New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I envy your feeling. I've had no major issues, but a lot of minor ones. Its taken the shine off the ownership experience and its not likely it will be a keeper.
Quote:
Still 50/50 on this as its not been the most reliable car.
What issues have you all had with your e89s?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
Just got it back from the dealership a couple of days ago. 2nd HPFP replacement, and 3 new injectors.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Will keep it until I get the new Corvette Stingray
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
The common stuff, at least for the early 35i..

HPFP Failure. Water in rear lights. Roof Rattles. Cracked 296's.

More than I should have had from a premium brand. Will teach me to get the first of a model before they've found all the bugs. Will wait a few years next time!

Car is great now after many dealer trips. Still have one rattle on the rear deck, tried v hard to find it, can't.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #27
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Just got it back from the dealership a couple of days ago. 2nd HPFP replacement, and 3 new injectors.

how many miles do you have on your Z4?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
how many miles do you have on your Z4?
I think I just hit 16k miles.

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

I would like to keep mine as long as possible. But these %^$%#@#! rear deck rattles starts to be really annoying.
It is a 3/2009 build which includes all early defects...

Maybe I buy the LCI and keep it for long time then ?!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I guess its official: not getting a MY 2009.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

whoa, nothing too mechanical on mine (yet). She's a '12 with 9k miles.

So far I've had the AC control unit replaced (AC unit just decided to not work every other day... kept going into 'transport' shut down mode...), and some headlight issues.
On the car's maiden voyage I must have hit a highway control joint pretty hard and it damaged the rear headlight auto-leveling sensor... which happened again on the 101 outside of San Francisco. The Monterey dealership fixed it both times (after I told them how), and swore they fixed it "for good"... so far so good, but nothing quite like hitting a pothole on the drive home and not having any useful headlights.

The rear deck rattles some, but it's not too bad. I wonder what it's like compared to the e92/3 hardtops.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
I am past 40.000km on my euro-spec 2009, and the only major problem I have had is oil leaking from the DCT. It had to be repaired twice. On the plus side I got it flushed in the process.

Yes the recirculation air-vent squeeks, and I use alot of silicone oil to keep all the rubber and plastic parts well and quiet, but I somehow enjoy that.

You can save a lot of money if you buy a 2009 (both initially and when considering the loss of value over years). Especially given they kept the less fuel efficient N54, and the mild LCI, a 2013 will never be worth the extra money in the same way a 2009 is worth the extra money over a 2008 last-generation Z4. That is, unless you want some of those newer color options.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 01-17-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
I would like to keep mine as long as possible. But these %^$%#@#! rear deck rattles starts to be really annoying.
It is a 3/2009 build which includes all early defects...

Maybe I buy the LCI and keep it for long time then ?!
I have a Dec 2011 build date 2012 model year 35i.. 6 months and 5500 miles and I am starting to get a rear deck rattle also. I don't think getting a later car or LCI will solve things.

Last edited by nicknaz; 01-18-2013 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #34
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If I were you, I'd not get anything before the LCI.. These cars are not well built, BMW have had lots of issues with them, and the people that don't have issues now, will likely soon as I hear more and more from global forums that these cars do not age well.

N54 issues, HPFP, Injectors etc. N52 Lifter issues. Roof failures, Water in lights, Many Rattles, Plastics failing, Cracked Wheels, Hydraulic leaks etc, and these cars have only been around 4 years max.

Completely outrageous considering their cost and brand. Those alarms that play the 'Step away from the BMW' aren't telling you not to steal it, they're telling you to leave the brand while you can...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #35
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

You can always buy the 7 yr/100k miles extended warranty

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #36
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Angry

Quote:
I have extended warranty.. but really, do you want to be taking your car in all the time? I've never had so many problems with a car and I've had lots of cars in my lifetime. Even my old fiat had less issues. Having said that, I had nearly as many issues with my e85... nearly.

These are lovely cars, but so many things can and do go wrong it makes you wonder if something more basic isn't the way forward.

Where's the "disappointed in BMW" smiley (or not smiley as the case may be)?

Last edited by ManiacGT; 01-18-2013 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: Typos.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #37
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

really ?

Quote:
If I were you, I'd not get anything before the LCI.. These cars are not well built, BMW have had lots of issues with them, and the people that don't have issues now, will likely soon as I hear more and more from global forums that these cars do not age well.

N54 issues, HPFP, Injectors etc. N52 Lifter issues. Roof failures, Water in lights, Many Rattles, Plastics failing, Cracked Wheels, Hydraulic leaks etc, and these cars have only been around 4 years max.

Completely outrageous considering their cost and brand. Those alarms that play the 'Step away from the BMW' aren't telling you not to steal it, they're telling you to leave the brand while you can...

Other than the Fuel Pump - no problems here ! could it be where you drive, the roads, or the way you drive - ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlnnrt View Post
Other than the Fuel Pump - no problems here ! could it be where you drive, the roads, or the way you drive - ?
lol they're not all MY problems, but problems I've read on forums around the world... I've had my fair share though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
These are lovely cars, but so many things can and do go wrong it makes you wonder if something more basic isn't the way forward.

Where's the "disappointed in BMW" smiley (or not smiley as the case may be)?
+1

I've read similar things and have started to experience some of the issues (all minor so far) so I believe that my car has a high probability of being a maintenance handful for the next owner.

I took the fact that the storage door leading to the ski sack wouldn't open when the sales person was demonstrating the car's features on delivery as an omen my decision to lease and walk after the contract ends was a good one

I am enjoying my car a great deal but I am going back to a 3 series if I stay with BMW at all after this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #40
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This makes me wonder what parts are made in china, if any. I know they have a motorcycle engine plant in china but what else. It's a shame they're not as reliable, but i'm still getting one lol.

Quote:

I hear most of the water in light issues are in UK, which from what i understand...most days are damp/wet. So i can see this being an issue, but i don't hear much of this being a problem in the US, I may be wrong but this is what i've gathered so far in different forums.

HPFP issues, are more common than LPFP. I think i can see why, but why does this part go bad so often, and how can this be fixed? is the fuel pump made in china? Whats the deal with this and why is there no recall? and cracked wheels...Getting 18 inch wheels, but dont know what style yet.

And i wish i could walk away from my Z4 fandom but i can't. It's like going out with a beautiful woman head to toe who has absolutely nothing going for her but her looks, you just can't walk away from that. I'm hoping i can rectify all these problems myself. I'm mechanically inclined and curious enough to want to know how the E89 works.

Quote:
Oh i will, but i don't know if i can trust dealer mechanics. 1/2 of the dealers in my area have horrible reviews, not good. And by horrible, i mean they know nothing about these cars, and somehow have their jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
I am past 40.000km on my euro-spec 2009, and the only major problem I have had is oil leaking from the DCT. It had to be repaired twice. On the plus side I got it flushed in the process.

Yes the recirculation air-vent squeeks, and I use alot of silicone oil to keep all the rubber and plastic parts well and quiet, but I somehow enjoy that.

You can save a lot of money if you buy a 2009 (both initially and when considering the loss of value over years). Especially given they kept the less fuel efficient N54, and the mild LCI, a 2013 will never be worth the extra money in the same way a 2009 is worth the extra money over a 2008 last-generation Z4. That is, unless you want some of those newer color options.
I hear the top has some kind of tension adjuster that can be tweeked to the proper setting, but the rear...hmm. I see alot of 2009's have alot of problems by that common issues with E89's thread.

It's still a mix, but i see more 2009's with issues, so i think i rather spend more for less hassle. The E85 i have has no issues with the softop, but i take real good care of it and i make sure i take alot of precautions to make sure it lasts long before i upgrade.

Last edited by R1robot; 01-18-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot
This makes me wonder what parts are made in china, if any. I know they have a motorcycle engine plant in china but what else. It's a shame they're not as reliable, but i'm still getting one lol.
Really? They're a pain and you want one? There must be other cars just as good, better, and more reliable?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #42
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Well, I bought one instead of leasing one, so I'm sticking with it lol. May transition this into weekend car status in the future though.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #43
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really? They're a pain and you want one? There must be other cars just as good, better, and more reliable?
You can't blame the guy. The car is gorgeous

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #44
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at a 350z convertible or 2009 corvette convertible, they have more power and yadda yadda blah blah but i made up my mind a long time ago when i drove my friends Deep blue E89. Looks to kill and it handles great with that adaptive suspension. I love my E85 and it gives me more problems then all the other car's i've owned but It's worth it.
Appreciate 0