New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHank View Post
Just because I don't really know, when you say "clutch dump" it's going from no clutch to full clutch without hesitation? Like getting the motor up to 4k, and just totally release the clutch and hold on? Or is there more finesse to it? The other poster said something about "feathering" which I also don't understand. Thanks.

Feathering the clutch is basically letting the clutch slip a little while engaging. You do it normally every time you drive a maual to different levels depending on the condions - hill, rain, reverse.

Feathering the clutch on a 4K dump will not do wonders for the clutch life. Then again an immediate release or "Dump" at 4K will not do much for the clutch or tire life either.

This is equally true, clutch and tire life, for the DCT and launch control.

If you want to play (repeatedly), eventually you are going to pay. If you're old enough to remember the Fram oil filter commercial "Pay me now or pay me later"

or

TANSTAAFL - "There anin't no such thing as a free lunch" or in this case Launch.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #24
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
If its a lease, who cares beat it to death and trade it in.

CPO buyers take note!!
Exactly herr k. I think the car's computer keeps track of launch control attempts so maybe this can be assessed by a potential Cpo buyer. I would check into it if it was me.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #25
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
Quote:
Quote:
If its a lease, who cares beat it to death and trade it in.

CPO buyers take note!!
Exactly herr k. I think the car's computer keeps track of launch control attempts so maybe this can be assessed by a potential Cpo buyer. I would check into it if it was me.
Two thoughts on this.

First, I would think people would have some degree of rational to not continually use LC on a daily basis, or multiple times on a daily basis. Logic would tell you that at some stage, you are abusing the car, tires, and if unlucky, a LEO's patience and attitude, if all you do is LC every chance you get.

Secondly, I don't really think BMW would have engineered this into the cars with DCT if occasional use would lead to premature failure, or damage, to the car and related components. How can they deny warranty work for something they write into the manual as a feature? And yes, I did note someone mentioned some folks had problems in another forum from use of the LC, but still, it exists because BMW programmed it into car. I will need to go back and read the manual now to see exactly what language BMW worded in that section.

I'm now waiting for OP to inquire about replacement of his worn out rear tires!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I agree, the cars are designed to take it and there is a set interval where the computer will not allow launch control to be used too frequently. That being said, it does induce greater stress and wear and I wouldn't buy a cpo with a lot of LC's. Just like I wouldn't buy a car that's been tracked a lot (although that's really in a different category).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

As far as BMW is concerned, I believe that BMW will not warrant parts failure due to excessive use of launch control. For example my understanding is that on 'M' series cars, they can only do 5? launch controls before the car is considered out of warranty, particularly the clutch.......There is no doubt that to my mind the stresses placed on components is very high and bear in mind that when they read the Key/ECU they know what you have been upto!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I agree will all above - it is fun but I have done LC only twice because the DCT is very expensive, I know the e89 records the number of LCs you do, and I am not confident BMWNA will warrant a darn thing other than wiper blades

For example, I even had to pay for the HPFP one month before the recall was initiated because BMWNA claimed that my Eisenmann exhaust and FMIC broke it! so, I love the car but not a big fan of the corporate machine and their "any excuse possible policy" not to warrant the car as promised
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
HenryHank
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, e39 M5

Quote:
Feathering the clutch on a 4K dump will not do wonders for the clutch life. Then again an immediate release or "Dump" at 4K will not do much for the clutch or tire life either.

This is equally true, clutch and tire life, for the DCT and launch control.
I can certainly understand wear on clutch and tires (the "cost of doing business"), but what is the potential for damage to the trans, motor, or rear?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHank View Post
I can certainly understand wear on clutch and tires (the "cost of doing business"), but what is the potential for damage to the trans, motor, or rear?
The DCT transmission is what everyone is concerned about (I think) because the clutches aren't serviceable so the entire unit needs to be replaced ($$$) if the clutches fail.

Agreed with jparnes1, I wouldn't buy a CPO car that's been launched hard or tracked, but the problem is... how will you know?

EDIT: serious question by the way.. I was cross shopping a CPO Z06 with the Z4 and I just couldn't get over the gut feeling I was about to foot the bill for someone else's 3 yr long joy ride...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #31
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Launch Control used for the first time last night. It was... pleasing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Never tried it, and don't intend to. So I shall live vicariously through you guys

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #33
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I agree will all above - it is fun but I have done LC only twice because the DCT is very expensive, I know the e89 records the number of LCs you do, and I am not confident BMWNA will warrant a darn thing other than wiper blades

For example, I even had to pay for the HPFP one month before the recall was initiated because BMWNA claimed that my Eisenmann exhaust and FMIC broke it! so, I love the car but not a big fan of the corporate machine and their "any excuse possible policy" not to warrant the car as promised
My experience is that the answer will vary from dealer to dealer and even from SA to SA. Probably need to change your SA.
      03-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #34
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

good advice - I changed dealerships and my new SA is great
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
good advice - I changed dealerships and my new SA is great
Are you going out of town for service then? There's only BMW of Austin, AFAIK.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

no, in Austin now but moved from the Fort Worth area two summers ago - love the hill country
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sdrive23i M Sport H'Lin

I believe you have to wait at least an hour before using Launch Control successively... The software won't let you do it less than that to protect the tranny... Just look at the problems people have had on early Nissan GT-R's before they beefed it up
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7NDP View Post
I believe you have to wait at least an hour before using Launch Control successively... The software won't let you do it less than that to protect the tranny... Just look at the problems people have had on early Nissan GT-R's before they beefed it up
The first night that I used it, I did so twice within a 30 minute or so period. Not saying it was a great idea, but it was fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
There is definitely software protection but it isn't "one hour between launches"

I wouldn't look to the GTR as the proxy for how launch control will or won't damage the car... there is a big difference between 480hp/430ftlb AWD and 300hp/300ftlb RWD open diff

Rather than worry about launch control, I think it is better to just floor it and press the kickdown switch. Revs will rise, tires will mildly chirp and there's no need to quibble about whether or not launch control is recorded or bad for the car
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #40
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sdrive23i M Sport H'Lin

Quote:
Quote:
There is definitely software protection but it isn't "one hour between launches"

I wouldn't look to the GTR as the proxy for how launch control will or won't damage the car... there is a big difference between 480hp/430ftlb AWD and 300hp/300ftlb RWD open diff

Rather than worry about launch control, I think it is better to just floor it and press the kickdown switch. Revs will rise, tires will mildly chirp and there's no need to quibble about whether or not launch control is recorded or bad for the car

True say... A good driver should be able to 'launch' without launch control
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
True say... A good driver should be able to 'launch' without launch control
In my last post I was claiming that the computer overlord launches the car better in sport+ from just flooring the throttle all the way (pressing the kickdown switch) as opposed to using "launch control"

The computers are pretty awesome these days
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #42
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

LC is awesome - I have used it only twice in almost 4 years of Z4 ownership.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
Pony-herd
Registered
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
Doesn't work for my Australian car unfortunately.... Might be a US feature?
Is working outside US also.
You have to have LC, not every e89 do so.

willy

BTW: I've tried it once. Great...

Last edited by Pony-herd; 04-11-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
The 1er guys use it all the time... At the drag strip... There's a technique to do burn outs too... Don't think they've gotten into problems using LC too much...
Appreciate 0