New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: In a global natural disaster like Yellowstone erupting "big," would you prefer to....
Die quickly, more or less when the thing happens 2 8.33%
Be among the survivors and take your chances that you'll "get by" in relative comfort 21 87.50%
Kill yourself if you didn't go quickly in the initial event in order to avoid "wasting" 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

09-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #23
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Ok now we're talking conspiracy theories and cover ups. I'll have to read up on that stuff to see if any of it actually seems to hold water. But I know if you go to the USGS sites you can see what data they have on the previous eruptions. the biggest one I think put some level of ash on about half the country.

If it doesn't even cover this country in full, I don't see how it will blanket the whole atmosphere in ash and block out the sun. Unless for whatever reason it gets trapped up in the atmosphere and doesn't immediately fall back down to earth, and then travels around the globe.
Well, the thing to seek there -- and I haven't yet gone looking for it -- is whether current predictions found on the USGS site are consistent with what independent researchers are also projecting. I don't mean the predictions should be 100% consistent, but there should be an "order of magnitude" similarity.

Red:
No, I'm pretty sure the ash won't cover the whole country all that deeply. The part it will cover, however, is the part pat produces most of the friggin' food and possibly shut down major segments of the power grid. (http://westernfarmpress.com/manageme...d-ranking-1-50 and http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...mber-of-farms/)

I would be somewhat less concerned if the ash were going to cover the bulk of the vacation resorts or even lay waste to aerospace manufacturing, petroleum producing/refining, or auto manufacturing industries. I am sure that tough as it may be, we could all find ways to get by without those things. Food and electricity on the other hand are far more critical, although the former is the most important.

(Source: http://news.agu.org/press-release/ye...north-america/)

(Source: http://www.tetonwyo.org/em/topics/volcano/201723/)

Thinking again about food, it's not just a matter of destroying growing crops and the land on which they grown. One must also think about transportation of food items. Another consideration for which I really haven't got an answer is what happens if such an explosion prevents U.S. from exporting food items? Something tells me that people who are angry with U.S. policies before the explosion won't become sympathetic to us once they begin to starve because they live in places that can't pay higher prices for food that would then be in short supply.

More than being sympathetic to U.S., however, is the matter of how they'd react to other nations. Would the whole world turn into a battle whereby the strong and nuclear equipped are the only one's who survive? Would they somehow manage not to attach one another? I don't know, but I do know that millions of hungry people are capable damn near anything. It is what that in mind that I wonder what there would be around a year after such a cataclysm that merits wanting to be around for?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #24
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, the thing to seek there -- and I haven't yet gone looking for it -- is whether current predictions found on the USGS site are consistent with what independent researchers are also projecting. I don't mean the predictions should be 100% consistent, but there should be an "order of magnitude" similarity.

Red:
No, I'm pretty sure the ash won't cover the whole country all that deeply. The part it will cover, however, is the part pat produces most of the friggin' food and possibly shut down major segments of the power grid. (http://westernfarmpress.com/manageme...d-ranking-1-50 and http://www.statista.com/statistics/1...mber-of-farms/)

I would be somewhat less concerned if the ash were going to cover the bulk of the vacation resorts or even lay waste to aerospace manufacturing, petroleum producing/refining, or auto manufacturing industries. I am sure that tough as it may be, we could all find ways to get by without those things. Food and electricity on the other hand are far more critical, although the former is the most important.

(Source: http://news.agu.org/press-release/ye...north-america/)

(Source: http://www.tetonwyo.org/em/topics/volcano/201723/)

Thinking again about food, it's not just a matter of destroying growing crops and the land on which they grown. One must also think about transportation of food items. Another consideration for which I really haven't got an answer is what happens if such an explosion prevents U.S. from exporting food items? Something tells me that people who are angry with U.S. policies before the explosion won't become sympathetic to us once they begin to starve because they live in places that can't pay higher prices for food that would then be in short supply.

More than being sympathetic to U.S., however, is the matter of how they'd react to other nations. Would the whole world turn into a battle whereby the strong and nuclear equipped are the only one's who survive? Would they somehow manage not to attach one another? I don't know, but I do know that millions of hungry people are capable damn near anything. It is what that in mind that I wonder what there would be around a year after such a cataclysm that merits wanting to be around for?

All the best.
Truly desperation is one of the scariest things on earth. It would not be pretty, but I know myself. I'd like to think I can come up with some options to make living worthwhile. Certainly not one to back down from a fight. Whether that means setting up fort here and figuring out food and protection, or fleeing to another part of the world. As scary as the prospect of a life based purely around survival is, with something this hit or miss, I can't see wishing to die in the immediate blast so I don't have to deal with whatever lies ahead. Not to mention we might have others who need our help.

And back to the hypothesis' on what this eruption will actually do. With todays technology and the state of the nation, even under the worst of the forecasts, I don't think that the country/world will be an apocalyptic waste land with nothing but mobs of humans killing each other for oil/food/water. Martial law might become reality in places, depending on the level of violence rampant, but i'm still down to give it a whirl before wishing myself vaporized in the initial blast.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #25
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

my thoughts...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1