New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
goaljnky
Rep
Drives: 2011 S Drive 3.5 IS

DTC and DSC off. Possilbe?

A question for you experts. It seems that if I turn off the DTC and then try to turn of the DSC (hold the DTC button for about 5 seconds) it over rides the DTC. Also if I select Sport+ (which turns of the DTC) and then try to disable the DSC it takes me out of the Sport+.

If I turn of DSC and then try to go into Sport+, it turns the DSC back on. Is there no way to do both?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
that is weird. but it seems to me that DTC can't be switched off completely. the only time I was able to throw my tail out and sustain a slide was in DTC mode (hold down DSC off button for 4 sec) I haven't found a less intrusive mode yet.

i think that's DTC (normal only) as asbjorn suggested.
      04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

if you hold the button for long enough it will turn off the DSC and DTC. it will also put the suspension and gearbox into least aggressive mode

sport+ is not too bad... as others have said it will allow you to slide the car while providing a safety net.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
if you hold the button for long enough it will turn off the DSC and DTC. it will also put the suspension and gearbox into least aggressive mode
really? so it will first turn off DSC, and if you keep it held down it will eventually turn off DTC as well?
      04-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

sport+ is not too bad... as others have said it will allow you to slide the car while providing a safety net.
      04-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
really? so it will first turn off DSC, and if you keep it held down it will eventually turn off DTC as well?
shorter press = DTC (a subprogramme of DSC)
very long press = everything off (no DSC)
It is clearly indicated in the instrument cluster what happens. Just hold the button down and wait.

Now, with everything off, go to a huge parking lot with no other cars, curbs or obstacles. Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, push the gas pedal to the floor in 1st and you will soon know what "DSC=off" means
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Mr Wolf 581
Italy
Rep
Drives: CE 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Now, with everything off, go to a huge parking lot with no other cars, curbs or obstacles. Turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, push the gas pedal to the floor in 1st and you will soon know what "DSC=off" means
Ahaha! That's true... too bad it's not possible to have it off in Sport+ mode!

The Wolf: That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

This is the way it has traditionally been:

One press: DSC off, DTC on. (I got into an arguement a few months ago about this one, so let me explain. The primary difference between DSC and DTC is that DSC adjusts the engine as well as modulating the brakes. DTC just does the brakes.)

Press and Hold: DSC and DTC off. However, on newer BMW's their will still be some brake modulation on the rear wheels. This is called the e-diff and essentially its a half ass solution to fix the tendency of an open diff car to send the power to the wheel with the least grip (which is often the inner wheel).

I don't know about how/if sport or sport plus effects it.
Appreciate 0