New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

11-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
ErnestY
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Vinyl Carbon wrap finished! 09 Sdrive35i

finished applying my vinyl wrap on my trim! saw another members work and had to copy it!!! i had to snap the aft internal trim attachments on the door handle trim as it is melted into place from factory. reattached handle trim to door panel with 3m double sided tape. i drilled the trim attachments from the a/c and light selector sections and re-glued them back with epoxy. i highly recommend apply heat after applying vinyl to trim, it better activates the adhesive and form the vinyl in place. otherwise bubbling or "pleating" can occur after a few days. thats what happened to me. after i applied a little heat from my heat gun, three weeks and no issues yet.
Attached Images

11-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Really like the wet carbon look!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
ErnestY
Rep

i had to use 2 rolls ($10 per roll 1ftx5ft) with a lot left over to wrap the trim. i might have been able to use one roll if i premeasured better. i was surprised how inexpensive it was for 3m vinyl and how nice the wrap quality was. it even reflects the weave differently at different light angles.

link to amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DY...ds=TECKWRAP+5d
      11-13-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

how and where do you pry out the trim? i really need to do this. the old wooden trim makes it look so dated
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

That looks really sharp, best i have see that isn't either carbon skinned or real carbon fiber. well done
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

no one is going to show me pictures of how to remove the trim?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
ErnestY
Rep

i bought a trim removal kit from harbor freight for about $5. plastic pry bars to prevent damaging the surrounding panels.

the only easy trim panel is the center column, gear shift selector. working the pry bars around the trim, it will pop right off. you will have to pop off the leather boot and remove it. disconnect the wire connectors, and then the trim will come out.

the door trim panels have the aft ends with little posts that are "melted" on the inner side of the panel to secure it. i had to pry hard enough to break the melted ends off. the front half of the trim is clipped and and pops off easy. you will have to comfortable with just 3m double back taping the aft ends back in place after wrapping.

the light selector trim and center "a/c control panel" trim are also melted into the leather panel with plastic posts. these are bigger round posts that were easy to drill off the melted ends. after wrapping, i epoxied the trim onto the panel at the drilled end locations. btw, the light selector panel pops right off, but the a/c panel. has multiple screw attachments below the trim with clips on top. you have to remove the radio to access the lower screws. there is a post in the forums that shows where the screw are. i will try to find it again and post the link.

sorry no pics, i wasn't thinks of posting my results originally, but after all that work and how nice it came out i thought it would be good enough to show. let me know if i can elaborate any steps more clearly for you.
      11-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
ErnestY
Rep

here is the link to the control panel removal and the screw locations. I don't have the NAV system so I had to remove the radio to get to the screws above the radio. If you have the CD player, I believe you can access without removing the player.

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...h+trim+removal
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
ErnestY
Rep

here is a pic of the melted attachment posts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
ErnestY
Rep

not my car, copied from the pic in the link.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 07:09 PM   #11
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Hi, Im a little late to the party here.
In the process of buying a 35is and planning to do a whole host of mods, including wrapping the interior trim pieces.
The trim pieces are smooth, and not the carbon textured aluminium option.

I have some experience wrapping intricate parts and was hoping to do these trim pieces without breaking them off the panel.
Plan is to remove the panels. Take any attached switches and dials.
Use knifeless tape around the edges to avoid cutting/ scratching the panels by accident.
From you experience do you think a neat job is possible without breaking them trim pieces off the panel?

Last edited by mittu; 12-31-2023 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 09:19 AM   #12
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
Hi, Im a little late to the party here.
In the process of buying a 35is and planning to do a whole host of mods, including wrapping the interior trim pieces.
The trim pieces are smooth, and not the carbon textured aluminium option.

I have some experience wrapping intricate parts and was hoping to do these trim pieces without breaking them off the panel.
Plan is to remove the panels. Take any attached switches and dials.
Use knifeless tape around the edges to avoid cutting/ scratching the panels by accident.
From you experience do you think a neat job is possible without breaking them trim pieces off the panel?
This forum is even more dead than when I got my Z4 a couple years ago. I can tell you for certain you don't need to break anything apart to do the main dash trim piece. I mean you COULD if you were a crazy person, but I wrapped mine with the other piece attached to it and it was no problem at all. The doors and drivers side trim will probably be harder though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 12:56 AM   #13
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
This forum is even more dead than when I got my Z4 a couple years ago.
Guess facebook groups is the new hot thing... Seen yourself posting on e89 groups there...
Second thing is that cars are getting older... all main issues have already been covered mostly and you can just google or search the forum, watch a video on youtube to find answers you need.. no need to post...

I for example watched your steering wheel swap video recently...

But yeah ive been on this forum since 2016... back then this forum still had people on that had bought or leased their z4-s new...it was a bit different vibe.. Now its mostly new second or even third owners that sometimes post questions and a handful of kind users that try to be helpful and answer...

Last edited by KennyP; 02-09-2024 at 03:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
B21136.50
      02-09-2024, 12:54 PM   #14
proboner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Guess facebook groups is the new hot thing... Seen yourself posting on e89 groups there...

I for example watched your steering wheel swap video recently...
I see you're piecing together my trail! Death of the forums has certainly caused the move to FB/YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 04:21 PM   #15
B21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Atacama Yellow 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
This forum is even more dead than when I got my Z4 a couple years ago. I can tell you for certain you don't need to break anything apart to do the main dash trim piece. I mean you COULD if you were a crazy person, but I wrapped mine with the other piece attached to it and it was no problem at all. The doors and drivers side trim will probably be harder though.
I guess the profile of the owner has changed over time too?

Back then a lot of cars were new, used daily, and there were a sea of mods and updates available….now many of the cars are garage queens, the mods are done..

I guess people find FB etc more instantly accessible…generally I find the quality and depth of information generally lacking on social media.

I’m on another forum for older cars and the pace there is even more pedestrian….
Appreciate 1
mittu27.50
      02-09-2024, 06:18 PM   #16
proboner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B21 View Post
I guess the profile of the owner has changed over time too?

Back then a lot of cars were new, used daily, and there were a sea of mods and updates available….now many of the cars are garage queens, the mods are done..

I guess people find FB etc more instantly accessible…generally I find the quality and depth of information generally lacking on social media.

I’m on another forum for older cars and the pace there is even more pedestrian….
That's exactly it. Facebook has no build threads, not really searchable, certainly no in-depth how-tos. Insta is fun to look at pictures, but not really useful at all. Only YouTube can match the forums in terms of understanding how to do things.
Appreciate 1
B21136.50