New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
It doesn't handle as well as my previous z4mc

I sold my 07 z4mc about half a year ago for 34k. 5 years and it only lost 16k in value. thats gonna be hard for the e89 to match
Good deal on your part. I was cross shopping 08 z4mc with 12 z4 35i and in the end couldn't bring myself to (possibly) be taking on someone else's trackday toy.

It is really too bad the E89 never came in a fixed roof M version with the V8....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
...With similar tires I am also quiet confident the new Z4 is more comfortable than the old Z4 don't you think?...
I actually agree with the original poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
It doesn't handle as well as my previous z4mc...
I had an E85 and i think the handling was a bit better than the E89. It just doesn't seem to have the same grip that the E85 had. It might be that the E89 has more torque and if i am not mistaken a bit more weight than the E85 but there is clearly a difference. Mine seems to want to push through a corner at hgh speeds until I pitch the nose right or left to almost make it drift. I see a clear difference in handling then but i didnt have to do that with the E85.

Overall though I still love the Z and it is a tight little car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ View Post
Have you taken the lousy runflats off and replaced them with a set of proper performance tires ?

It depreciated 16k from the purchase price or the MSRP?

Back in 2005, I purchased a new 2005 350Z Roadster for $35k and sold it 20 months later for $31k. Sometimes you make out like a bandit.
yes, i am running on bbm lm with pilot super sport tires. 245 front and 275 rear. i hate the horrible run flat tires. i swapped them out before i i did anything else to the car

it depreciated from the price that was sold for when brand new
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I had an E85 and i think the handling was a bit better than the E89. It just doesn't seem to have the same grip that the E85 had. It might be that the E89 has more torque and if i am not mistaken a bit more weight than the E85 but there is clearly a difference. Mine seems to want to push through a corner at hgh speeds until I pitch the nose right or left to almost make it drift. I see a clear difference in handling then but i didnt have to do that with the E85.

Overall though I still love the Z and it is a tight little car.
exactly how i felt even with the same exact tires, the e89 is a lot more tail happy. the power is there but cornering isnt the same. it makes me dont want to push it as hard through the corners as my z4mc.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Blah Blah Blah....whining about it's lack of handling has been beaten up like a dead horse. Just spend some $$$ to tweak this nice chassis to how you want it to handle. Build your own M car since BMW failed to. It has the potential! Besides, most M folks still end up tweaking their rides to their likings.

All M cars are going to turbo technology so having an NA V8 is most likely not going to happen. Even if BMW added the NA v8, we would still hear Blah Blah Blah....lack of torque.

Last edited by stickshifter69; 12-10-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #28
cool4re
Rep
Drives: 2013 sDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ View Post
For the paddles, Left side down, right side up, seems cumbersome to me.

The "push downshift, pull upshift" on either side in my 35i seem correct and convenient.

If I am in the middle of a hard 90 degree turn and my right hand is crossed over my body to the left and I need to shift, EITHER UP OR DOWN, I can do so with my right hand.

In the same situation with the "left side down, right side up" set up, you would only be able to shift up with your right hand. To shift down, you'd have to cross your left arm over or under your right arm to get to the left side paddle which is now on the right since the wheel has been turned. That seems awkward.
Plus, one can use the "pull up, push down" system as a "left side down, right side up" system if desired. All you have to do is not use the other function on each paddle.

So, this begs the question... What benefit was gained by switching to a "left side down, right side up" set up?
Having had the 2011 with both paddles the same I always preferred the paddles on my Ferrari...right for up shifts and left for down shifts, so having both cars the same is now easier for me. Your points are also valid, and on the Ferrari the paddles are NOT connected to the steering wheel so they are always in the same position. Photo attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #29
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

I bought My original Z4 in 2006 (2003 model) for $15K, got a deal and sold it in 2012 for $11K, probably could have done better but wanted to move it

The price of new Z4's is very high. I decided to go the Certified route with one still under the original warranty and low miles and saved almost $20K. Cost me $35K for my 2009 and with 18 months of manufactured Wrranty, free maintenence followed by two years CPO, I am not concerned about issues. Had it 6 months and its been great.

The biggest depreciation is always the moment you drive it off the lot new and the first couple of years after that