New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #177
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

all E89 will open and close while driving, just not up to 25mph. the purpose of this is so it would open/close with one touch and also fold your mirror. you can come to your destination, turn off the engine, press the close button and walk away or open it while you are approaching the vehicle and dont have to hold for 20 seconds on the remote control
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #178
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymdd View Post
Can some one please make a video of the installation ? I can't figure out which piece to take out XD
It's simply Plug and Play, but we'll try to get a view next time a Z4 module is installed at our facility.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #179
lcheong
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black Sapphire 30i Z4, Bl

Installation instructions ...

For those of you that don't have the installation instructions for the plug-n-play version of the SmartTop ... here is the PDF doc ...

Honestly, the hardest part for me was learning how to take off the black plastic plugs. The trick is to realize that there is a sleeve that the main part itself fits into (sort of like an anchor you stick into the wall). So, pry off just the TOP part of the plug. Then pull out the top part. Finally, pull out the sleeve. When re-installing, just put in the sleeve by itself, then push in the top part of the plug.

The other "hard" part was finding a way to jam in the entire unit before putting everything back together. But you'll find a way to do it with trial and error.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf smartTOP-installation.pdf (3.55 MB, 584 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #180
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheong View Post
Hey Buckaroo ...

So, my understanding is that the 2013 models already support opening/closing the top while moving -- perhaps not up to 25mph anymore, but still while moving. That was one of the main reasons people installed the SmartTop, but it sounds like the other features were enough to get you to install it as well -- i.e. the one button operation from the console, and the ability to operate it while away from the car.

I've had mine installed on my 2011 model for quite a while now and find it absolutely invaluable and can't imagine the car without it. And I agree that this is the way the car should be delivered out of the factory to begin with.
Yes the One touch feature (on the internal button and the remote) is the main reason... I hated holding down the button... you can't do anything else... put the car in park or turn off the engine... or having to hold the remote button down the entire time too... now, I find a parking spot... touch the close button, proceed to park, turn off engine, and lock the car. all the while the top is finishing closing up and then rolling up the windows... saves me 30secs!

Also automatically folding and unfolding the side view mirrors when locking and unlocking the doors is a nice touch too.

Thanks to EAS for shipping it to me so quickly too!!

Last edited by BuckarooVT90; 11-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Kudos to EAS!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #181
lcheong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
Yes the One touch feature (on the internal button and the remote) is the main reason... I hated holding down the button... you can't do anything else... put the car in park or turn off the engine... or having to hold the remote button down the entire time too... now, I find a parking spot... touch the close button, proceed to park, turn off engine, and lock the car. all the while the top is finishing closing up and then rolling up the windows... saves me 30secs!
Yes, that is really nice. I do it all the time and it saves time AND is very impressive to folks that happen to be nearby, which I'm sure you've noticed

But one thing that I HAVE to fix is that I sometimes have the issue where after all four windows roll up, either or both of the front windows start rolling down automatically. This could be a pain if you just walk away from your car expecting everything to close and you find out that one of the front windows is open @#$!!!! Some days, the left-front window will automatically roll down more than 50% of the time. Drives me crazy. I know the fix is to convince the dealer to install that relay to delay the rear windows from closing. The last time I brought it in, they insisted on just "recalibrating" the window closing, which worked for about two days before it was clear that it didn't help.

But as it is right now, I do what you do when I park the car, but I feel like I have to watch all the windows close up before I can walk away. I try to look cool in the process, but I would feel much cooler if I could just walk away.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #182
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

ive never ran into that problem but i have experienced a different problem. this only happen if i use the remote control to lock and close the top. the trunk would open and the top would not completely finish closing. i have avoided that problem by pressing the close button inside the car then close it and lock the doors. it may be my fault as well because i pressed the button while the remote control is still inside my pocket and accidently press the trunk button
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #183
lcheong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
ive never ran into that problem but i have experienced a different problem. this only happen if i use the remote control to lock and close the top. the trunk would open and the top would not completely finish closing. i have avoided that problem by pressing the close button inside the car then close it and lock the doors. it may be my fault as well because i pressed the button while the remote control is still inside my pocket and accidently press the trunk button
I think I know what you did. SmartTop has their own "Comfort Trunk Access" mode which is triggered by either a double tap of the trunk button (if you have comfort access) or by pressing and holding the UNLOCK button for at least 3 seconds while the top is already open. My guess is that you did the latter (i.e. you meant to press the CLOSE button but you were pressing the OPEN button by mistake). It is a very cool feature, actually, results in the top going up half way and then the trunk popping open.

The operating instructions to SmartTOP for the E89 is here, BTW:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...eration/en.php

Read the information on Function 3.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #184
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I have had similar occurences with my key fob in my pocket being activated too. I learned the hard way not to have my key fob in my pocket while working in the trunk with the top and trunk half way open and paused. I must have activated the key fob in my pocket while I was working on my amps in the trunk and the top started to close in on me and I had to quickly get out of the way and pull stuff out before it closed and damaged something.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #185
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

yea, it only happen to me when i have the key fob inside my pocket so its probably my fault. i just didn't want to get out the key fob knowing i have comfort access. kind of defeat the purpose of having it. i pressed the button inside the car and then exit the car. so far no problem with the unit
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #186
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The biggest problem that I encounter is that my trunk keeps popping open when I get in the car. My key fob is too sensitive in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #187
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Maybe your jeans are too tight :
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #188
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Maybe your jeans are too tight :
I love my Z and she excites me a bit too much maybe.
Appreciate 0