New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-28-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
TOOFST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Drivetain Malfunction :(

So im driving on the Highway earlier this evening and all of a sudden my car starts to stutter really bad and this error pops up on my nav "Drivetrain Malfunction". I barely made it off the road before the car completely shut off on me. Tried to start the car a few time afterwards with no luck. The car would run for about 2 sec and then shut off again. Almost as if the no fuel was hitting the engine. Had the car towed to my nearest BMW Stealer here in Chicago (24hr drop off lot). Hopefully they let me know whats going on tomorrow AM. I have 9k miles and have had 0 issues before this.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Also, i couldn't get the car into neutral (DCT). I checked the owners manual, all the forums and couldn't find anything on how to get the car into neutral manually. It locked into Park and could get it out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
TOOFST
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Finally got a call back from my BMW Dealer. The problem with my car was so bizarre, they had to call BMW HQ for a solution!

My car ran out of gas! The sensor which indicates the fuel level was stuck on 1/2 tank and never moved, so i never received a notice of low fuel. The senor is oviously inside the gas tank so they need to replace the whole tank.

Now that i recall, i do remember thinking how great my gas mileage was lol
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Lol oh man, at least it was nothing major!

I bet the technicians all had a good laugh once they found out what was wrong after being so stumped.
Appreciate 0