New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Headlights: Not projecting very far

I don't drive our Z4 much at night, but every time I do, I come away feeling like something isn't right with our headlights. It seems like they aren't projecting very far out in front of the car at all. Especially compared to my Mini, which illuminates the street a good deal in front of the car. But all I can see on the Z4 is perhaps 10-15 feet in front of the car.

In addition to not projecting very far, there is a very discernible line between the illuminated area and the dark area, whereas with my Mini, the light there is a more gradual fade from light to dark. The only way to get what seems like a normal/safe amount of illumination on the Z4 is to turn on the brights.

Is this just par for the course with a car this low? I would make me feel better to know that others have noticed the exact same thing with their cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I share your feeling! I guess it is just because the car and seating position is so low.
But remember to clean the headlights! It seems that a few dead insects can make a big difference with these type of lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
... all I can see on the Z4 is perhaps 10-15 feet in front of the car.
Your car has a problem. Problably one of the lighting level senors (one on the frt and one on the rear suspension members) are either reversed or faulty. The Z xenon projectors are the best lights I ever driven. My low beams provide lighting at least 3-4 car lengths.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response, gents. Yes, HerrK, I think you're right. I suspected it might be a faulty auto-leveling sensor. Would such a thing show up if I scanned for diagnostic codes?

Anyway, it's probably worth a trip into the dealer (though, truth be told, the service department is never open when it's dark, lol).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Adjust them manually. I found my beams were too low. From memory if you look down behind the lamps there is a white hex socket, screw that to adjust the dip beam up or down.
I still find the mains seem to point up at the trees!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey Hujan,

There were 2 times when I noticed my lights were pointed down and not illuminating very much road. I think this happened when I went over some speed bumps too fast in the work parking lot.

The issue went away after going over more bumps and restarting the car.

I would recommend you get the sensor checked out before you try to do any self adjustment with the screws.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
...I suspected it might be a faulty auto-leveling sensor. Would such a thing show up if I scanned for diagnostic codes?...
I've had this issue before. As mentioned above, the auto-leveling headlight sensors in the wheel wells can get damaged or "flipped" if you hit a pot hole or large road hazard too hard. There will be no fault codes for this.

Also, adjustment screw on the headlamp assembly is used for fine tuning... so don't mess with that until you get the sensors fixed. (You shouldn't need to adjust this screw at all)

This has happened to me twice... both times I hit a rather large pot hole or construction joint on the highway doing 80mph.
After the first occurrence, the problem was intermittent because the car's computer was getting sporadic signals from the sensors (sometimes the headlights would be correctly lowered, sometimes they'd point straight down).

My dealer hadn't dealt with this issue before so I had to tell them where to look. Whatever they did didn't stick, because a few months later the problem reoccured. The second trip to the dealer was much more successful and the problem hasn't repeated in over a year of normal road driving.

My guess is the techs weren't initially familiar with this issue... but they are now.
Going to the dealership with knowledge in hand is always a good thing. If they're unfamiliar with auto-leveling sensor problems, tell them where to start looking.

previous thread.: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418453

Last edited by vasmir; 07-28-2013 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Hujan, are you using OEM headlight bulbs? One of the things people don't understand is that higher temperature bulbs throw off less light. Is this your problem?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

I agree with Hujan. I don't drive at night that often, but when I do the projection distance is very low. Half a car length at best, definitely not 3-4! I have thought about asking on here, but I just always attributed it to the design of the car, as the nose appears to dip down. Maybe this is something I should bring up during my next service... In regards to the auto-leveling sensors as the problem... Auto-leveling is only active in "Auto" and not on "On." So if it were a sensor problem, wouldn't it go away if I manually turn the lights on instead of on using auto? I've tried this and the projection distance doesn't change.

In regards to the OP's Mini... does it have xenon or halogens? I know for xenons there is usually a very distinctive "cutoff" as people in the light world call it, to prevent blinding other drivers. While halogens have this as well, since they are not as bright as xenons, this line fades and blends into the darkness.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
vasmir
eh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
In regards to the auto-leveling sensors as the problem... Auto-leveling is only active in "Auto" and not on "On." So if it were a sensor problem, wouldn't it go away if I manually turn the lights on instead of on using auto? I've tried this and the projection distance doesn't change.
Yeah I used to think that too... but:

The auto-leveling feature is always on. You cannot disable it (from the headlamp control switch). Switching the lights from "Auto" to "On" will only disable the "adaptive" feature that projects the lights left to right in the direction you turn the steering wheel. The auto-leveling feature can't be disabled that way since it's considered safety related.

Trust me... when I had this problem 2 years ago I tried that too. But turn the car on with the headlamps already switched to "On" and not "Auto," and the lights will still go through their little 'auto-leveling' procedure when initializing... and if you have a sensor issue, they'll still point straight down.

Name:  IMG_4558<untitled>.jpg
Views: 11616
Size:  66.8 KB

Last edited by vasmir; 07-28-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you for clarifying. I just assumed that if the "adaptive" function was off, the whole self-level would be off too, but have not tried starting the car up with it on "on."

So, if it does auto-levels on start-up (as in, it tilts up and down) does it mean it is not a sensor issue and it is supposed to aim that low? Because mine auto-levels properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #12
vasmir
eh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
... So, if it does auto-levels on start-up (as in, it tilts up and down) does it mean it is not a sensor issue and it is supposed to aim that low? Because mine auto-levels properly.
From what I recall about my last sensor issue, the headlights will do their up/down initial check all the time, regardless.
The "flipped" sensor in my case just gave the headlamps a faulty angle to aim after their initial check was complete. Because mine was a mechanical issue, it didn't give the techs any fault codes to read either.

If you do a google search for "BMW auto leveling headlight" (here are some related e90post threads), you'll find this is a common issue on BMWs equipped with Xenons. Sometimes the wheel well sensor gets "flipped". Sometimes a sensor shaft cracks. Sometimes people installing aftermarket suspensions break them and don't even know it. One guy had the back of his Xenon lamp control arm pop out of it's socket... that had nothing to do with the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I have the same issue.

Sometimes at night they seem to give me 1 car length worth of light and not very often it is like 3 lengths. The times I am only getting 1 length, I can go up or down a hill and they will adjust, and for a second after I crest the hill the lights will be lined up perfect then you see them auto level back to pointing down.

In the city it is not that huge of a deal but on the highway doing 70-80 it is real scary. It makes me drive faster so I can lead the pack and use my high beams, those work perfect.

My AWD F150 Limited & the wife's Sonata (halogen projectors) has a better light pattern than my Z4....

What we need to do is get some of the same measurements from the cars that do and don't have the issue to see where they are aimed. Has to be taken from level ground and from the same distance to a flat surface.

Also, the people here that are not seeing this issue are you ever getting high beams flashed at you as if you are blinding on coming traffic?

I had the same issue on my Harley Vrod where they light was pointing down, so I just started adjusting the light up until I could see better, While riding that night I would get a high beam flash and would pull over and adjust it down until no one would flash their lights, took all of 30 min one night to correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Switch your headlights on, the beam moves up and down, when it settles, lift the bonnet (hood) and screw the adjusters to set the dip to your requirement. Simple job. I had to do it has the beam has very sharp cut off and i couldn't see more than 15 feet in front. All now well.
And you just have to accept the mains pointing higher than desired, just because its a crap design.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Glad to see I'm not alone in this.

To answer some of the questions posed above:

(1) I didn't change the bulbs so I assume they are factory.

(2) My Mini does have Xenons. They are probably the best headlights I've ever had on a car. The Z4's, in their current configuration, are probably the worst.

I have to have the oil changed anyway, so I'll have them take a look at it. If they don't see anything wrong, I'll still try to adjust them upwards. If it can remember, I'll take a "before" and an "after" shot on my street so we can compare.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Here's a pic of my headlights on a normal evening. You can see the sharp, low cutoff on the left extending reasonably far down the street and on the right the beam extends higher as expected. I'm pretty pleased with the visibility.

On the 2 occasions when I've had an issue, the pattern looks like the pic vasmir posted, and I would definitely be at the dealer if my lights consistently looked like vasmir's picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Here's a pic of my headlights on a normal evening. You can see the sharp, low cutoff on the left extending reasonably far down the street and on the right the beam extends higher as expected. I'm pretty pleased with the visibility.

On the 2 occasions when I've had an issue, the pattern looks like the pic vasmir posted, and I would definitely be at the dealer if my lights consistently looked like vasmir's picture.
One does not simply fill its tank before the Fuel Reserve message..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiZ4 View Post
One does not simply fill its tank before the Fuel Reserve message..
Hey I thought this was about the headlights

look at the headlights and ignore the fuel light
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was never the one to be on top of my fueling in any car, but maybe cause the Z4 has such a small tank but I feel like I am always driving with that displayed on my car... and until the remaining mile is at "--"

Anyway, I finally had a chance to drive the car at night last night after a month or two. It appears the lights fixed itself, as I am getting about 3 car distance projection. Will take a picture tonight if I can get a chance to compare them to Nick's, but maybe all the knocking around from the rough roads "fixed" the sensors? Definitely still not as good as my other 2 vehicles, but a lot better than the meager 5 feet I was probably getting before.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #20
bmwmick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 Z3,'11 Z4 35i,'90 C4 Vette

The Z4 Xenons are definitely not a 'crap' design. They are about the best lights on any vehicle I currently own. Three Halogen bike headlamps, one Xenon bike, one other Bi-Xenon car and a Halogen truck. I DID move the
passenger side lamp up and out just a bit to get the great pattern I have now.
They illuminate at least 3 car lengths ahead and the high beam position is great on lonely stretches of I-8(where it is VERY dark). Lots of illegals out there too, I would hate to hit one in the dark. "but the border is safer than it's ever been according to the liars in DC"

Mick

Last edited by bmwmick; 08-08-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I did notice the other day something I was not aware of.

With the light switch set to auto the adaptive lights work, when set to on the adaptive lights do not move with the steering wheel. The Auto Level works in both modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #22
erichui
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 z4 sdrive30i AW/CR

I definitely feel like my e89 z4 have at least as good, if not better Xenon lights than the other cars I've driven, all with factory equipped Xenon:

-MY02 MINI (didn't have projector headlight)
-MY04 MINI (facelifted with projector headlight)
-MY09
-MY11 x3

Sounds like you have a faulty auto leveling sensor.

I actually had a faulty sensor too, and even after adjusting the lights manually, they will either be too high up or too low after a while. After I got them adjusted twice and eventually telling my dealer about it, they found a fault and replaced some parts (I think it was the light bracket or something, and stopped the headlight from adjusting itself properly), and now the headlight is perfect, and I hardly need to use my high beam (I still do use it because they are just so bright!) I would say I have at least 3-4 car length of coverage.

Before I replaced the part, I could either have my lights aiming as high as high beam of a normal car, or as low as only being able to see about 5m in front.
Appreciate 0