New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
zedguy
Rep
Drives: 2011 z43.5is

even with the Iphone cradle, the phone still has to connect via bluetooth so you must pair it and have it on. The only advantages to the cradle besides palying music is charging and connection to the car antenna for better reception. Oh, and less back pain because your wallet will be thinner
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I don't read e-mail while driving so both my iPot and standard phone (no iPhone) are in the arm rest tugged out off sight. This way I can concentrate and enjoy my drive.

My daughter had her iPhone connected to the iPot connector during our road trip. I even enjoyed some of her music like Lady Gaga. She controlled the play list on the RHS radio button I still have to figgure out how she did it.

Making a note, got to get me a CD from Lady Gaga. Then I be cool I think

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #25
Banton
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: ordered: '11 35is loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhan View Post
If you want to connect your iPhone to your car with bluetooth and make phone calls through your car, then you'll need the "BMW Assist with Bluetooth" option for $750.

With the "Smartphone Integration" option, you'll get another connector in the center console in addition to the connection that accepts the cable. This other connector is where you'll snap in an iPhone cradle that you'll have to order separately from the parts department for another $130-$180. The cradle allows you to easily snap in your iPhone instead of using that clumsy cable. The bmw website doesn't indicate that the cradle is separate and something you'll have to pay extra for when selecting the "Smartphone Integration" option. If you select the "Smartphone Integration" option, you'll also have to select the "iPod and USB adapter" and "BMW Assist with Bluetooth" options also.
O.K., so here's the deal. Found a new 35is with Premium (so it has the BMW Assist with Bluetooth), and it has the iPod/USB Adapter. It does NOT have Smartphone Integration. Can I use the button on the steering wheel, and can I make or receive calls through the speakers? I do not use an iPhone-I use Android. The dealer says that they can't install Smartphone, that it is a factory-only option. I will use an iPod for tunes. Is there a cradle that will fit my phone?

What am I losing by not having Smartphone Integration?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #26
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
The smartphone integration enables two things:
1) Your cell phone will use the AM antenna.
2) Your cell phone will get power from the cradle.

The cradles is currently only for iphones and blackberries...

My opinion? You do not need this. Just keep your phone in your pocket and use the bluetooth function of the car. That's what you are asking for.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:04 AM   #27
Banton
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post

My opinion? You do not need this. Just keep your phone in your pocket and use the bluetooth function of the car. That's what you are asking for.
Thanks for the explanation. So I can use the phone button on the steering wheel and the speakers/mic in the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #28
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Absolutely you can!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #29
Banton
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

+ 1
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
Z4-2023 Mike
Z4 Mike
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2023 Z4/M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
I just installed the cradle P/N # 84212158683 but I won't see the iphone icon pop up on idrive? What did I do wrong?
Funny thing is when connected with cable and I can play audio from iphone.
If all is setup ok with the Z4...options were purchased...suggest you turn the iPhone off (hold power and home buttons together, slide power off) and back on. See my post above.
Appreciate 0