New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #155
arsiq444
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
I see a South African long term reviewer on Youtube, that drove the car for several thousand km, complained about the noises it made.
They are irritating and do take some tracking down.
Every single joint on the dash/doors/rear deck/hoops I sprayed silicon bumper spray, even the iDrive screen mechanism (it's gears then stopped rattling). I sprayed behind the trim where the airbag sits recently to cure the last noise.
The sun visors rattle so they needed pads where they touch the trim.
Even the mirror cover inside rattled.

The roof try first dropping the windows an inch to see if noise goes.
The black strip that guides the windows butts up against a bolt head on the roof trim. Poke a finger in the roof rubber trim gap and you will feel it.
Some noise went away when I dropped the windows, as they seemed to push up the roof slightly. Always keep the rubber trim lubed.

The triangle wedge in the rear deck recently started making noise. I had initially forgotten the cure, but a couple of thin pads either side of the wedge cured that.(My originals had dropped off). Also the rear deck where the flip up panels lift I placed some thin rubber. BMW actually glue felt here just outboard of the panels, which seems to fall off.
The top roof sits on four wedges. Thin rubber on those seemed to help.
Perhaps I should do a YT vid of all the things I have done.

Having non rft and something I have done recently, that seems to have made a difference, after market shocks. I have non adapt so straight forward. Perhaps the originals are too hard and shake the car too much.
Even had to rotate a rear spring to stop what sounded like someone hitting the bottom the boot (trunk) with a rubber mallet.
Touch wood, glides along like a silent magic carpet...for the moment

Thank you for the description,

a video would be great or a couple pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #156
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Pics roughly in the order I progressed to reduce annoying rattles.
The iDrive I sprayed lube to stop the gears rattling.
The boot protector bracket broke, rattled, so fixed with carriage bolts.
Also make sure your seat is not touching the rear bulkhead.
Anything left lose on the seat or floor rattles, like specs. or keys.
Any rattle you hear at the front is probably from the rear.
Every gap around the glove box was sprayed with lube, hinges and stops.

Last edited by bigendbob; 08-21-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
CarAbuser467.50
jts1981209.50
      12-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #157
ddcha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89

I read every page of this thread and tried many of the remedies (Gummi pflege, felt on latches, making sure rubber adjustment stops were set appropriately), nothing worked.

BUT I FOUND MY FIX. So basic it's humbling. My ski bag compartment had some metal buckles floating around in there. I just made sure they were wrapped up with the bag instead of making contact with the plastic and the rattle is gone. Woot.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #158
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Folks - thanks for posting the fixes. I have had constant rattle from the driver rear and took it multiple times to the dealership for a fix to no avail. Recently had a friend bump into my car while it was parked and the roof noise have become slightly louder.

Do we think enough owners having this issue will qualify for a recall? Also, what would be the process to go about getting it done.

My car is an 09 and obviously out of warranty
      11-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #159
TomoS
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 , 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
So... I don't want to get too excited.. in case I'm wrong. But I think I found the noise!

After some remedial work, I still get it, very slightly, on very rough bumps, but there's definitely an improvement... I just don't want to get too excited about it in case I'm wrong and something else has caused it to go quiet, like temperature changes.

In any event, it appears that part no. 3 below may be the cause. After tightening all of the bolts on this part (there are many of them on the underside), the sound appears to have diminished a lot. I intend to take this part off at the weekend when the weather improves and both clean and lubricate any contact surfaces in the hope that I'm right and further work to it will remove any sound at all. Here's hoping. I believe the reason this part may be making noise is that it appears to be subject to outside water/dirt ingress. With the weight of the roof upon it, this is causing the loud cracking noises. Its my hope that cleaning and lubrication will not only silence it now but for a good while to come.

edit: I thought I'd look at this after reading that others had the entire buffer section (all parts below) replaced and this resolved their issues. So as a process of elimination, the first and easiest thing to try was to simply tighten any fixings.

Hi - I know you posted this a while ago - but have a 62 plat Z4 and hey ho - got the rattle... You mention a Part 3 that you tightened - looked it up and think that this is the one you were talking about?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0398

Part three? Left and right main console brackets??

Thanks mate
Appreciate 0