New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

View Poll Results: What colour should I get?
Alpine White 5 14.29%
Crimson Red 2 5.71%
Jet Black 1 2.86%
Metallic Black 8 22.86%
Deep Sea Blue 6 17.14%
Havanna 3 8.57%
Orion Silver 2 5.71%
Space Grey 7 20.00%
Titanium Silver 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

05-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
AndyCarr
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

What colour should I get??

Over the next couple of weeks I have to decide what colour scheme to go for and boy is it hard. What makes it even more difficult is that my brother will be getting a Z4 at the same time and he has already bagged Silver with Red interior.

Does anyone have any great colour combinations in mind (pictures with recommendations would be great thanks)

I'm thinking it's between Orion Silver, Space Grey or Black at the moment.

Orion Silver with Beige interior
Space Grey with Red Interior
Black with Red Interior

If I went for Black, does it look better with Jet Black or Metallic?? Decisions Decisions.

Does anyone have any tips and pics for Interior Trims as well. Is the ash-grain wood worth getting as the BMW Car Builder doesn't make it look very good. Or Satin silver - does it look cheap?

Thanks for anyhelp,

Regards

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

for the Z get the space gray with red, as far as the black choices if you do decide on that go with the metallic black. bottom line get ready for alotofmuthafuckin attention!!!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200385

but the undisputed best color combo is white with red interior, but i would only get that if you dress like a dolce and gabbana model 24/7

BTW, the woods look shitty in all pics. if you can compare some at the dealership it'd be better than relying on pics. having said that if you go with Red interior only aluminum looks good with it

Last edited by Memphis1; 05-22-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
shadowfax777
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport

I'm picking up my space grey with black kansas leather this Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

Don't be put off ordering a black car because of the need to wash it regularly - its a pleasure to wash such a beautiful car.

Most people say to avoid Jet black due to the visibility of the inevitable swirl marks, which Sapphire black hides to some extent due to the metallic content.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I am partial to the Orion Silver. I couldn't make up my mind when I was about to order my car. I was steering towards the DSB, but I was trading in a Monaco Blue, had a gray, and red and white cars and wanted something differerent.

In some internet and magazine pictures the Orion looked stunning and in some others I wasn't sure. After I saw one in the showroom, I was sold. It looked amazing. The color was more silver with a hint of bronze. In the sun it is an amazing color of silver. Some of the online pictures do not do it justice as it appears kind of beige. It is not.

I am glad I found a dealer that had one in stock that I could see in person as I may not have ordered it. Mine is with the Ivory white interior, but the beige would look awesome as well. I also have the anthracite wood trim which I like better than the ash, but I am sure will look great with the beige.

I am a fanatic about keeping my car looking pristine. I am always hand washing it, but this color is easy to maintain. It always looks clean, no swirl marks, etc. After my Monaco Blue, this is a picnic to keep looking great.

My vote is for the Orion. It is a beautiful color, different, and easy to maintain.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Here is my Black Sapphire with Ivory. I love the combo but it does take extra care and time to keep clean. Below that is the 3.0i launch car with Jet Black and Red interior. It has the wood which I think is nice. I prefer the metallic.
Another great combo is the Deep Sea Blue with Ivory. I found a good pic of it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
AndyCarr
Registered
Rep

Thanks for all of your great input so far. It's been most helpful.

I did actually think about doing something completely crazy and getting a chrome wrap put on the car. Here is a link showing the effect on a lambo:
http://83.142.226.143/go/case-studie...ase-study.html

It would either look IMMENSE or I'd end up looking like a twat in it lol

When I went to the showroom, they only had the car in White, Red and Silver.... so before I buy I will get them to bring some other colours in to view too.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #8
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

black with white inside. What ever u do, dont get red!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
AndyCarr
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Here is my Black Sapphire with Ivory. I love the combo but it does take extra care and time to keep clean. Below that is the 3.0i launch car with Jet Black and Red interior. It has the wood which I think is nice. I prefer the metallic.
Another great combo is the Deep Sea Blue with Ivory. I found a good pic of it.
I'm really not noticing much of a difference between the jet black and black saphire....... is it really worth the extra £520??

Great pics by the way - am loving the black and white look
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #10
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCarr View Post
I'm really not noticing much of a difference between the jet black and black saphire....... is it really worth the extra £520??
If you are comparing jet black and black sapphire cars in photos, then I can understand your statement. You need to see the real thing to understand the difference, but the problem is finding a jet black car to look at - they don't sell very many BMWs in jet black in any model. The survey above bears this out - it is not a particularly popular colour.

Most people want the extra sparkle & flare that metallic paint provides, as well as the perfect reflections that you get with the clear coat over the top of the metallic basecoat. Metallic paint shows the contours of the Z4's bodywork better than non-metallic (solid) colours. With the solid jet black, there are great reflections when it's clean, but there's no flare.

As I mentioned previously, people advised me to avoid Jet black due to the visibility of the inevitable swirl marks, which Sapphire black hides to some extent due to the metallic effect.

Besides, when you are talking only about 1% of the car's total retail price, why skimp and go with jet black?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #11
AndyCarr
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKZ View Post
Besides, when you are talking only about 1% of the car's total retail price, why skimp and go with jet black?
Ha ha I wouldn't be skimping... it's just I read a decent length thread on jet black and saphire and the end result was that the Jet Black was the more favoured of the two :-)

I have narrowed my thoughts down to 3 colours combos etc:

1) Space Grey with Red Interior
2) Orion Silver (definitely have to see this in person) and Beige Interior
3) A black of some kind with Ivory white Package
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Of course Jet Black is the superior black of the two (in my opinion). It is much deeper, especially in the sun.

I was at the dealership recently and had the opportunity to compare my car (135i Jet Black) right next to a Black Sapphire 335i which was the better looking car by design I might add.

We (myself, the dealer and assistants) all agreed that Jet Black was superior. It was pretty obvious. The reflections are much clearer. I could imagine a Z4 in JB...it would look very slick. My car had a coating of dust on it too.

My previous car was metallic black and the car before that jet black. I detail cars as a hobby so maintenance isnt a problem. Both will show swirl marks easily if not properly cared for.

Summary: if you like BLACK then Jet black is the best black.

Last edited by Alext; 05-27-2010 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha I wouldn't be skimping... it's just I read a decent length thread on jet black and saphire and the end result was that the Jet Black was the more favoured of the two :-)

I have narrowed my thoughts down to 3 colours combos etc:

1) Space Grey with Red Interior
2) Orion Silver (definitely have to see this in person) and Beige Interior
3) A black of some kind with Ivory white Package
i would say choice #1. my E90 was Jet Black and I almost got ran over multiple times by lorries when it was cloudy and raining or at night, i never had that problem with any of my other cars including my current which is DSB, the JB simply vanishes, good if you're a cop and want to sneak up on people, bad if 40 ton lorries don't see you.
      05-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #14
shadowfax777
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport

Space grey with M Sport Package. My new car was collected yesterday. I love the colour (with black Kansas leather).

[/quote]
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

very nice Shadow, thx for sharing.
      05-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #16
z4mike
Z4 Addict
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Over the next couple of weeks I have to decide what colour scheme to go for and boy is it hard. What makes it even more difficult is that my brother will be getting a Z4 at the same time and he has already bagged Silver with Red interior.

Does anyone have any great colour combinations in mind (pictures with recommendations would be great thanks)

I'm thinking it's between Orion Silver, Space Grey or Black at the moment.

Orion Silver with Beige interior
Space Grey with Red Interior
Black with Red Interior

If I went for Black, does it look better with Jet Black or Metallic?? Decisions Decisions.

Does anyone have any tips and pics for Interior Trims as well. Is the ash-grain wood worth getting as the BMW Car Builder doesn't make it look very good. Or Satin silver - does it look cheap?

Thanks for anyhelp,

Regards

Andy
It should all start with the overall look, sporty or classy. Sporty means clear color while classy would recommend a dark one. The poll indicates what re-sell expectations you could have within a few years. Anyhow I ordered Spacegrey which is definitively a must see especially with 19" wheels.

Michael.
Appreciate 0