New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Sway bar end links

Hi all ... this is like hollering in a forest when no one is there to hear you ...

Installing the rear H&R on my 2011 35i, the factory rear end link is short enough that, when the car is unsprung, the sway bar hits the half shaft. The factory setup did not do this. I realize the car doesn't run around unsprung, but wondering if anyone here has gone to a rear adjustable end link as a solution?

Thanks, Filippo
      08-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I just did the H&R swaybar install myself a few weeks ago. I chose the middle hole for now and also noticed that one side seemed to about touch the halfshaft. On mine it wasn't a solid contact but it would have been difficult sliding a sheet of paper between there. I had to shift the swaybar side-to-side some as I was fighting to get the endlinks connected on the chassis end and swaybar end and in the process of doing that the clearance improved. Still awfully close but I'm not worried about contact anymore. If I decide to adjust which hole the endlink is in I might take that opportunity to install adjustable ones anyway though.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Yeah my guy is ordering up rod ends to make something that will solve this issue. My concern is, in some circumstance where the rear suspension unloaded, it can momentarily go well beyond static unsprung and I don't like the idea of the swaybar hitting the half shaft...

Filippo
      08-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
35i-Nut
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 35I

after a spell with the H & R on the middle hole Ive now got the rear on its stiffest setting

I'm running brand new standard endlinks , no issues with rubbing

Only Issue I had was on the front end where the sway bar was just catching the driveshaft gaitor clip which had to be rotated out of the way

Even with Eibach springs and H & R Bars the ride and roll is much improved but the rear end I feel still appears to roll around slightly , anyone else found this ?

I'm running active suspension , I wonder going to coilovers would be a bigger improvement over my current set up ?
Appreciate 1
fmorelli160.00