New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Check your Trunk for dampness/water

Hello All,

Just like to share with you what I read in a German Z4 Forum. I will give you the link below. Here is the post in English I've made no corrections only translated it from German to English, You can do the same using the Google Translator (just copy and paste the text into the google translator).

~~~~~~~~~~ Translated German Text ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello. My Z4 has a huge lake in the trunk. In the well at the battery. Before 14 Days was the vehicle to the dealer, they have determined that a seal (positive pressure ventilation slot, Sorry am not a Mech) is defective and fairway runs through the Pnues in the vehicle. It had to be replaced due to oxidation plug. See photos. After two weeks, it's that time again: the water! All wet, the rubber around the battery is a sponge made​​! The dealer had the following question: is he out there, straight or crooked? I told him that it does not really matter whether an outside or inside the vehicle CHF 100,000 .- is because it is not really "ines oak" (Switzerland) "reinpissen"(German) must. Do you have an idea of where the water can get, because BMW has not!

~~~~~~~~~~~ End of Translation ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the link ....

Click here to go to the link and photo of damage

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I must admit the Google Translation Program is not the best

For those of you that know German I will post the German text here (followed by my translation that might sound a bit better);

Hallo zusammen. Mein Z4 hat einen riesigen See im Kofferraum. In der Vertiefung bei der Fahrzeugbatterie. Vor 14. Tagen war das Fahrzeug beim Händler, sie haben festgestellt, dass eine Dichtung (Ueberdrucklüftungsschlitz, Sorry bin kein Mech.) defekt ist und Fahrwasser durch die Pnues in das Fahrzeug läuft. Es mussten Stecker wegen Oxidierung ausgewechselt werden. Siehe Fotos. Nach zwei Wochen ist es wieder so: Wasser! Alles Nass, der Gummi um die Batterie ist ein Schwamm geworden! Der Händler hatte folgende FRAGE: steht er draussen, gerade oder nicht gerade?! Ich teilte ihm mit, dass es eigentlich egal ist, ob ein Fr. 100'000.- Fahrzeug draussen oder drinnen steht, da es eigentlich nicht "ineseiche" (Schweiz) "reinpissen" (Deutsch) darf. Habt Ihr eine Idee von wo das Wasser kommen kann, denn BMW hat keine !

My Translation of the above text;

Hello. My Z4 has water standing in the trunk. In the lower well where the battery is located. 14 Days ago I had the car at the vehicle to the dealer, they have determined that a seal (positive pressure ventilation slot, Sorry am not a Mechanic) is defective that is part of the electrical harness of the car (see photos). They replaced the seal and after two weeks, it is all the same again, water all over the place the rubber around the battery is like a sponge. Everything is wet. The dealer asked me this question: When you park your car is the car parked on even or uneven ground? I told him that it does not really matter whether I park the car on even or uneven ground inside or outside a car that I paid 100,000.- should not leak.

Do you people have an idea where the water comes from? since BMW seams to have no clue.

End of translation (A somewhat better translation I think,. must have sounded quite funny before I did not read it when originally posted).

Just like to give you guys the heads up, keep an eye on your trunk, it might pay to lift the trunk false bottom flap here and then to check on weather conditions I know when I took my tools out I ended up with a short (trunk light shorted out) the dealer never fixed it, lots of wires down there be careful.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

I have just had an oil change and on the bottom of the sheet it said complimentary upgrade. I asked what it was and was told that the vents(for air pressure when closing the doors) near the rear wheels had been replaced with a new version as the old ones could fill the boot with water. So they are aware of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Es gibt bei mir keine Reinpissen, aber es hat nicht geregnet.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
The only "dampness" I ever got was when I did some "spirited" driving after shopping for wine, and a bottle of Bordeaux broke in the trunk.
Heartbreaking for the wine, and it took 2 days to get the smell out of the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
My Z4 also face the water leak from the roof. After a hand wash I notice a few drops of water behind the left roll-bar, But yesterday after a big rain. The water was dripping into the trunk. Send my Z4 for service now, I don't know what is next
      06-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Z4@Phuket
Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Garage List
2009 BMW Z4  [8.00]
2004 BMW 525i  [0.00]
After 10 days in BMW service
Water leak was from the rear window, they need to remove the rear window and reseal, First I thought water leak was for the rubber seal between the roof section
Mulitiple noises from suspension, rear speaker grill still remains
      05-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
PJCMCIP
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i e89

E89 2009 trunk leak

I just found out that I also have a trunk leak which has resulted in water around the battery, and the corrosion of electical and hydraulics for the roof. So far 8k in damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Yeah my trunk had a couple of cm of water in it as well. The roof showed hickups in opening too. Dried everything and placed the spongy roof motor foam inside a plastic bag for to avoid corosion.
Tried my best to find where the leak is but didn't manage to find it yet. It could be the wheel arches as I only checked around the roof and tailgate / taillights. I do think it was caused by taking a car wash (first time ever...) rather than hand wash as I found soap in the foamy pad while I was squeezing the water out.
Appreciate 0