New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

New Owner - Howdy

Hey Gang,

On Saturday, I traded in my 2013 Galaxy Grey 135i w/ M-Sport package for a 2016 Black Sapphire Z4 28i. Loved the 135i but was basically overcome by the looks and driving feel/position of the Z4. It has the black Kansas leather, tech package, cold weather package, 8-speed sport auto, sport steering wheel, and upgraded premium audio system. Love how flat and composed it feels in turns.

It was a BMW-Corporate car (used by some suits in South Carolina), so was sold "used" with 3200 miles on it (which saved me about $15K+). So I'm the first "real" owner, and the warranty goes through 12/20.

I had just put MPSS tires on the 135i a few thousand miles ago, so I'm missing those already (new car has Bridgestone RFTs).

Just wanted to say hello, and had a few questions:

Anyone else's key sometimes not work to lower the top? Seems it has to be buttoned-up and locked for the top button to work.

Where is a good place for Z4 accessories online? I'd like to get splash guards (hopefully there's a BMW kit for the Z4?).

What kind of gas mileage are people getting? I drive 70/30 highway/town, so am hoping 30-32.

Thanks!

Ed P.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather

Last edited by Ed P; 06-26-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Opening the top with the key fob

The remote top opening uses the same antennas as the comfort access, so the key has to be within about 3 feet of either door handle or the trunk emblem, where the antennas are located.

The range is limited, because you wouldn't want someone to be able to unlock the door by touching the handle if you were, say, inside your house but close to the car. And you wouldn't want the top to open from a distance if the fob button got squeezed with it in your pocket, as occasionally happens with the alarm for me (different antenna, longer range).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

^What SpikeMilligan said and, additionally, it doesn't have to be buttoned up either way for the remote to work. This came in REAL handy installing my subwoofer as we were able to stop the top in any position we needed.

Also, welcome. I, too, came from a 1er. I had 2012 Arctic White 135i M Sport. I had always had a crush on the Z4, too, and, at the same time, was sick of my 1er. I saw my 2016 on the showroom floor of the dealer on a ridiculous lease deal, so I just HAD to take it. Mine is a hail damage car from the storm a year ago that was well-repaired. This car is SO much more comfortable than the 1er was, let alone any other car I've owned.

Check out this thread for splash guards:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...=748302&page=2

Since mine is a lease (turn in will be 7/2019) and I would have to put new tires on it anyway, I opted to just eat it up front buying 19" wheels and MPSS. It will go back to the dealer with the stock 18's and the same Bridgestones I rolled out of there on. I'll sell the wheels and end up having paid the same amount as a new set of RFT's or actually make money.

Not going to be any help on the fuel mileage due to engine differences. My lead foot yields about 16 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Thanks for the great info guys!

Spike - Didn't realize I had to be that close to open with the key fob -- makes sense, and explains my experiences.

Davis - thanks for the link about splash guards, I'll check it out. I was still loving my 135i after 3 years, but was just so smitten with the Z4, especially in that black metallic paint. What did you find not comfortable about the 135i?

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
Davis - thanks for the link about splash guards, I'll check it out. I was still loving my 135i after 3 years, but was just so smitten with the Z4, especially in that black metallic paint. What did you find not comfortable about the 135i?
The suspension was the biggest gripe I had. Too harsh from the factory with the linear springs and changing to progressive rate Eibachs didn't help as much as I thought. MPSS didn't mitigate it much either. The car never felt comfortable and just drove like a brick. The short wheel base made for less than desirable handling overall. Too much understeer and too quick to oversteer (and not in a good way). Not as stable at high speed as I would expect from a BMW. The steering, N55 engine, and DCT were the only redeeming factors, but those weren't enough for me to like it and keep it.
Appreciate 0