New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

Are courtesy cars free?

Unfortunately someone hit my Z, and while there's no body damage, they did manage to push me up and over the curb, and all 4 rims need to be replaced. Not to mention the suspension is probably screwed up.

But my question is about BMW service. When I called to make the appointment, they said they didn't have courtesy cars. Then when I dropped it off, they clearly did (the desk with the big sign overhead that read "COURTESY CARS" was my first tip). The Service Advisor said they have to be arranged for in advance, and since I'm going through insurance, I should just let them take care of it.

Am I owed a courtesy car? I'd like to think that after buying a $65k car, the company would do me that simple courtesy, but I'm not sure. And if I have to pay for it, isn't that a rental car? Doesn't courtesy mean free?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
Am I owed a courtesy car? I'd like to think that after buying a $65k car, the company would do me that simple courtesy, but I'm not sure. And if I have to pay for it, isn't that a rental car? Doesn't courtesy mean free?
No, I would not think service would offer you a courtesy car/loaner for an accident. If you brought your car in for service (and you bought it there), then yes you should be offered a loaner. The service dept isn't going to give up one of their loaners for weeks until your car is repaired. Depending on your auto policy, you may have rental coverage.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
parkstaff
PARKSTAFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert / 2011 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
No, I would not think service would offer you a courtesy car/loaner for an accident. If you brought your car in for service (and you bought it there), then yes you should be offered a loaner. The service dept isn't going to give up one of their loaners for weeks until your car is repaired. Depending on your auto policy, you may have rental coverage.
Kief is correct...They will not loan out a service loaner for an accident. Who know how long it would take to repair your car. Unfortunatly "Service Loaners" are for that purpose only....Service
I would try to get their insurance to pay for it.
Also: How can your car have no body damage, but they hit you hard enough to throw you up on a curb ruin 4 wheels and jack up your suspension? Thats a new one?
Sorry to hear about your beautiful car I'm sure it will all be worked out soon
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
if they charge u full retail price for the parts u needed especially wheels, it might be cool to offer u a loaner.

joke aside, like others have said, it's an accident. insurance company pays for rental. no dealer would provide a courtesy car for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

"Courtesy cars" are... a courtesy. There's nothing that says that dealers have to offer them in the first place. If they do, there's nothing that says to whom or under what circumstances they have to offer them.

My dealer has a few loaner BMWs but they're first come, first served and are about 30 miles away. If we left our house in the morning at any sort of reasonable time to drop a car off, we got something from Enterprise to drive until our car was ready. Now that we've bought 4 cars in 7 years from that dealer, we got them to promise on our purchase agreement that they'd hold a BMW loaner for us

In a case where insurance is involved, look at it this way: the dealer gets nothing for loaning a car to a customer, but the insured probably has rental car coverage as part of their policy. The dealer loses (because they can't loan the car to customers having lucrative service work done) and the customer gains little if offered a loaner (the advantage to the customer is driving a low-end 3-series instead of a rental econocar.)
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
fisherman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive 30i

If the accident is the other guy's fault, as it sounds in this case, his insurance company will pay for your rental car . Contact his adjuster, or the company itself, and they will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

Unfortunately collision repair will not get yyou a loaner. They provide those for regular service. I'm guessing simply due to collision repair could sometimes take weeks for completion and loaner cars are not plentiful in that respect.

However; contact the insurance company; you will be given a rental on the fault parties tab (his insurance)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
coldnate
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Garage List
let's be real... no one hit you. you tried to go fast and furious on your z and ended up on the sidewalk.. it's okay. everyone has to learn sometime..... personally, i chose to learn in a parking lot instead of on the street. NOW i can take corners like a 15 year old japanese kid
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

My dealer has given me a loaner when I bring the car in for regular maintenance and also when I had the HPFP fixed under warranty.

All I have to do is bring the loaner back with about the same amount of gas I started with.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep

First, just because it's an accident doesn't mean the dealer doesn't get paid full price... They charge the full amount. And no, I didn't buy the car there, but I might buy the next.

Yes, my insurance does include rental, up to $30/day up to $900. But that gets me literally nothing. I'd certainly apply it to the dealer, but again, since he's not taking a loss, I don't see why I don't get the perks.

Also, the car will be ready tomorrow if the front strut arrives on time. So they would've been out one base model 3 series for a total of three days -- a small price to pay for a future sale, in my opinion.

As to why I have no serious body damage, I'm just considering myself lucky. Don't get me wrong, he did make contact, but it was low speed, and the curb was only 1' high. There was some paint swapping and minor scratches, but literally no dents. I'm going to get the scratches buffed out, but the wheels and suspension were the major casualties.

Can't wait to get it back; I just hope it's as much fun to drive as it was before!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep

Not the case at all. Like I don't get enough tickets for just driving a BMW at normal speeds on the roads on Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnate View Post
let's be real... no one hit you. you tried to go fast and furious on your z and ended up on the sidewalk.. it's okay. everyone has to learn sometime..... personally, i chose to learn in a parking lot instead of on the street. NOW i can take corners like a 15 year old japanese kid
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
///NWIE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
My dealer has given me a loaner when I bring the car in for regular maintenance and also when I had the HPFP fixed under warranty.

All I have to do is bring the loaner back with about the same amount of gas I started with.
thats exactly how it works, i work at a bmw dealer myself... we give them out for regular maint. if its going to take more than an hour or so, otherwise cust usually just wait for them...

if its an ins job 99% of the time cust in that case already have a rental supplied by their ins company...

and as far as cost of a loaner, it costs a dealer about $89 a day they are used...thats a fact...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///NWIE89 View Post
as far as cost of a loaner, it costs a dealer about $89 a day they are used...thats a fact...
If that's dealer cost they're writing the cars off often. It's not a lot of money for a car dealer, especially considering they've got a labor clock running on my car in the garage, and a nearly guaranteed payment for the work booked in receivables (since car insurance firms are reliably more credit worthy than individuals...). Also, if courtesy cars come from used car stock, or go into it, they're almost certainly making a profit when all is said and done.

Plus there is such a thing as intangible assets, aka, goodwill. How many of us buy BMWs just because of the brand which we know signifies quality? Or, select a BMW dealer based on past experience? I'm actually doing this dealer a FAVOR, because I didn't have to bring it to him, and he wouldn't have the opportunity to perform honest work and get paid, someone else would have.

It's a business, he's not doing me any favors. And I will vote with my feet when it comes time to buy my next BMW. So how much did it really cost the dealer to NOT give me a courtesy car? That'd be a whole sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

How much would it cost them to give you a loaner instead of giving it to the customer that already bought cars from them? I bet that loyal customer will be happy to know that you who did not buy a car from the dealer get the loaner and they did not.
Appreciate 0