New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #45
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Check out EverythingApplePro on YouTube to get a better idea of whether or not the X will be worth it for you. I have a 7+, and I don’t think it would be worth it to get an X. Not really pleased with the design either of the X. I checked out the Note 8 the other day, and was impressed by the design of the phone, particularly the screen. It looks better than the X.
You've never handled the X or seen it in person. I've owned the Note and sure, the Note 8 has the best screen in the biz. No doubting that. However, its wrap around design can actually be annoying because you're basically holding the sides of the screen. As much as they say there are no accidental inputs, there are.

Plus, it runs Android and Samsung's awful TouchWiz.

I have a Note in my pocket right now and cannot wait to relegate it to a WiFi only device that maybe is used for YouTube while doing cardio.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #46
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

While I've been waiting for a full display iphone for a loooong time... I'm not sure about the X. I don't care for the "notch" or the face recognition. I will hold on to my 7 until I start seeing some real world reviews and I can see one personally. I may switch carriers and if at that point I can do an even swap for an 8 or an X I may consider it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #47
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Reports are that production has been slow to start for the X, so expect massive wait times if you’re not a lucky midnight shopper. As previously stated, a bigger screen with smaller physical size is probably the biggest factor.

I’m getting the X, but that’s mostly because I’m an iOS dev and want the latest hardware to play with. Count me as a notch hater, and I don’t care for the rounded corners either. It’s an annoying shift in UI deisgn that’s going to require an unusual amount of tailoring to get things to look & feel just right. So, you know, extra work for everybody. Worrying about a zillion different form factors is supposed to be a Droid or web dev’s hell

Notch is ugly af in the simulator, hopefully it’s not as bad on-device
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 11:40 AM   #48
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

My 6 died five days before unveiling of the 8 & X; I'd been an even-numbered, non-S iPhone up until the following day. Since I was forced out of my usual upgrade cycle, I said, "Effit" and bought a 7 Plus to replace it.

I've had the monstrosity for less than a month and I don't think I could go back to a non-Plus sized phone. I use Thanotech's K11 bumper/screen/back protector trio, so it's not too bulky; no kids to worry about handling it, either.

Even if my 6 hadn't died and I wasn't worried about my upgrade "tradition," I'd still be waiting to pull the trigger on an X, or even an 8 for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #49
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

I may have to upgrade my 6, because the newest update turned my phone to shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #50
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I'm plugged into a computer at work all day, don't really need a top of the line phone. Have a 5S that works perfectly.

If the 5S breaks, I'd probably get a X for "it" factor, but I wouldn't rule out the SE for "practical" factor (lol). But hasn't broken or even gotten a scratch yet. *knock on wood -
aka 5S processor*
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #51
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Still rocking my 5. Will only replace if it breaks and can not reasonably be fixed. Battery has been replaced once.
still got my 6 with broken screen Battery was changed working just fine
      10-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #52
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
While I've been waiting for a full display iphone for a loooong time... I'm not sure about the X. I don't care for the "notch" or the face recognition. I will hold on to my 7 until I start seeing some real world reviews and I can see one personally. I may switch carriers and if at that point I can do an even swap for an 8 or an X I may consider it.
Then notch can easily be dealt with using software to make those pixels black or whatever color needed to suit the app.

My understanding is Apple is telling developers to embrace the app because it's going to became a differentiator in terms of looks. Now you know you're looking at the newest iPhone instead of having every phone look the same when it's off or in a case.

I actually can't blame them. It's an interesting design and maybe with some more creative developers, it can be used for stuff we haven't thought about.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #53
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Got my 6 Still. I have no reason to spend my money. Once i stop getting the updates then it'll be time.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:50 PM   #54
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
My concern will be the wait... have cash in hand ready to go... i am using a dinosaur 6... If I have wait 6 more months, I will go crazy.
I still have my 6 and its like new in my lifeproof case, so i can also wait off. But i feel ya on the going crazy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I would just get the 7/7+. You’re really not getting a whole lot more for the money.
Yeah a website i saw said the 7 has quite the same things as the 8 and x. This is what sparked me to do this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Still rocking my 5. Will only replace if it breaks and can not reasonably be fixed. Battery has been replaced once.
LOL I feel ya! id still have mine if it was beyond repair. I had it since it came out with 3-4 replaced screens 2 batteries and then some. Only reason it was beyond repair is when i got in a fight and that was a casualty of war somewhere in the mix lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
Check out EverythingApplePro on YouTube to get a better idea of whether or not the X will be worth it for you. I have a 7+, and I don’t think it would be worth it to get an X. Not really pleased with the design either of the X. I checked out the Note 8 the other day, and was impressed by the design of the phone, particularly the screen. It looks better than the X.
If everything i owned wasnt apply i MIGHT look into that but due to that fact nah lol.. plus all my family has iphones so blue is life! iphone are aweosme when you go over seas too, so much easier to communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
My 6 died five days before unveiling of the 8 & X; I'd been an even-numbered, non-S iPhone up until the following day. Since I was forced out of my usual upgrade cycle, I said, "Effit" and bought a 7 Plus to replace it.

I've had the monstrosity for less than a month and I don't think I could go back to a non-Plus sized phone. I use Thanotech's K11 bumper/screen/back protector trio, so it's not too bulky; no kids to worry about handling it, either.

Even if my 6 hadn't died and I wasn't worried about my upgrade "tradition," I'd still be waiting to pull the trigger on an X, or even an 8 for that matter.
I havent got on board with the huge screen yet. the 5 was perfect till it expired. The I got the 6 and its great size, i hear a lot the 7 is perfect but i havent tried it myself. I do like that about the 10 though. Good screen size and still small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
I may have to upgrade my 6, because the newest update turned my phone to shit.
Agreed. apple slows down the old ones to buy the new lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
still got my 6 with broken screen Battery was changed working just fine
hell yeah! rock on bro I would too. I know the x is going to be a while to actually get it but my mint iphone 6 is doing the job as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Got my 6 Still. I have no reason to spend my money. Once i stop getting the updates then it'll be time.
LOL that would be a while too. I know my 5 still got updates
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #55
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
I still have my 6 and its like new in my lifeproof case, so i can also wait off. But i feel ya on the going crazy lol

Yeah a website i saw said the 7 has quite the same things as the 8 and x. This is what sparked me to do this thread

LOL I feel ya! id still have mine if it was beyond repair. I had it since it came out with 3-4 replaced screens 2 batteries and then some. Only reason it was beyond repair is when i got in a fight and that was a casualty of war somewhere in the mix lol

If everything i owned wasnt apply i MIGHT look into that but due to that fact nah lol.. plus all my family has iphones so blue is life! iphone are aweosme when you go over seas too, so much easier to communicate

I havent got on board with the huge screen yet. the 5 was perfect till it expired. The I got the 6 and its great size, i hear a lot the 7 is perfect but i havent tried it myself. I do like that about the 10 though. Good screen size and still small.

Agreed. apple slows down the old ones to buy the new lol

hell yeah! rock on bro I would too. I know the x is going to be a while to actually get it but my mint iphone 6 is doing the job as of now.

LOL that would be a while too. I know my 5 still got updates
fine with me. The thing with the 5 is that small ass screen. As long as it has a nice screen size I'm fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #56
jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
fine with me. The thing with the 5 is that small ass screen. As long as it has a nice screen size I'm fine.
LOL funny how everyone says its a small screen. I remember back in the days this was big . I was good with it when i had it though. Its a good size overall. The 6 is great too
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #57
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

I think I’m more accepting of the phablet size screen because I’m older and I don’t have to strain as much to see/read stuff, heh.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #58
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

I generally sell all of ours every 2 years and upgrade. This time around I’m going for the 8 rather than the x....I have 4 to buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #59
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
i like bright and shiny things. gonna get the X.

the Plus and its large footprint has gotten tiring to carry around and although the X will have a slightly smaller working area compared to my current 7+, it's still the best compromise between screen real estate and ergonomics.

im just not excited having to wake up at 3AM to preorder the damn thing. might order 2 just to make a quick buck (hoping that supplies are limited and im able to get my hands on one on launch day).
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #60
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The iPhone X facial recognition is literally nothing like the garbage used in Samsung's S8 that can be fooled by a picture.

The iPhone system uses 30,000 data points to calculate a 3D rendering of your face.
I dont know what your talking but the iphone x was failing like crazy when it was shown. I am not surprised its apple.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #61
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
I dont know what your talking but the iphone x was failing like crazy when it was shown. I am not surprised its apple.
are you talking about the keynote? because it was working as intended.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #62
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Wrong. Worked as intended and the "failure" was not "like crazy." It was locked due to too many people handling the phone prior to the keynote. A stupid mistake, but a people problem, not a hardware/tech problem.

BTW, I guarantee I know more about AAPL than you, so just give up now.

Are you also "not surprised" AAPL is the most valuable company on earth and makes $50B in profit annually? How about selling 80M iPhones in 1 quarter (almost 1M per day)? Stop posting.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #63
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I don't have to have the latest phone. I want to pay for it and have it handed to me or sent to me. Backorders or early morning line up is frankly a fool's game I have no desire to play.

That being said, my 6 Plus is taking a dump on me daily with resets and battery issues. I'll be pre-ordering the X for sure. If I get a notice that it's backordered until 2018 I will go to the store and buy an 8 Plus and sell it later if the X is reviewed favorably.

I swear to god, if the apple site gets clogged up with people pre-ordering I'll just close my browser and drive to the store and come back with an 8 Plus. I really hate that game. maybe that's why I'm not a sneaker head.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:19 PM   #64
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Picking one up as well. But let's face it, Apple's facial recognition is at least 2 years ahead of the competition. Not to mention Apple's chips are 2 generations ahead of anything Samsung will make or ARM has on their roadmap. Not sure why people would argue about this.
      10-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #65
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

So who's ready to be online at 11:59PM Thursday?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #66
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
So who's ready to be online at 11:59PM Thursday?
It will be 2:59AM for us Eastern time folks.
Appreciate 0