New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
ejay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 sDrive35i

Injector stuck open.

I'm hoping to get some advice about my car, 2010 35i.

I had a stuck injector which caused it to start smoking and misfiring. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the injector. After getting it back I noticed that it idles rough and I can smell exhaust fumes when I come to a stop. I took it back to the dealer the same day and he gave me some bs about the excess fuel needing to burn off. Mind you this after having run the car for at least 20mins.
What should I be having them check? Could this have damaged the engine ?

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
toplessrydr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E89 35i

How does the car perform? Does it drive normal now? The only thing I can think of is perhaps you have fuel dripping out from the injector. Could be wrong by miles. If there was excess fuel on the block when they did the repair, you will be smelling the fume until it all evaporates.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
ejay
Registered
Rep

Thanks for replying. It has some sort of whining noise when it accelerates. Otherwise it seems to drives normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
I'm hoping to get some advice about my car, 2010 35i.

I had a stuck injector which caused it to start smoking and misfiring. I took it to the dealer and they fixed the injector. After getting it back I noticed that it idles rough and I can smell exhaust fumes when I come to a stop. I took it back to the dealer the same day and he gave me some bs about the excess fuel needing to burn off. Mind you this after having run the car for at least 20mins.
What should I be having them check? Could this have damaged the engine ?

Any help appreciated.
I thought about the mechanics statement and agreed with you it was BS - all you need is a few combustion cycles and the excess fuel will be spent. But what he may have been suggesting is that unspent fuel got into your exhaust system. The fuel wouldn't hurt any of the exhaust system materials so there's nothing to fear in that respect. But, if that was the case you might smell it and it could make a backfiring sound. If you had the car serviced right away a few hours standby time, or a 20 minutes driving at a good clip and the fuel would evaporate. If you drove the car a while and/or noticed a significant drop in your fuel gauge, it could take a while longer.

But what I'm more concerned about is how much fuel the injector may have been pouring into the cyclinder. Some of that fuel could have gotten past your piston rings and into the oil. Gasoline is a solvent and will dilute your oil. Maybe it didn't go on very long, but you might consider having the oil changed. I would go back to the dealer right away and have him change the oil if they didn't already. This should be no cost to you and it's something the mechanic should have checked.

I think it's a bit sloppy for the dealership to not mention either of these concerns.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-03-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
ejay
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that gas could get in the oil. I just dropped it back off at the dealer. They were much more receptive today.
Appreciate 0