proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #45
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolo View Post
You realise that they give you 150hp more then an M6 in a car that they sell you almost half the price, don't you think that's a reason enough to have to cut somewhere, can't expect BMW performance and quality at half the BMW price!
That would be true, except for the fact that those Hellcats are insanely marked up. Literally 20 grand over sticker in many areas. I think your point remains, but anybody considering the value of one should also consider the fact that you will never get a Hellcat for $60K.

My brother in law went to get one, and none could be found without a 20 thousand dollar markup. What balls these dealers have. I can't believe people piss away that much markup for this car. He basically said yea fuck you, and got a 392 HEMI.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #46
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Right like the guys paying 100k over on gt3rs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #47
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Sounds great if all you care about is straight line speed. I think the Challenger looks really ugly. The new Mustang looks 100x better.
Looks aside, it's not a terrible handling car. Last I remember it pulls better lateral G's than an e9x m3. It's also faster around Motown Mile than the M4 just for reference.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #48
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Right like the guys paying 100k over on gt3rs.
Is that right? Jesus, is any more justification needed for backing the Tesla sales model and doing away with private dealerships?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #49
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not sure true but ebay bidding has gone to 300K on some.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #50
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
sure, but the wide wheelbase helps it stick

I was just referring to his claim that it was only good in a straight line performance... simply not true, as proven by the numbers

feel is a completely separate and subjective metric
Well, as proven by the track times, it's easily beaten by many cars with significantly less HP. The tires on the hellcat just aren't wide enough for the power. It may have the skidpad, but there's a lot more to it than that, especially with 500-600hp cars like ZL1, Z28, CTS-V, GT350 and others pulling over 1.0 lateral Gs, with the rubber, suspension and for the most part lighter weight to back it all up. The hellcat really is about stuffing a huge engine in a "normal" car and not worrying too much about the other driving dynamics. It's not going to be horrible to drive (you can select a more reasonable power setting for daily driving on the hellcat) if all you do is drive on city streets or the straight highway, but you can get much better driving dynamics from lesser HP cars, so it all depends on what you want.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:36 AM   #51
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115 View Post
Am I crazy? Maybe..... Thinking of swapping to a dodge... What did I just say. Yep - this setup has me thinking about it. Talk some sense into me.....

It looks pretty nice to me. I guess I need to sit in one.

No different cars, different classes.. but I wouldn't kick her out of bed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #52
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Nah the 350R looks better and has more appeal. If you are drag racing or just after hp numbers then you already have the answer.
In cars above 500hp I find that the issue isn't speed anymore in my daily life, they're all very thrilling except maybe for the big heavies, the rest of the car now becomes important.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #53
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Well, as proven by the track times, it's easily beaten by many cars with significantly less HP. The tires on the hellcat just aren't wide enough for the power. It may have the skidpad, but there's a lot more to it than that, especially with 500-600hp cars like ZL1, Z28, CTS-V, GT350 and others pulling over 1.0 lateral Gs, with the rubber, suspension and for the most part lighter weight to back it all up. The hellcat really is about stuffing a huge engine in a "normal" car and not worrying too much about the other driving dynamics. It's not going to be horrible to drive (you can select a more reasonable power setting for daily driving on the hellcat) if all you do is drive on city streets or the straight highway, but you can get much better driving dynamics from lesser HP cars, so it all depends on what you want.
Very true, a hellcat in stock form is very beatable by cars with much less power. You can even break the tires way loose with minimal effort on the SRT with the 392 motor. And that car setup is exactly the same besides the motor. Very first mod a hellcat needs is new wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #54
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

ugly, mustang looks nicer but i wasnt impressed on test drive
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #55
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

4500 lbs. is too much weight for a performance car.

Also not a fan of the looks but this is subjective and not a solid reason if you don't feel the same.
      08-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #56
SocalBM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3

You're barely going to get any objective and/or mature advise on this board. The ignorance and fanboi attitude is a mile wide.

It's a fun car and you'll have a blast. Don't bother listening to all the 20 somethings here.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #57
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
do it!!!

the Hellcat seems amazing....and unique. M3s are great but can easily be attained again if you want....but a car like the Hellcat is much more special IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #58
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
sure, but the wide wheelbase helps it stick

I was just referring to his claim that it was only good in a straight line performance... simply not true, as proven by the numbers

feel is a completely separate and subjective metric
it's about way cars FEEL....screw the statistics.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #59
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Let's just clear the comparisons and suggestions up a bit. I do understand a hellcat is a cruiser and not a track bred instrument. Yes the m's and new 350/r are better equipped to manage track days. Maybe people use their f8s on the track more than the street but I sure don't. I find myself on the street cruising more than taking corners at a G.

Thanks for the responses. I have trouble seeing how a charger looks better like some here do. It bothers me to see the charger in its current configuration when looking back at the original.

Still not sure what I will do - I can't knock the f8 for anything. It is a great car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #60
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
So much hate on this car! Typical BMW forum members. I think challenger is a UNIQUE car with great design and massive performance. Yes, the interior is not my thing but hey, look at the m3/4 interior. It's one of the worst in class and almost nobody complains (except 5,6 or 7 series owners) because of beautiful exterior, less weight and great performance. Most of the haters in this post just worried that their car is slower than this beast. I always wanted to have a challenger in my garage. Maybe it's going to be my 4th car next year, but I have a 3 car garage. First world problems
      08-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #61
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
So much hate on this car! Typical BMW forum members. I think challenger is a UNIQUE car with great design and massive performance. Yes, the interior is not my thing but hey, look at the m3/4 interior. It's one of the worst in class and almost nobody complains (except 5,6 or 7 series owners) because of beautiful exterior, less weight and great performance. Most of the haters in this post just worried that their car is slower than this beast. I always wanted to have a challenger in my garage. Maybe it's going to be my 4th car next year, but I have a 3 car garage. First world problems
i agree.

i've never really even thought about buying american cars until recently so that says a lot.
      08-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #62
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

The car excels at massive hp, straight line acceleration, and cruising. There is nothing wrong with any of that but obviously no one put these at top of their list when they bought their BMW. Not seeing the "hate" just people that prefer a different type of car. It would be really strange to go on a muscle car forum and expect to see a lot of people that would buy a BMW over a muscle car, otherwise why would they be on the muscle car forum.

I don't hate the Hellcat, just not a car for me or one that I would ever buy but would love to drive/ride in one.
      08-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #63
tvo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Garage List
You can just get a Scat Pack, enough power for daily drive at around $40K. Save yourself a whole chunk of $ comparing to Hellcat, if you're buying it to drive every day.

With 485 hp and 475 lb-ft of torque, you'll have no problem moving this fat cat around.

Yeah yeah yeah, I heard all the complaints about it's heavy, can't take corner like Mustang, etc. ARE YOU BUYING THE CAR TO RACE IT EVERYDAY?

The new Mustang is nice, but very limited back seats and trunk space. It is only sit 4 vs 5 on Challenger.

Look are to each of his own. Some people like the look, some people don't. It's the same for other cars, and pretty much for everything else.

I say go for it.

I daily drive my Challenger, and I still love every minutes of driving it. It's not a perfect car, but indeed an excellent vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #64
tvo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

Garage List
One more thing I would like to add to my above post.

You'll see a BMW or a Mustang at almost every block when you drive by. Yeah there are 1 to 8 BMW series, but most people on the road can't differentiate the model, when most BMW are unbadged.

It's the same for Mustang. How many people can tell you're driving a Boss, a Rough, a Shelby, a 350, etc.

You might argue it's the "sleeper" status.

Are you really trying to race from stop light to stop light for cash? Or the moment you hit on the gas pedal, pass someone else real quick, it makes you happy and boost your ego?

You don't see many Challenger around, and that's what I like about.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #65
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvo9 View Post
One more thing I would like to add to my above post.

You'll see a BMW or a Mustang at almost every block when you drive by. Yeah there are 1 to 8 BMW series, but most people on the road can't differentiate the model, when most BMW are unbadged.

It's the same for Mustang. How many people can tell you're driving a Boss, a Rough, a Shelby, a 350, etc.

You might argue it's the "sleeper" status.

Are you really trying to race from stop light to stop light for cash? Or the moment you hit on the gas pedal, pass someone else real quick, it makes you happy and boost your ego?

You don't see many Challenger around, and that's what I like about.
Dude, going back to your first sentence how many Dodge do you see daily? How many M3s? Not bc you don't see challengers on the road means they are nice. Just go to Germany or Austria and then you wil see BMW and MB!!!! And your saying that they are not good bc they are popular?
Driving an M3 is an experience never compared to any American car, maybe to a Viper or a Ford GT. let me ask you, do you have a Challenger bc it's fast on a straight? Good for you. We drive M3 bc its a perfect car all around, design and performance. Sorry to say it and agree if you don't understand the M3 culture. How many Hellcats, Mustangs and Challengers are in Europe? How many M3 are there in America? Just compare dude. There are very little Challengers just bc people don't like them. Hellcats are ugly as Hell!!!! Challengers are a little bit nicer but the interior is awful!!!! That's why they are called muscle cars. The only thing they have is a big engine. Can't understand how you guys like the front grille, the rear and the sides of these cars!!! Challenger, Charger, Hellcat, they all look like from the 70s with a big ass motor. Not the balance between performance and design for me.

By the way, I know what a Boss and a Shelby is but what is a Rough? I guess you meant Roush!!!!

Can't understand how people still argue about the superiority of an M3 to a muscle car like a Challenger, Charger or Mustangs.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #66
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

horribly ugly... dont care how fast it is. if you want american just get the vette