New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #89
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

The rear bumper looks a bit like it's attempting to give birth to another car... and the front bumper now seems kind of nasty as opposed to just menacing. I'm not much for ad-ons but I think the MW Design Lip Apron did a better job of finishing the front bumper than the 09 or 11.

I personally like a quiet smooth low profile touring roadster as opposed to a meat eating rail handling monster. Interesting though that this car seems to capture the imagination of both camps pretty well.

So, if I had to buy a new car again next year, the z4 2011 would still blow away any competition I've seen so far... but I might have to dye the gray out of my hair when I put the top down so I won't look out of place.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #90
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89Tardis View Post
... but I might have to dye the gray out of my hair when I put the top down so I won't look out of place.
Nah. . . you'd be in good company with Jeremy Clarkson and his bald patch driving an F430 spider.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #91
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
here's my thought...

they sack the full M version because of the economy, but they know people are gonna want the latest and greatest, so they remap the engine (which is the same as the 35i and for $600 i can make just as powerful), make the sport shocks standard, change the steering wheel (BTW i love my shiny steering wheel), switch the front and rear spoiler, throw diff wheels and charge more for the same thing...

"There's a sucker born every minute" -P.T. Barnum
That about sums it up to a tee.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #92
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Totally agree. The entire package is a win-win for BMW.

BMWs hp & tq figures are underrated regardless, and it's $0 cost for BMW to flash the ecu at the factory with any code they choose. They've got to put bumpers, wheels, upholstery, etc., on the car anyway and nothing they are installing on the "s" as an upgrade is any more expensive than the normal materials they use for the 35i. And they brag about the 10 mm drop, but the 35i Adaptive M Suspension does that already.

So they have combined some already standard options with some no cost visual changes and likely will charge another $10k US for it. Like I said, it looks like BMW is using the US auto manufactures playbook from the 60's and 70's. They need to get all the marketing guys and lock 'em away.
Very well stated. And perhaps, that's why there's no mention of a brake upgrade - since that would actually cost BMW more to build.
I'll be curious to know just how much this "upgrade" does increase the MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #93
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

I have to think they are gauging response to some M badges etc, for a minimal cost, but probably an expensive upgrade. If the response is good, then they will give a full blown M, and forge ahead with increased costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #94
BarbeRouge
Life is short
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan

Quote:
here's my thought...

they sack the full M version because of the economy, but they know people are gonna want the latest and greatest, so they remap the engine (which is the same as the 35i and for $600 i can make just as powerful), make the sport shocks standard, change the steering wheel (BTW i love my shiny steering wheel), switch the front and rear spoiler, throw diff wheels and charge more for the same thing...

here's my thought...this car looks better than your car, and has more power from the factory than your car. Although I do think there should be even more power for the price their going to ask, but at the same time, I would never buy your version for the price it is. Plus, last time I checked, they are not putting a gun to anyones head to buy the car. Don't hate because you spent your money on a lesser version. Classic.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #95
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
I wonder if they upgraded the really poor standard audio system?

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #96
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa34 View Post
here's my thought...this car looks better than your car, and has more power from the factory than your car. Although I do think there should be even more power for the price their going to ask, but at the same time, I would never buy your version for the price it is. Plus, last time I checked, they are not putting a gun to anyones head to buy the car. Don't hate because you spent your money on a lesser version. Classic.
So far this thread has been very civil and no one has gotten personal or said a sarcastic remark against anyone else, but you went their in a heartbeat. Last I heard it's OK to openly analyze and discuss options, benefits, etc.

Are you against free speech, or just a bimmer fan boy who got his feathers ruffled bc someone was critical of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #97
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I thought I paid too much for our Z4 35i with a sticker of about $65k - can't imagine how much more this will be??? Can BMW just sell me some performance parts please - power package, brake upgrade, etc. Our Eisenmann race exhaust is almost here and can't wait.

I also dislike the rear bumper greatly - it goes against the lines of the car; otherwise I like it. It needs 19" wheels though.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #98
GT Sounds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

As a 3.0 owner and someone who really loves the look of the new Z, I hope they produce a true M as I really want to see it! Such a version would make me question what to get next.

I dig some of the new features on this 3.5is although like others, some small complaints: I'm not too wild about the silver color on the side mirrors and where's the fog lights? Although no manual, is that confirmed? :/ Still, very hot.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #99
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Quote:
As to whether the new versions look better is a matter of opinion and yours is worth no more than anyone else's. And, if my car is "lesser" because it is a few tenths of a second slower to 60mph, well maybe that's the difference it takes for the cops to nab you while I zip on by. Cheers.
      12-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #100
bobbydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I like the original version more....I have the e90 M3 and it really stands out compared to the other 3 series. "a four door with the front of the coupe"
But this Z4 35is is nothing more than a bumper change and a software upgrade.
BTW, no need for BMW to come out with a full Z4m V8. A tuned 35i can easily beat a M3...I know, I was smoked by one.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #101
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
As to whether the new versions look better is a matter of opinion and yours is worth no more than anyone else's. And, if my car is "lesser" because it is a few tenths of a second slower to 60mph, well maybe that's the difference it takes for the cops to nab you while I zip on by. Cheers.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #102
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

For everybody who feels slighted by what appears to be a facelift only 1 year into production... this isn't one. It's an aero package. Nothing new from BMW really.

Are there any pics of the new seats?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #103
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
wow thats harsh!! Some people need to lighten up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #104
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
...it's a FRONT and REAR FACIA CHANGE. So, here's the way I see it. After reading all your posts (to which I already responded) and your post where you're rambling about a christmas present or something....... You totally overreacted and exaggerated your response to a front and rear facia change. A front and rear facia change. Pullleeease. Can you lay it on any thicker? Your responses are all worlds different than everyone elses....and for the life of me, I simply cannot figure out why you would exaggerate like that.

Anyone can add the additional power (via a flash) at what is going to be 1/10 th the cost of whatever BMW will charge for this package ...and you know that too, so I'm just not getting you. Sorry.

Car mfgs. are constantly making incremental changes to models or replacing old models with new ones. It's a fact of life. We all understand this happens. Sooner or later all models get updated or replaced (like your 2003 M3, for example). So according to you, what...we should all be upset or will soon be upset about our car, because it is not the most recent itteration?? Again, I'm just not getting the point of all the exaggeration.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-06-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #105
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

It is mostly an aero package and while I like the front, I absolutely do not like the rear. It just doesn't look right. It really looks like an afterthought. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would still order the 35i that I currently have. They got it right the first time around. Moving those rear reflectors up and adding that lower part of the bumper looks hideous. They should have re-designed an entire new bumper.

Sure, I wouldn't mind the extra horses and the exhaust note, but not at the expense of that hideous rear.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #106
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
It is mostly an aero package and while I like the front, I absolutely do not like the rear. It just doesn't look right. It really looks like an afterthought. Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would still order the 35i that I currently have. They got it right the first time around. Moving those rear reflectors up and adding that lower part of the bumper looks hideous. They should have re-designed an entire new bumper.

Sure, I wouldn't mind the extra horses and the exhaust note, but not at the expense of that hideous rear.
Completely agree! The rear just looks incomplete, like half the bumper has been cut away, just for the sake of it. I also don't like the reflectors being positioned as high. The front looks sharper and has started to grow on me.
      12-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #107
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

like the front bumper, like the power increase
don't like the rear bumper, rear view mirrors, or carbon interior
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #108
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
I've found what I want for X-MAS. Come on Santa, don't let me down.
Quote:
Hi Mr. Troll, did you take offense at my P.T. Barnum quote? Is that it?

Your futile, half-witted, indiscreet, nonsensical reply solely reflects on you.
      12-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #109
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
What a dissapointment.
1. No Manual option
2. Lackluster performance boost
3. No brake upgrade - should xdrilled discs+6 pistons
4. Horrible aluminium trim - reminds me of stock 135i trim
5. Wheels look cheap and should be 19inch
6. Silly side mirrors
7. Price premium???

What I do like is the new exhaust system (heard it testing at nurburgring) and tightened steering response. But unfortunately for me the negatives outweigh the positives.[snip...]...
Agreed. And add to your list:

- Z4sDrive35is... seriously?! And it's emblazoned across the side of the car. Reminds me of that dumb move Mercedes made by plastering the word 'Kompressor' across the side of their super-charged cars back in the late 90's, early 2000s.

- So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period. The name is stupid.

- Why dilute the power of the ///M brand by attaching it to a car that's "not quite an ///M"?! Should have sucked it up and done it right -- bringing not this badge-engineered ///M car to market, but a true ///M roadster.

Quote:
here's my thought...

Bingo!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #110
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Agreed. And add to your list:

- Z4sDrive35is... seriously?! And it's emblazoned across the side of the car. Reminds me of that dumb move Mercedes made by plastering the word 'Kompressor' across the side of their super-charged cars back in the late 90's, early 2000s.

- So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period. The name is stupid.Bingo!
While I wholeheartedly agree that the naming convention is dumb. It follows that of the 3 series, X5 series, etc. Afterall, they only added a single letter to what the car was already referred with this new ///M sport pack... that being the 's' on the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
- Why dilute the power of the ///M brand by attaching it to a car that's "not quite an ///M"?! Should have sucked it up and done it right -- bringing not this badge-engineered ///M car to market, but a true ///M roadster.
This is something BMW has been offering for aero/sport package equipped non-///M cars for decades. Just not in this country for some time now until recently.
Appreciate 0