear out. I've got 18K on them and the tread depth is almost brand new.
You can hurry up the tread wear by cornering at higher speeds and using the full throttle more often.

I took 2 sets of the OEM tires from full tread to just above the wear bars in 15k miles....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlnnrt View Post
appearance !
Plus the original one hit me in the eye at least twice....
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #28
BMW665
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89

I hear Michelin is now making PSS RFT's. They are on the new C7 Corvette but don't think they fit the Z4's yet. Now the question is, if you could get them would you go back to RFT's?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #29
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

On 17" and 18" the 3rd gen RFTs would be an (expensive) option worth considering in countries with higher quality road surfaces. Especially since the suspension, steering, ABS etc are actually tuned for RFTs...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLZ4 View Post
The antenna that came with the car was loose & wiggly. The previous owner must have over tightened it or something. My teenage son purchased the short one for me for fathers day. I really like it a lot and prefer its look over the previous one. And it does make it easier when putting the car cover on.

Ever since I put the new wheels on the car, it seems everyone wants to race. I smoked a Corvette the other day. I was cruising in the fast lane at steady speed when the guy in the Corvette got on the freeway and blew past me. It was a black late model with custom black wheels & exhaust. He then slowed down as if to allow me to catch up. As I was coming up next to him, he floored it & so did I. My Z4 flew past him so fast it was unbelievable. He tried hard to catch up but just couldn't do it. I later heard that drag racing is a felony so I had better cool it.
Your car looks really bad-ass from a distance with those wheels. The Z4 really does have the ability to look both elegant and raw depending on which wheels you mount.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Hello all,

I had my grief with RFT and 19 inch wheels (I don't want to bore you with details, since I no longer have the Z4).

I just like to pass on the tip I got from a Tire Shop Manager in the US that has seen many Z4's rear tire wear. He said;-

"If you go for a trip with luggage in the trunk and lot's of driving with the top down then make sure your tire pressure is to spec. and add at least 2 PSI above specification to the rear tires"

He went on

"also your rear wheel camber is -2.5 degree your rear tires will last longer as will your rear wheels if you have that reduced to -1 or -1.5 degree"

Anyway that is what he said, take it for what it's worth .... just passing it on to you.

Happy and safe driving with your car once the snow melts

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

Michelin PSS sizes

Quote:
I went ahead and got the 19" Brombacher wheels and non-run flat Michelin Super Sport tires. I couldn't be happier. The ride & handling have improved beyond expectations and I think it looks better.
CoolZ4,

What sizes in 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Non-RFT) tires did you fit?

I'm struggling with availability of the original 19" width/profile for the rears in PSS in Australia, and hope you (or anyone) can assist me with an alternative.

Cheers, BLKZ
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #33
BMW665
Private
Rep

for those that are using Non Run Flats, how did you work with the tire shop to not use run flats? My understanding is they will not swap you out unless you have a spare. There must me alternatives
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
jrob8604
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:

Ever since I put the new wheels on the car, it seems everyone wants to race. I smoked a Corvette the other day. I was cruising in the fast lane at steady speed when the guy in the Corvette got on the freeway and blew past me. It was a black late model with custom black wheels & exhaust. He then slowed down as if to allow me to catch up. As I was coming up next to him, he floored it & so did I. My Z4 flew past him so fast it was unbelievable. He tried hard to catch up but just couldn't do it. I later heard that drag racing is a felony so I had better cool it.
Is your Z4 modded heavily? I can't see a Z4 beating out a vette. stock 2008 model vette can go to 0-60 in 4sec flat
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #35
COOLZ4
Secret Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKZ View Post
CoolZ4,

What sizes in 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Non-RFT) tires did you fit?

I'm struggling with availability of the original 19" width/profile for the rears in PSS in Australia, and hope you (or anyone) can assist me with an alternative.

Cheers, BLKZ
The sizes are 235/35/19 front & 265/30/19 rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
COOLZ4
Secret Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob8604 View Post
Is your Z4 modded heavily? I can't see a Z4 beating out a vette. stock 2008 model vette can go to 0-60 in 4sec flat
The car presently has no modifications. This little 335HP twin turbo will get up and go when you punch it. I was already doing close to 80MPH when the guy in the vette wanted to race. I over took him & have no idea how fast we were going. I only wish I had caught it on camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #37
COOLZ4
Secret Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW665 View Post
for those that are using Non Run Flats, how did you work with the tire shop to not use run flats? My understanding is they will not swap you out unless you have a spare. There must me alternatives
My work was performed at the BMW dealership with no problems. I also carry a compressor & tire repair kit in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #38
F1LOCO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Quote:
No issues here...$25.00 a tire to swap out. I supplied the tires from best priced vendor I could find.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #39
BMW665
Private
Rep

Maybe its just a Costco requirement but thought it was across the board for all tire shops so they are not legally obligated to make sure you are safe. I really like the compressor with sealant idea. this should be standard for all vehicles
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #40
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
I really like the compressor with sealant idea. this should be standard for all vehicles
Yes, but to be honest I never would use the sealant. To clean the rim after usage is terrible. I did it once, but never will do it again. And by the way, in more than 20 years of driving, I had one puncture...

I use the compressor to pump up the tire from time to time if I have just a small puncture. If this is not possible I call BMW service to transport my car to the next dealer.

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #41
BMW665
Private
Rep

when you finally get to the tire shop after using the sealant, isn't it a simple spray with water to wash out the sealant? The following seems to be a good solution to using run flats. The compressor and sealant if you want to use sealant. I like the idea of not using sealant but if you are stranded in a remote area, it may be the only solution, Also having both the compressor and sealant in one solution gives you peace of mind and allows most of us to go forward and buy non run flats without that "stranded" feeling

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...re%2BInflation
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #42
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

To be honest in Germany there are no real remote areas where you have to wait longer than an hour to get help. Perhaps that is the reason that just the compressor works for us here...

Never used that sealant which comes with the compressor, just another one in a pressure bottle with sealant included. Costed me hours to clean the rim from it. And it did not work out, because the cut was to large to seal it with the sealant...

Last edited by itf joegun; 03-02-2014 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #43
BMW665
Private
Rep

peace of mind. I feel now with your input I can move ahead with non run flats. they are very noisy and you feel most every bump. With the compressor its cheap insurance and gives you something to play with while the tow truck in route.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #44
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
peace of mind. I feel now with your input I can move ahead with non run flats. they are very noisy and you feel most every bump.
Yes, and I think comfort and sportiness are the main advantage of the non-runflats. You feel it every mile you are driving the car. So for me the runflats are not really logical, that surplus with the better safety and mobility in case of a puncture costs us the daily comfort and the sportiness during the whole cars lifetime.

Other companies like Alpina (BMW based more exclusive cars) never sell cars with runflats and that is also their argumentation. And for the M235i you must order runflats as a zero cost option here in Germany if you want some. So it seems that BMW also did a change in their strategy here.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hear from you in this thread once you did the change and report us your experience.

Appreciate 0