New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
z4hunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Lux Angel Eyes installation: right bulb blocked by screw??? :(

I've spent the past two hours trying to get these things installed, and really need some advice from someone who has done this before! My hands hurt, my eyes hurt, my brain hurts... lol.

The left headlight (looking from the front) installed just fine, I was able to turn the bulb and pop it out, then replace it with the Lux. However, the right H8 bulb just won't come out... the car manual says to turn the bulb 90 degrees counter clock-wise... that's great, except there is a massive screw blocking the bulb from turning. The left side worked because the screw was on the clock-wise side, meaning I never hit it. However, since the car is symmetrical, the right bulb doesn't budge, since the screw is blocking the bulb housing from turning counter-clockwise. Should I be turning the bulb on the right side clock-wise instead to avoid the screw?? That doesn't seem to make sense, and directly contradicts the manual. Not sure if that made sense, so i've attached some pictures.

Picture 1: The bulb housing starts off in the upright position
Picture 2: The bulb needs to be turned clockwise in order to come out
Picture 3: I can't turn it to the angle in picture 2, because of the fatty screw blocking the bulb housing from turning
Picture 4: Another shot from a different angle

Any help would be immensely appreciated... I would really like to get this done tonight, I'm doing this at my friends house and i'd like to avoid driving home with one orange angel eye and one white angel eye
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
tot
Private
Rep

I changed mine but it was a while ago so I can't remember details but I don't remember any problems to get the old ones out. However, the manual just says turn about 90 degrees but it does not state direction in the version I have, so just try whatever way you can turn it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
z4hunter
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot View Post
I changed mine but it was a while ago so I can't remember details but I don't remember any problems to get the old ones out. However, the manual just says turn about 90 degrees but it does not state direction in the version I have, so just try whatever way you can turn it.
My manual has a diagram of the right headlight, with an arrow showing that the turn should be 90 degrees to the right (counter-clock wise). I'm worried about turning it hard in the other direction, because by all logic that would be a clock-wise turn. The way I see it, there can only be three things going on here, given that I've read enough posts of people successfully installing this thing:

1. I'm retarded and I'm missing some very obvious point
2. The 2011 Z4s changed the bulb/headlight housing and the screw that's blocking the turn is a new thing
3. You do actually need to turn the damn thing clock-wise to take it out, and the manual was simply not updated to reflect this?

Gahhhhhh.............
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
tot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4hunter View Post
My manual has a diagram of the right headlight, with an arrow showing that the turn should be 90 degrees to the right (counter-clock wise). I'm worried about turning it hard in the other direction, because by all logic that would be a clock-wise turn. The way I see it, there can only be three things going on here, given that I've read enough posts of people successfully installing this thing:

1. I'm retarded and I'm missing some very obvious point
2. The 2011 Z4s changed the bulb/headlight housing and the screw that's blocking the turn is a new thing
3. You do actually need to turn the damn thing clock-wise to take it out, and the manual was simply not updated to reflect this?
I consulted 2010 PDF manual and it has similar arrow implying counter-clock wise. My 2009 housing looks like yours with a screw that only allows one possible direction to turn so I would say the manual is just misleading. Manuals are not infallible...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
z4hunter
Registered
Rep

Totally agree, I'm willing to accept the manual is wrong. That said, I'm really hoping someone who has installed the angel eyes before can confirm before I go ahead and twist really hard in a potentially wrong direction. Just don't want to break the headlight housing... =/
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
z4hunter
Registered
Rep

Damn, just tried turning it to the left (clockwise), the bulb wouldn't budge, even with me putting as much force as I could. It just felt tighter going in that direction, but I could just be imagining that part. It looks like the manual is correct, but what the hell... Calling it a night, gonna drive home with
multi colored headlights, my fingers are super sore and I'm really frustrated. Will check back tomorrow morning, hopefully someone has some insight...

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
I changed the LED myself, to take the H8 bulb out, face the same problem

Solution: turn to the opposite direction
both head light are mirror image construction , then need a mirror image movement
      01-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4@Phuket View Post
I changed the LED myself, to take the H8 bulb out, face the same problem

Solution: turn to the opposite direction
both head light are mirror image construction , then need a mirror image movement
I know its a old thread now but wanted to thank you for your help, I too was genuinely annoyed/frustrated with taking the bulb out.

A firm but hard twist the other direction did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I also just installed my the LUX eyes on my wife's 2010 Z4 35i - they look great and it took about 10 minutes due to the difficulty in getting out the original bulbs (they are hard to turn).
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
I also just installed my the LUX eyes on my wife's 2010 Z4 35i - they look great and it took about 10 minutes due to the difficulty in getting out the original bulbs (they are hard to turn).
Post up a picture when you get a chance. I'd like to see how they came out
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep

Thumbs up

It's difficult squeezing your hand in that tiny space but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
You can see my results here on both Z4 and M3: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631510
      01-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Post up a picture when you get a chance. I'd like to see how they came out
I will this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post

Thanks for the picture!!!! They look more realistic if you take the picture from father back too
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post

the lights looks great but the car look sick maybe a bad pic due to lighting
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Thanks for the picture!!!! They look more realistic if you take the picture from father back too
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
the lights looks great but the car look sick maybe a bad pic due to lighting
Pictures taken from my blackberry camera
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Stallion
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i

Hi Guys,

I've registered on the forums having just purchased a 35i and want to start with some small modifications

Having done some research on various forums it seems that the general concensus is that the Lux angel eye bulbs are the dearest, but arguably the best, LED angel eyes available? So with this in mind I would like to purchase a set for my e89... I'm based in Norfolk, in the UK, and would like to know if there is anybody currently discussing a group buy at the moment?

Alternatively, perhaps if either Mark from Angel eyes would give me a price directly or if anyone can recommend an approved reseller for the Uk who is competitve with the pricing, it would be most helpful.

I think because my account is new I haven't yet had the private messaging feature enabled but if admin can allow this it would help me liase with Mark regarding purchasing.

One last thing, from what i could see on the Lux website there doesn't appear to be an installation guide for the E89. Has anybody got a link to an install pdf or similar.

thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Mark sell these bulbs directly, no reseller. Just order off the website. I think they're US$245. Install is straight forward; just remove the OEM bulbs (see owner's manual) and twist in the Lux.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Stallion
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Mark sell these bulbs directly, no reseller. Just order off the website. I think they're US$245. Install is straight forward; just remove the OEM bulbs (see owner's manual) and twist in the Lux.
Oh, well I found this company online who sells the bulbs

http://www.carproductsdirect.co.uk/shopping/lux

so I assumed there were other resellers.

Anyways i'll drop Mark a PM as soon as it's enabled on my account (hopefully after this post in fact)

thanks
Appreciate 0