New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Smart Top Impressions

Installed it over the weekend and have to say, not sure why this isn't standard (outside of legal issues)

The Install
The instructions are great though it needs to describe a better way to: 1 remove the plugs and 2 stowing of the harness.

The plugs after the 1st or 2nd one are easy what I did was look 2 strings of dental floss and pull the plug from its contact piece. Once I figured that out it was dead easy.

Stowing of the harness after install was tricky where the state to stow it for my car was covered in wires the trick is to find out which one has slack and move them accordingly. You wont ever it get flush for the cover but a slight bump is what I ended up with.

The Top
The top itself. Being able to 1 touch open and close is epic as is being able to put up the top after I part and not waste 22 seconds in the car holding down that button. Also folding mirrors is a nice added bonus.

Since I didnt have comfort access the ability to access the trunk now without putting the top all the way up is great too and welcomed.

Overall it is great just surprised BMW wont let you do this yourself after signing a waver of some sort...

9/10 would be 10/10 with a slight more detailed installation guide.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Thanks for the review.
I have some hesitations to install one.
Mainly because of issues I have read in other posts: owners found all windows open after the night, Roof got stuck in the trunk or stuck in mid-state while folding.
Not sure if issues are related to Smart Top, but they all had it installed and it voided their warranty when they went to dealer to fix issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Coming back to find the windows down has to be a user error.

When you hold the button to close the roof and it starts if you press the lock button once more within one sec of the close command it will reverse the window option. So, the windows will stay down and not close. It will work the same on the open command, if you hit the unlock again quickly it will raise the windows if you had it set to keep them down after open or open them if you have them set to up after open then they will go down.

If you wait any longer and press either button it will stop the roof mid close/open.

I really like the SmartTop features, these should have been in the car from the start.

For some reason my Z4 does not have the option of beeping when I lock or unlock like the manual says it can. In the menu the option of turning on the audible notify is not an option. So using the double lock to close the mirrors lets me see I have locked the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post
Coming back to find the windows down has to be a user error.

When you hold the button to close the roof and it starts if you press the lock button once more within one sec of the close command it will reverse the window option. So, the windows will stay down and not close. It will work the same on the open command, if you hit the unlock again quickly it will raise the windows if you had it set to keep them down after open or open them if you have them set to up after open then they will go down.

If you wait any longer and press either button it will stop the roof mid close/open.

I really like the SmartTop features, these should have been in the car from the start.

For some reason my Z4 does not have the option of beeping when I lock or unlock like the manual says it can. In the menu the option of turning on the audible notify is not an option. So using the double lock to close the mirrors lets me see I have locked the car.
You need to have the alarm installed if you want the beep option. I just found that out a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
TitanTim
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

My smart top cost me nothing, it's called the wife's finger on the button

Tim.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTim View Post

Tim.
Ah Ah!
Same here: "Close/Open that damn roof Wife!"

But mainly alone in the car, I am still tempted by Smart Top, which will solve Wife finger issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTim View Post

Tim.
I would call that a Smart Azz Top.