New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
simplicityinsound
Rep
Drives: 2005 LGT stage 3

Need some info for a Z4 related project, US and EU market :)

hey guys, sorry to bother you...we are in need of some expertise that i think only you guys can provide.

We are a high end custom car audio shop in the SF bay area. recently, we were approached by a big company to design a tablet mount for a vehicle.

the car they would like to use is a 2015 Z4.

the point of this exercise IS NOT a permanent modification; instead, what needs to happen is an elegant pod module holding a tablet needs to sit on top of the car's dash, and the car (or cars as they could be leasing a z4 local to each show versus having a single car) will be at various trade shows to demo the company's own software and application to car manufacturer execs. basically, "check out what our software could look like in your roadster, Herr Reithofer"

again, this is not meant to be a modification for use by a consumer while driving, but simply sit on the dash and provide a demo.

the bulk of the shows will be in the EU. but we need to build it here in the US as the client is a US based company.

the challenge we see with the Z4 is the infotainment screen, the fact that it is motorized.

we can build our mount to either clip on the dash with the screen down, or clip onto the screen when its up, but what cannot happen is for the screen to want to move while the tablet mount is in place.

so my questions are:

1. is there a way to disable the movement of the infotainment screen, so it remains in the down OR the up position, regardless if the car is turned on or off? and this cannot be a complex mod, they are probably limited overseas to a car menu setting, or pulling a single fuse...recoding the car may not be possible on location.

2. if the screen can be kept in the down position, can the car's BT music streaming still function? as the tablet will be playing audio through the car's BT streaming service.

3. i think i found EU spec e89s that did NOT come with the screen, but a simple storage pocket, is this option also available in the US? I have not been able to find a new z4 on the web without the pop up screen.

thanks in advance everyone!

Bing
www.simplicityinsound.com
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

The screen can be set to stay down but not stay up. It always closes when you turn the engine off if it was up while driving.

Not sure about the BT functionality when the screen is down. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Cars without navigation do not have the pop up screen (called iDrive).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
simplicityinsound
Rep

thank you!

okay, so in a nav car, the screen can be set to always be down, but not up. that is great.

so non nav car in the US, also has that simple storage pocket? I was under the impression that the non nav car still had a screen that showed all the info like climate and audio, but no navigation, as i didnt see any displays for that stuff elsewhere on the dash in my google image searching
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
simplicityinsound
Rep

okay i think i figured it out, the non nav cars, it has a little push button on the dash, i am assuming to pop up the pocket. where as nav cars would have a smooth surface and the screen comes up.

thank you! sounds like the ticket is to get a non nav car!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
simplicityinsound
Rep

here is another question...

with a lot of late model BMWs i have worked on, i have noticed that the car, even when put into IGNITION mode (two pushes of the starter without starting), will turn itself off after a bit of time, this usually occurs when i am tuning a car... if i keep it in ACC mode, it will shut off after no more than what seems like 10 mins, it will stay on a lot longer in IGN mode, but will eventually turn itself off as well.

is this true of the z4 as well?

and is there a way to code this out of the car so that the z4 can remain on and not go to sleep, indefinitely, when in ACC(prefered) or IGNITION mode?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
hey guys, sorry to bother you...we are in need of some expertise that i think only you guys can provide.

We are a high end custom car audio shop in the SF bay area. recently, we were approached by a big company to design a tablet mount for a vehicle.

the car they would like to use is a 2015 Z4.

the point of this exercise IS NOT a permanent modification; instead, what needs to happen is an elegant pod module holding a tablet needs to sit on top of the car's dash, and the car (or cars as they could be leasing a z4 local to each show versus having a single car) will be at various trade shows to demo the company's own software and application to car manufacturer execs. basically, "check out what our software could look like in your roadster, Herr Reithofer"

again, this is not meant to be a modification for use by a consumer while driving, but simply sit on the dash and provide a demo.

the bulk of the shows will be in the EU. but we need to build it here in the US as the client is a US based company.

the challenge we see with the Z4 is the infotainment screen, the fact that it is motorized.

we can build our mount to either clip on the dash with the screen down, or clip onto the screen when its up, but what cannot happen is for the screen to want to move while the tablet mount is in place.

so my questions are:

1. is there a way to disable the movement of the infotainment screen, so it remains in the down OR the up position, regardless if the car is turned on or off? and this cannot be a complex mod, they are probably limited overseas to a car menu setting, or pulling a single fuse...recoding the car may not be possible on location.

2. if the screen can be kept in the down position, can the car's BT music streaming still function? as the tablet will be playing audio through the car's BT streaming service.

3. i think i found EU spec e89s that did NOT come with the screen, but a simple storage pocket, is this option also available in the US? I have not been able to find a new z4 on the web without the pop up screen.

thanks in advance everyone!

Bing
www.simplicityinsound.com

BT can be used when the screen is closed. The screen remains closed until you start messing with the iDrive.

As per your 3rd question, US Models have some without the popup screen. IDrive is an option as well. So if that package was not selected, it is a storage compartment.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
simplicityinsound
Rep

thanks guys! unfortunately, as it turned out, now they cannot seem to find a z4 in spain easily...so they are looking at the 4 series convertible...sigh..we will see how it goes
Appreciate 0