New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Question #2: What happens if you say "BMW" on your other car forum(s)?

IMHO it's very undeserved, but sometimes I've found people make negative assumptions about you on those three letters alone.

Example, someone got $2000 worth of repairs due to,a battery going bad. I mentioned the issue with the e90/92 DIY battery and some redneck asks wth a BMW has to do with it. Another dude goes he always mentions BMW.

Haha are they not all cars? It's hard being rich......(um joke)

Edit: one time with the above two clowns, I mentioned Corvette. Now tweedle dumb goes wth does Corvette have to do with anything, tweedle dumber says he always finds a way to mention BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Wait...there are other car forums?
      09-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

You turn into Beetlejuice
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Wait...there are other car forums?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

Haha are they not all cars? It's hard being rich......(um joke)
Owning a BMW doesn't always reflect your "richness" it's more about the likes.

Rednecks like squared lifted ugly pickup trucks. Forunately BMW doesn't make this kind of trucks. Also BMW can't me lifted 10' up in the air, have big ballon tires and of course no room for hitch and confederate flag on the back. Two very different types of people and likes. I do like those trucks specially the really well built ones but I will never own one. Not my type.

Don't even mention a BMW to an old school guy that it's only into Americana things. Also you might get into a stupid discussion with Vette guys and Camaro guys, not to mention Mustangs.

When I bump into one of this guys I just let them be. There is no point of getting into these stupid arguments, the car will say it all. Let them be.

Mentioning another brand on this forum is just for comparison. Actually there is a guy trying to sell a 1980 Jeep Wrangler or something like that. What's the point? Who know.

Bottom line is that there are cars out there for every taste and pocket. And just because you own a BMW, MB or any other sport car means your rich. My 2 vents
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
You turn into Beetlejuice
Sorry lost you on this one
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Not too sure about other forums but I catch shit in person all the time. My GF was even like "why did you buy a BMW those costs so much to maintain...it's just going to break down"... lol Friends pretty much said the same thing. When I rolled into work on the Monday after I got my M4 tons of necks got broke and man the hate poured in. I'd hear people talking about it in the elevator, lobby, over by the receptionist.

However there is this kid at work I purposely trolled. Quick backstory - He told me he was a 'car guy'. I asked him what kind of car he was going to get and he said a mustang. Told him 'cool man a GT. Those are pretty sweet'. He said 'No man.. the v6 that eco-boost engine is awesome'. Then he scoffed at me like I didnt know a damn thing about cars. My co-worker (female) doesnt know a damn thing about cars and even laughed at him. Eventually 2 weeks later he bought a Focus ST.

I found out where this kid parked on a daily basis. He sits in his car for a bit texting and listening to music before work. I parked my car right next to him. I dont think he could see me too well because of my tint and the lighting in the parking lot. When he got out of his car and still looking at mine I waited about 10 seconds and stepped out. Said "heyyy man! Good morning!" and that's it. The look on his face when his jaw hit the ground was priceless.

I parked next to him for a few more days then just let it be. He probably still talks shit to all his friends but whatever.
I never really thought about doing something like that and it was probably a huge d-bag move but it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I want people to think I'm cooler than I really am, so I mention it as much as possible. Sometimes followed with grace and praise by my peer, sometimes an eye roll.

Lately I've been carrying my motorcycle helmet with me everywhere, even if I drive. Chicks dig bikes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
It's funny of how you automatically gain a certain perception or status about a car, even if it's 9 years old and there's one repair begetting the other... But then again I rarely visit other forums, but I have gotten flamed elsewhere online while I was going through a rough patch last year and someone said something like "he drives a Beamer [sic] and doesn't need to be here"... As in what, I can pull up to the Ritz-Carlton and automatically get a penthouse suite I flash my keys?

Also how even homeless people treat you different is uncanny; I could easily dismiss them in other cars, but if I don't give them money and they see my car I'm automatically a "snob" or "rich motherfucker".
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 09-29-2015 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Free cupcakes or trip to looney bin.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
It's funny of how you automatically gain a certain perception or status about a car, even if it's 9 years old and there's one repair begetting the other... But then again I rarely visit other forums, but I have gotten flamed elsewhere online while I was going through a rough patch last year and someone said something like "he drives a Beamer [sic] and doesn't need to be here"... As in what, I can pull up to the Ritz-Carlton and automatically get a penthouse suite I flash my keys?

Also how even homeless people treat you different is uncanny; I could easily dismiss them in other cars, but if I don't give them money and they see my car I'm automatically a "snob" or "rich motherfucker".
haha I agree....it's amazing, however, how practical the majority of people are, meaning if they can't easily afford to buy/operate, they won't, and the will always compare to say the Honda Accord, and they judge those who did spend extra. I think Honda Accord is boring, but smart and practical. But with some, you can never convince them that there is sometimes more than just getting from point a to point b.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
When I rolled into work on the Monday after I got my M4 tons of necks got broke and man the hate poured in. I'd hear people talking about it in the elevator, lobby, over by the receptionist.
I had a similar reaction when I picked up my 8 YEAR OLD M coupe. I told a few of my work friends about it because we are friends, and some of them like cars. I showed a few of them the first time or 2 I drove it to work as well. I started getting random ass people asking me about it. Obviously this "news" was going around the office. The hell?

I concluded it is more of a jealousy of my "freedom" since I have no kids and am not relegated to the 'conservative' life. Also, maybe they are just ignorant to the age and price tag, who knows.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
J.J.K.
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:

I've had my 7 year old car for a week and have gotten this reaction twice. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.K. View Post
I've had my 7 year old car for a week and have gotten this reaction twice. Ridiculous.
If it were a car person, while yours looks sweeter, they'd realize the person in the 2016 320i is the "rich m********" because of what they just spent, vs. what they actually got for their money. A 328i is a 4 cyl. car and avgs 53k list!
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
If it were a car person, while yours looks sweeter, they'd realize the person in the 2016 320i is the "rich m********" because of what they just spent, vs. what they actually got for their money. A 328i is a 4 cyl. car and avgs 53k list!
Yet if you know where and when to buy, you can pick up a new stripper 328i under $30k. My friend picked up one recently.
      09-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Yet if you know where and when to buy, you can pick up a new stripper 328i under $30k. My friend picked up one recently.
That sounds like a pretty good deal to get both a stripper and a 328i for under 30k.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #17
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Thread gets closed for off topic I guess?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Quote:
I keep a cardboard sign in my car and flash it back at them that says:
"The guy behind me has money"
or
"There is no money, only Zuul"
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I've mentioned a few times on the infiniti forums about my M4, and they had lots of love for BMW. Even asked to post pics!
      09-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Krockit1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialgemini View Post
I've mentioned a few times on the infiniti forums about my M4, and they had lots of love for BMW. Even asked to post pics!
Yep, same with MX-5 forums. Some flak but most are cool, especially when I mention I am searching info on modding out a 2016 model and making it into a beast. At first they thought I was nuts for trading off to the MX-5, but I'm just adding it- never going to part with the M! Funny part is, the (extensive) parts list for the modded Mazda is less than 7g's... And it will be bad ass!!

There will always be haters. They come with the car the minute you start your drive home.
      09-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #21
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.J.K.
Quote:

get used to it man. it's crazy. even when I had my 2008 335i ($34k used, new accord territory) and my 2002 m3 ($25k used, used accord money) it was always "he is a bimmer driver, damn doctors" etc. laughable. but then I know a kid who owns like 4 BMWs, total worth around $12k, who acts like he's a millionaire .. example he gave at a local BMW meet: "I was on the new BMW showroom and kept opening and closing the door to the 7 series on display to marvel at the self-closing mechanism.. the receptionist asked me stop and I told her I could keep doing it because I have three BMWs"
.. he's like in his early 20s ... it's hilarious. this is the attitude he has with his peers who drive other makes which is really irritating. not helping the negative press.

don't forget BMW owners are the most likely to NOT yield to pedestrians at crosswalks (source: internet). I make it a point to be overly courteous on the road and in parking lots because of that ha!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #22
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

My only contribution to this thread is to save the Ecoboost Mustang's rep. It's actually a good car.
Appreciate 0