New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-20-2023, 03:30 AM   #1
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

E89 New Style of Drinks Holder

Hi all,
I've been talking to Baldor over the last few weeks after I found out he had designed a drinks holder to replace the ashtray in the Z4. Now I don't smoke so this was a great idea, in my mind, to have something useful on longer journeys.
He has now sent me one (FOC) for which I've made a video for him to use to promote it. I'm genuiningly very happy with it and it does exactly what you'd want from it. Now it could be seen as a comprimise due to it's location, but I certainly think it is far better and of much more use than the alternatives.
Anyway I've attached some photos and my video, and if you want to buy one, here is the link to his site... https://bimmercup.com

Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q

Last edited by DavesZed; 07-20-2023 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
larrytstarr
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi. I tried to order one of these. Tried a few times. Each time my payment failed. All is well with my Mastercard. Any thoughts why I couldn't complete the purchase? I'm in Massachusetts, USA. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 04:20 PM   #3
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytstarr View Post
Hi. I tried to order one of these. Tried a few times. Each time my payment failed. All is well with my Mastercard. Any thoughts why I couldn't complete the purchase? I'm in Massachusetts, USA. Thanks.
Sorry absolutely no idea, other than receiving and fitting one I'm not connected to the website. There is a contact section though.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:48 PM   #4
larrytstarr
Rep

Well, good news. Tonight, my purchase went through. Same card and info but tonight it worked. I look forward to installing this. Thanks for the video detailing the installation. Best . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 02:28 AM   #5
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytstarr View Post
Well, good news. Tonight, my purchase went through. Same card and info but tonight it worked. I look forward to installing this. Thanks for the video detailing the installation. Best . . .
Glad you're sorted

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 07:09 PM   #6
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

I think it looks nice and it's definitely a great idea, however I have a 2011 auto and I don't think there is enough room.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 11:42 PM   #7
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
I think it looks nice and it's definitely a great idea, however I have a 2011 auto and I don't think there is enough room.
The auto leaver is no further forward than my manual is in 3rd. 3rd being the forward most central point, same as reverse in the auto.

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 05:09 PM   #8
MRCW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i X1 35i

I notice you show some small cans will this accommodate water bottles? Perhaps the sleeves can be tilted slightly too fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #9
larrytstarr
Rep

I installed one of these yesterday. It fits and works perfectly, given the space available. Yes, it's tight up there. Yes, your finger might hit it if you have a six speed, as I do. But on balance, it's a very nice, functional, cup holder that is far superior to those inside the center console and the one that extends into the passenger leg space. It's also a cinch to install, thanks to DavesZed's video.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
dryadsdad
Rep
Drives: BMW E89, Toyota Tacoma TRD

Looks good. I have a cupholder that looks like an afterthought grafted on the passenger size of the console. Is that removable?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #11
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post
Looks good. I have a cupholder that looks like an afterthought grafted on the passenger size of the console. Is that removable?
Do you mean like this attached (without the metal cup)?
If so then that was an option
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:19 PM   #12
dryadsdad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Do you mean like this attached (without the metal cup)?
If so then that was an option
Yes. I don't like the grafted on look it has. Is it removable so I am not left with interior damage? I've yet to look on it but you brought up the entire cupholder business so I hoped you'd know.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #13
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes. I don't like the grafted on look it has. Is it removable so I am not left with interior damage? I've yet to look on it but you brought up the entire cupholder business so I hoped you'd know.

TIA.
You would need to cut a hole in the side of the console. Then you have a finisher that fits over the hole (there's a piece on the inside as well). This finisher has a sprung flap which opens when the bar of the cup holder pushes into it, it then clicks and is held in place.

Appreciate 1
      08-28-2023, 07:19 AM   #14
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Yes. Just pull firmly. There’s a plug in the glovebox to store it.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2023, 09:23 AM   #15
dryadsdad
Rep

Thanks to both. I'll check the glove box to see if the patch has survived there since the car was new. If so, I'll do a side cup removal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #16
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Thanks to both. I'll check the glove box to see if the patch has survived there since the car was new. If so, I'll do a side cup removal.
I didn't get 'patch'. In the glovebox, there's a female plug that matches the male plug of the cupholder that is hanging out on the passenger side console. It's part of the glovebox. It may, but it doesn't seem the female plug is removable. It should be there.

Once you remove the cupholder from the passenger side console, I think there's an internal flap that closes the hole. Otherwise there's nothing to do.

If you run into a snag, send me a PM with a number, and we can do a video from my car. It's really very simple once you get the hang of it.
      08-28-2023, 11:45 AM   #17
dryadsdad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
I didn't get 'patch'. In the glovebox, there's a female plug that matches the male plug of the cupholder that is hanging out on the passenger side console. It's part of the glovebox. It may, but it doesn't seem the female plug is removable. It should be there.

Once you remove the cupholder from the passenger side console, I think there's an internal flap that closes the hole. Otherwise there's nothing to do.

If you run into a snag, send me a PM with a number, and we can do a video from my car. It's really very simple once you get the hang of it.
OK, thanks.
Appreciate 0