New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #89
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim3314 View Post
- Manager told me his dealership is constructed in a way where they aren't a typical "dealer" where they're worried if the car sits on the lot for a long time and they start losing money. He said they'll ship it to their other dealerships (Beverly Hills BMW) and he said for sure it'll sell there...

- After I get Avus Sport's pre-purchasing inspection, i'll see if its only just the flawed paint, or some other "surprise". I'm hoping its only the paint!

- Manager probably thinks i'm trying to low ball him with my "offer" or maybe he's trying to play me. Either way, i'm not done with this manager yet. He thinks he can just shut the negotiating door on my face, think again! I will get an even better deal, assuming the car is still there!
After your inspection, it is gonna be a timing thing.
It's a balancing act, at least it was for me.
I was very concerned that I was spending money to inspect a car which the dealer would NOT put on HOLD for me while I researched and inspected their car. Theoretically, I could have spent the cash, and someone could walk in and buy it.
So, the message is, if the report comes back positive from AVUS, you'll want to be ready with your offer.
The downside is that now the dealer knows that you're serious enough to spend a couple of hundred bucks to prepare to possibly buy their car, so they feel that you are somewhat "invested" now, and that may affect your ability to negotiate.
In a perfect world, you would have already established the selling price and any other considerations (Paint work, etc) BEFORE, and contingent upon the inspection results, but it seems as though that probably won't be the case.
Having said that, maybe you give them one more shot at accepting an offer before you commit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #90
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
- Manager told me his dealership is constructed in a way where they aren't a typical "dealer" where they're worried if the car sits on the lot for a long time and they start losing money. He said they'll ship it to their other dealerships (Beverly Hills BMW) and he said for sure it'll sell there...
Oh yeah.
Everyone is not "your typical dealer" at first.
"We have fixed, no haggle pricing!"
"Our research has placed the car in the pricing slot recommended by the trends of…blah blah blah."

The sales person I bought from said:
"We price our cars on our ads to generate calls from potential buyers."
I said…"you want phone calls or do you want sales?"

Then, a phone call to the GSM about the final price put it all to bed.

Last edited by Dejablue; 05-15-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #91
dim3314
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy Z4 sDrive35IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
After your inspection, it is gonna be a timing thing.
It's a balancing act, at least it was for me.
I was very concerned that I was spending money to inspect a car which the dealer would NOT put on HOLD for me while I researched and inspected their car. Theoretically, I could have spent the cash, and someone could walk in and buy it.
So, the message is, if the report comes back positive from AVUS, you'll want to be ready with your offer.
The downside is that now the dealer knows that you're serious enough to spend a couple of hundred bucks to prepare to possibly buy their car, so they feel that you are somewhat "invested" now, and that may affect your ability to negotiate.
In a perfect world, you would have already established the selling price and any other considerations (Paint work, etc) BEFORE, and contingent upon the inspection results, but it seems as though that probably won't be the case.
Having said that, maybe you give them one more shot at accepting an offer before you commit.
You summed that up on point! I had that concern in the back of my mind also...... I was thinking maybe the Amir could go in, check it himself, and then leave and let me know how it went at an off-site location. Or I was thinking maybe he could be like my "friend" who goes with me to inspect the car. Unless Amir is so well known in the area, that the dealership knows him, then it would be more difficult for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #92
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah.
Everyone is not "your typical dealer" at first.
"We have fixed, no haggle pricing!"
"Our research has placed the car in the pricing slot recommended by the trends of…blah blah blah."

The sales person I bought from said:
"We price our cars on our ads to generate calls from potential buyers."
I said…"you want phone calls or do you want sales?"

Then, a phone call to the GSM about the final price put it all to bed.
Lol that's exactly what he said, except he also mentioned that "corporate structure" thing with 2 other BMW dealers. Also, his corporate HQ has such "competitive true pricing" that they won't allow him to discount the car anymore. I couldn't really say much to that because that was my first time hearing bout this "corporate structure" so I had no countermeasure to counter his counter attack on my offer. If only you were here, you could hear his big story on the corporate structure of these BMW chains lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #93
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
You summed that up on point! I had that concern in the back of my mind also...... I was thinking maybe the Amir could go in, check it himself, and then leave and let me know how it went at an off-site location. Or I was thinking maybe he could be like my "friend" who goes with me to inspect the car. Unless Amir is so well known in the area, that the dealership knows him, then it would be more difficult for me.
Avus Autosport will probably require that the car be delivered to them, as it was in my case.
I am in Boston, so I had the salesperson bring them the car for their inspection. Maybe the dealer will allow you to drive it to the shop?

Additionally, you are contracting for an in-depth inspection using their electronic systems and lifting the car, driving it and inspecting all functions and equipment that the car has.
This is not a parking lot visual look-see.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #94
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Avus Autosport will probably require that the car be delivered to them, as it was in my case.
I am in Boston, so I had the salesperson bring them the car for their inspection. Maybe the dealer will allow you to drive it to the shop?
Waittttt..... really??? I thought Avus would go to the dealership and inspect there. I don't know if they'll drive 20+ miles to get to Avus... there goes my negotiating leverage for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #95
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Waittttt..... really??? I thought Avus would go to the dealership and inspect there. I don't know if they'll drive 20+ miles to get to Avus... there goes my negotiating leverage for sure
If i were you, I would not be satisfied with just a quick look at a car like this.

Not just because you're paying north of $40k, but, as I have said, these are high end cars with sophisticated systems which need to be inspected by someone who is familiar and has the proper equipment to read and evaluate the cars electronic, mechanical and computerized systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #96
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
If i were you, I would not be satisfied with just a quick look at a car like this.

Not just because you're paying north of $40k, but, as I have said, these are high end cars with sophisticated systems which need to be inspected by someone who is familiar and has the proper equipment to read and evaluate the cars electronic, mechanical and computerized systems.
ahh!!!!! that's true
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #97
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
ahh!!!!! that's true
I feel your pain, and I can tell you that it was a great feeling when all of the stress of hunting for my car was released, so now I can sweat the transportation nightmares that could happen!
My car is scheduled to be here on the 21st, and I never expected such a long and winding road it would be to buy this car!

Name:  2011 35is.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  114.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #98
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
I feel your pain, and I can tell you that it was a great feeling when all of the stress of hunting for my car was released, so now I can sweat the transportation nightmares that could happen!
My car is scheduled to be here on the 21st, and I never expected such a long and winding road it would be to buy this car!

Attachment 1209746
How much did you get it for???
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #99
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
How much did you get it for???
After my extremely refined, and highly technical negotiating skills (!!) it resulted in a price of:
$31,500.00
Plus transport costs to Massachusetts from California of $1175.00

Don't tell anyone!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:09 AM   #100
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
After my extremely refined, and highly technical negotiating skills (!!) it resulted in a price of:
$31,500.00
Plus transport costs to Massachusetts from California of $1175.00

Don't tell anyone!
Have you gotten extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty? I think after that, you should be set!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #101
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
Have you gotten extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty? I think after that, you should be set!
The car has the existing BMW 50k/48 month warranty until Sept 2015.
Then it has the BMW CPO 100k/72 month warranty until Sept 2017.
I did not buy an extended warranty from the dealer.
There is a standing 30 day 50/50 warranty from the dealer, which is actually a 90 day warranty due to Massachusetts law I believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #102
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
The car has the existing BMW 50k/48 month warranty until Sept 2015.
Then it has the BMW CPO 100k/72 month warranty until Sept 2017.
I did not buy an extended warranty from the dealer.
There is a standing 30 day 50/50 warranty from the dealer, which is actually a 90 day warranty due to Massachusetts law I believe.
There's a pretty good extended warranty my old roommate got for his 335xi. It's called route66 by Penfed Credit union. Penfed is free to open an account.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #103
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
There's a pretty good extended warranty my old roommate got for his 335xi. It's called route66 by Penfed Credit union. Penfed is free to open an account.

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/
I would be very careful with a warranty which excludes over 30 BMW models…including the Z4 1st gen.
Plus, many of these warrantees do not cover the convertible top mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #104
dim3314
Private
Rep

I went to go test drive that z4 yesterday. I guess mechanically it was fine, just missing screw covers behind the door handle on the inside of the car (I wonder if they removed the door panels for some repair work due to a car accident on the doors). I realized there was no sound package, so no XM radio for my long commute and I can't find the cruise control on there.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #105
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Quote:
I can't find the cruise control on there.
If it's the 35is you posted a link to earlier, the cruise control is on a stalk just below the turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #106
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan
Quote:
I can't find the cruise control on there.
If it's the 35is you posted a link to earlier, the cruise control is on a stalk just below the turn signal.
Thanks! I just asked my buddy, he said same thing. BMW client advisor didn't even know where it was...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #107
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, I can tell you that this car is very well equipped.
It has all of what are the most desirable options / equipment installed.
The price seems pretty competitive as well. I haven't shopped anything newer than 2012, but I can tell you that I am looking at a Certified 2012 35i with M-package at a local BMW dealer and they are at $43k…willing pretty easily to go to $39k after a short non-commited conversation in the parking lot with a sales manager.
So, $45 for the 35is is probably reasonable.

VIN long WBALM1C51DE633885

Type code LM1C

Type Z4 35I (USA)
I just reread this, did your database really say: Type Z4 35I and not 35IS?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #108
Dejablue
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just reread this, did your database really say: Type Z4 35I and not 35IS?
That database identifys the 35is by the engine designation: Engine N54T .
The 35i is:Engine N54
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #109
dim3314
Private
Rep

Ohh ok, gotcha!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:25 AM   #110
Dejablue
Private
Rep

I've had my 2011 35is for three days now and for the record, here are my initial experiences:

~This is the fastest car I have ever driven and I driven a few good ones. It's impressive how it can go from a relatively tame cruiser to raging monster in the flick of a throttle.

~ The fit and finish is as expected for BMW. I am so happy with the red leather, especially when considering that early on in my search, I was not even considering red interior. I think it is the most complimented aspect so far.

~ There is a lot to learn about the iDrive system, and that's ok by me. I decided early on that it was a must have, and it was the best decision for me.

~ On the other side, there is clearly a learning curve regarding the ventilation system for me. There seems to be a real penchant for the windshield to fog up, and I feel like there is a weird reflection from the dash onto the windshield too. Maybe that is enhanced by the seemingly constant effort to clear the condensation from the windshield, I don't know yet.
I have not completely absorbed the owners manual, so some of these issues may be resolved with some more research.

~ I will admit that I sweated the necessary mounting of a front plate onto my car. Ultimately I got the BMW unit and mounted it lower than what was recommended, so it didn't interfere visually with the grills, and will get over having to drill holes into the car.

~ I had received the car after being shipped across the country with a Check Engine light lit. I suspected that it was due to the extended time without charging the battery as it traveled from California to Boston. After a couple of days use, the light shut off on it"s own and all is well. It never showed any issues when I initiated a system check while displaying the Check Engine light.

All in all, after an extended search and lengthy learning process about the Z4, I am very happy with the car I found, and it's equipment is as I desired.
Fast, stylish and fun. These are the things that come immediately to mind when I report on my new Z4 35is.

Stay tuned for more...

~
Appreciate 0