New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Removing headlights

Anyone know if the headlights can be removed without removing the front bumper? Trying to get a sense of how involved it will be to ship them to OSS.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Well first of all the bumper is behind the bumper cover. You would probably have to remove the bumper cover. I haven't tried this, but looking at the photos of when I did my M bumper cover install - there are fasteners for the headlight that require removal of the fender linings and probably the bumper cover as well.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Well first of all the bumper is behind the bumper cover. You would probably have to remove the bumper cover. I haven't tried this, but looking at the photos of when I did my M bumper cover install - there are fasteners for the headlight that require removal of the fender linings and probably the bumper cover as well.
Sure, by "bumper" I meant what you call the "bumper cover," not the metal and foam structure that actually plays a role in crash dynamics. On my M3, I had to remove the front bumper (cover) to get the headlights out, which meant the car had to sit for a week with no bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thought I'd bump this. (Pun not intended.)

Anyone have a how-to on how to remove the headlights on our Z4?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive 30i

Would like to know as well. After a monsoon storm this week came to find out the cap for the xenon bulb was not secured. Now the RH side xenon is not lighting at all. Checked the fuses & they are fine. Not sure what to replace, xenon ballast, control module, or maybe complete unit? Unfortunately 3 hours away from any dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 650i cupe

Quit certain you have to remove the bumper unit to remove your head lights. That’s what the bmw mechanic had to do when one of my head lights had to be replaced.

What is OSS, and why are you sending your head lights to there?

RedRabbit, hope you don’t have to swap the whole unit. Unit + labor were more than 2K usd here in Norway Luckily I had warranty that covered the whole bill
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Quit certain you have to remove the bumper unit to remove your head lights. That’s what the bmw mechanic had to do when one of my head lights had to be replaced.

What is OSS, and why are you sending your head lights to there?

RedRabbit, hope you don’t have to swap the whole unit. Unit + labor were more than 2K usd here in Norway Luckily I had warranty that covered the whole bill
Indeed, I did have to remove the bumper. It was relatively easily, actually. There are a bunch of 8 mm fasteners in the wheel wells and underneath the bumper, then some more holding it on from the top. The headlights were kind of a PITA to remove due to one fastener that is underneath the headlight itself.

OSS is a company in Miami, Florida, that specializes in upgrading headlights. Basically, they paint in the housings inside whatever color you want and then install real LED angel eyes. They look great (though the new LED angel eyes are very hard to capture in photos as they appear blurry when in fact the rings are crystal clear):

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive 30i

Well I bought a whole new unit from eBay.de & installed it. 8mm nuts in the fender well and under the bumper cover and a couple torx holding the headlight itself & more holding the top of the bumper cover. Took the old one out & new one in in all of 90 minutes. Could easily do it in under an hour now knowing how it's done.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Seechun
Rep
Drives: Z4

FYI I have my headlights currently at OSS getting raptors installed. I think I'm the first z4 e89 they're adapting as the initial size (made for 3 series) didnt fit, but they're working away on it still which is great.

I'll post an updated pic once I get them back, looking forward to it!
Appreciate 0