New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

11-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

BMW CPO or used - should I?

Hi all,

I have had only 1 BMW so far and it was a 2012 3 series which I leased after reading the forums and people recommending to stay away from BMW or any German cars after the warranty expires.

However, I have also heard arguments that one could get great deals on a used or CPO BMW.

I have a family and this car will be used as DD and I don't want a car that will have to go to the shop all the time or stalls on the side of the road while I am running errands etc.

I am shopping for an SUV and the X5 is one of the contenders but I am also interested in general about CPO or used BMW.

I told my wife that instead of leasing and having a 2 car lease payment cycle, we could lease one car and buy used or CPO my car, but she is hesitant about buying a German car and to be honest I am too, but I am trying to convince myself that if I get a low mileage CPO it should be fine.

One of our friends got a 2011 3 series the same time we got ours but they bought new and recently when we met he told me that at 52,000 miles his car has some hvac issues and had to pay close to $2000 for repair.

Also, really not sure if X5 is the suv that I should get. I am conflicted coz on one hand I read that it drives great and comfortable, while others complain that the ride is too harsh and it feels cheap inside and for the money one could do better, but I don't know which other SUV comes close to X5?

I did take a short test drive and it did not feel anything special where I felt like I have to buy this, whereas when I first drove the 3 series I was hooked.

The GLE is another option, or the XC90 and the MDX (don't like the infotainment). The GL450 will be too big for everyday drive and running around town.

I really don't like anything else out there. This is becoming such a hard decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I can't say anything about the X5, but I'm only a little over a year into my CPO purchase, but I would not hesitate to do it again.

In fact a CPO is really the only used car I would consider anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
Hi all,

I have had only 1 BMW so far and it was a 2012 3 series which I leased after reading the forums and people recommending to stay away from BMW or any German cars after the warranty expires.

However, I have also heard arguments that one could get great deals on a used or CPO BMW.

I have a family and this car will be used as DD and I don't want a car that will have to go to the shop all the time or stalls on the side of the road while I am running errands etc.

I am shopping for an SUV and the X5 is one of the contenders but I am also interested in general about CPO or used BMW.

I told my wife that instead of leasing and having a 2 car lease payment cycle, we could lease one car and buy used or CPO my car, but she is hesitant about buying a German car and to be honest I am too, but I am trying to convince myself that if I get a low mileage CPO it should be fine.

One of our friends got a 2011 3 series the same time we got ours but they bought new and recently when we met he told me that at 52,000 miles his car has some hvac issues and had to pay close to $2000 for repair.

Also, really not sure if X5 is the suv that I should get. I am conflicted coz on one hand I read that it drives great and comfortable, while others complain that the ride is too harsh and it feels cheap inside and for the money one could do better, but I don't know which other SUV comes close to X5?

I did take a short test drive and it did not feel anything special where I felt like I have to buy this, whereas when I first drove the 3 series I was hooked.

The GLE is another option, or the XC90 and the MDX (don't like the infotainment). The GL450 will be too big for everyday drive and running around town.

I really don't like anything else out there. This is becoming such a hard decision.
I would think this would be better suited in the Xpost section of this message board. But I will chime in with my two cents.

I am not certain which version of the X5 you are looking at, and that would definitely help with people providing you with their two cents.

From my experience I have no issue with purchasing a "used" BMW after warranty is expired. The reason being is you can always purchase a car with CPO, or go with another third party warranty company to handle any issue you have with your car.

With that being said, I purchased a 2011 E70 X5 M-Sport. I test drove the new f15 and was not a fan of it (the steering felt odd to me) But found a E70 X5 for a great price that I could not pass up (had pretty much all the features I wanted and came with CPO) CPO has expired on the car, but I opted to purchase a extended warranty for the car.

Honestly, it is up to how you take care of the car, yes things can happen regardless, but major thing about cars in general is how you take care of it.

I would highly recommend testing driving a few and seeing what car fits you well, and making a decision with that in mind and your budget.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
sid369
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RAV4

I am looking at the 2014 X5 35i, and I do take care of my cars by which if you mean regular maintenance and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Evolve Automotive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I am looking at the 2014 X5 35i, and I do take care of my cars by which if you mean regular maintenance and stuff.
then you have no issues, i would go drive one and see what you think about it.
Appreciate 0