New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

How do you remove lower grill/mesh?

I finally have some time on my hands now and it's time to fiddle with the car :thump:

After having front plates put on by my dealer when I bought the car, I decided to keep them on because they are better than 4 unsightly holes (pics below). I'm thinking about fixing those up now (I know about bumper plugs, and there are DYIs for them but nipples just aren't the best look for my taste) and decided I'm going to fill them up with epoxy, sand, paint, re-sand, and then clear coat.

Does anyone know how to remove the lower grill/mesh area and if so, would I be able to have access (for my hands) to the back of the bumper? If not, any way to that area without removing the bumper all together? Trying to avoid that...

When I finally get it done (or completely ruin my front bumper and require a repaint because it's my first time sanding) I will make sure to post a DYI for those interested.

Beautiful holes above, mesh area I am talking about below.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

The intercooler is behind the lower grill, so even if you removed the grill, you still have a prob lem. However, if you remove the kidney grills, you might have better access.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks jparne1, I tried to go through the kidney, but unfortunately the bumper reinforcement bar is in the way. Going from the bottom wasn't an option either because of the bumper bar (the intercooler is farther behind, so that wasn't an issue)

I initially wanted to reach to the back to seal it off with my finger so my epoxy doesn't end up leaking through. I'm pretty sure it did, but you know, if you don't see it, it's not there right? :roll eyes:

Anyway, thread on the repair here for those who are interested.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...1#post16370521
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

See my Post called: Modified my F Grill to M Sport Gloss Black
See the last few posts with pictures of the mesh grill and side grills removed.

I have a NON M Sport F Bumper so I cannot be sure if your grill is ther same as mine.

I removed the Lower Front Center black plactic mesh grill and lower left and right black inserts grills and painted then gloss black.

These grills can be removed from the outside front without taking off the bumper or removing the kidney grills, as you cannot reach the tabs that need to be dislodged to remove the grill from the inside and thru the kidney grill area.

I started with the Front center mesh grill.

In the bottom of the mesh grill there are 6 slots built into the mesh grill that are held in place by the corresponding male with tab, which is built into the bumper. Then the same slots/tabs are on each side- 2 per side then 4 slots/tabs across the top. Also across the top are 4 tabs with holes in them which are used to secure the wiring harness/ loom which have the corresponding connector on the wiring loom that is a push plug which fits into the tab holes on the mesh grill.

To get started,
1. I started at the center of the mesh grill. With a slight amount of push on the grill and bumper section, I was able to dislodge the tabs away from the mesh grill slightly, One tab at a time.
2. As I dislodged 1 tab in the center, I moved outwards to each of the 3 on each side of center.
3. With all 6 tabs dislodged across the bottom, I then moved to each side and dislodged both tabs on each side.
4. With both sides and the bottom dislodged, the mesh grill pushed back far enough to reach inside and dislodge the tabs across the top.
5. With grill tabs all dislodged you can now pull the 4 serated plastic plugs from the 4 tabs with holes in them holding the wiring harness in place.

For installation, I used a hook end tool. Before installtion, with the grill pushed inside the opening, 1st job is to reconnect the wiring harness plugs onto the on the 4 tabs/holes across the top. If you do not do this,you will have a loose wiring harness which will then be loose and in visible from the front.

Installation-
1. Slide the grill inside the front opening.
2. Push the wiring harness plugs into the 4 tab holes acros the top.
3. Line up the tabs to the slots.
4. I then used hook end tool and puilled the grill slot onto but not locked into each bumper tab.
5. Once all tabs/slots are all lined up you then use the hook end tool to snap the tab into the slot.
6. You cannot get all tabs an slots back together without this hook end tool.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
In the bottom of the mesh grill there are 6 slots built into the mesh grill that are held in place by the corresponding male with tab, which is built into the bumper. Then the same slots/tabs are on each side- 2 per side then 4 slots/tabs across the top. Also across the top are 4 tabs with holes in them which are used to secure the wiring harness/ loom which have the corresponding connector on the wiring loom that is a push plug which fits into the tab holes on the mesh grill.

Very helpful. I realized that getting in from the bottom wouldn't matter due to the bumper bar, but when I took out the air intake cover, I was able to see those tabs you are referring to from the top. Didn't get a chance to take the actual mesh out, but great tip for those who do need to take it out or for the next time I need to get into that area.

Thanks, BMWZ4RIDER
Appreciate 0