New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
solidgold
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Quote:
Sorry for being dense, but what is that?
Would something like the Focal KRX3 3 piece components fit?
OK if yr question is ICE installer? ICE is In Car Entertainment in short.
So ICE installer is basically car accessories and car audio shop.

I am using Focal KR 165 3-way component speakers (but I configured it 2-way since I only have a 2-channel amp). Most important is the fitting. Z4 side doors is only 4.5". So you need to find a speaker to fit snugly. So any config with a 5" or 6" mids cannot fit that space. Unless you want to cut out a whole in your side panel ( I don't want to deface it). The foot well space is easy for 6" speakers and that location gives you an added boast to the bass. So a decent mid-bass speaker will sound beautifully bassy. Of course you can add a kickbox type sub to beef up the lower freq but you will need space for a sub. No space.
Tweeter is easy too...most will fit snugly. Now come the cross-over, which is passive for me. Have them in the side doors but make sure your installer have a decent overlap between high-mid and mid-bass freq if u are thinking of 2-way setup.

Woola..u are ready to rock and roll!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #24
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
any more settings guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #25
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

bump for actual settings on the EQ....just picked up a new E89 35is and am just running the EQ with flat settings....pretty blah, would live to see something posted that is ideal for the Z4
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Voytek
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB30 View Post
I actually work in the music industry and I find the premium sound system in my 2010 Z4 utterly atrocious! I've tried nearly every setting combination (eq, surround vs. non-surround setting, etc.) and it still sounds horrible. It's pretty much the only thing I don't like about the car but as I live in Los Angeles and would like to take advantage of my commute time to do some listening, I was hoping some kind soul out there could let us know if they've done any aftermarket upgrades to their system to get it to sound decent.

Thanks!
Same, I'm a professional DJ so I'm really trying to get the premium system to sound good but I'm a bit disappointed. They say the stock system is really terrible however it was fine in my previous BMW's but for a premium system of 1100 euro's I figured it would be much better. Not saying it is bad but the price is very steep for what you are getting. Other than that I LOVE my new Z4. (Had it for a week now)

I'll try to figure out some decent EQ settings myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voytek View Post
Same, I'm a professional DJ so I'm really trying to get the premium system to sound good but I'm a bit disappointed. They say the stock system is really terrible however it was fine in my previous BMW's but for a premium system of 1100 euro's I figured it would be much better. Not saying it is bad but the price is very steep for what you are getting. Other than that I LOVE my new Z4. (Had it for a week now)

I'll try to figure out some decent EQ settings myself.
If you get the figures worked out, please let me know

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #28
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB30 View Post
OT--Anyone out there have BOTH fuel pumps go out on them?
The answer is yes, but not necessarily because both of them went bad. Especially with MY 09 and MY 10, people reported dealers replacing the HPFP, but the problem not being fixed and going back to have the dealer replace the low pressure in-tank pump. No doubt these are based on a misdiagnosis of the in-tank pump. BMW has since added diagnostic codes to help with this problem. Fortunately BMW is pretty much out of the woods with the HPFP issue.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 03-26-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep

Anyone have EQ specs on the Z4??

Should I copy the ones used for the E93 or E92??
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

One of the things about this thread that makes no sense is that nobody is talking about several things that matter a lot when talking about equalizer settings:

- What's the goal? Equalizers were invented to provide a "flat" frequency response. That is, when a signal consisting of specific intensities and specific frequencies was fed into the system, that's what came out of the speakers. The analogy here would be to calibrating a TV to provide an objectively accurate color rendition.

However, many listeners don't *like* a flat response and prefer boosted bass or treble just as some viewers prefer a TV image with significantly distorted color rendition. So, "optimum" settings depend hugely on the listener's preferences. My preferences won't likely match yours, so my optimum equalizer settings probably won't match yours, either.

- What's the source material? Nobody really listens to electronically-generated test tones while driving down the highway. Even for those of us who generally prefer flat equalization for most music, there are types of material that work better with other settings (for example, spoken material). I tend to use somewhat different settings for chamber music than I do for big orchestral works.

Ultimately, the "best" equalizer settings end up being a matter of opinion.
2004 E85 Z4 3.0 Sport - Sold to brother | 2004 E83 X3 xDrive3.0i - Gone | 2011 E89 Z4 35is - Gone | 2011 F25 X3 xDrive35i - Gone | 2014 E89 Z4 E89 35is - Gone | 2014 F25 X3 xDrive 30i X3 - Gone | 2017 F83 M4 Cabriolet - Gone | 2017 F25 X3 xDrive30i - Gone
2020 G29 Z4 M40i Misanoblau | 2020 G01 M40i Phytonicblau
Casa Suzana, vacation rental villa in Cozumel, Mexico
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #31
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
One of the things about this thread that makes no sense is that nobody is talking about several things that matter a lot when talking about equalizer settings:

- What's the goal? Equalizers were invented to provide a "flat" frequency response. That is, when a signal consisting of specific intensities and specific frequencies was fed into the system, that's what came out of the speakers. The analogy here would be to calibrating a TV to provide an objectively accurate color rendition.

However, many listeners don't *like* a flat response and prefer boosted bass or treble just as some viewers prefer a TV image with significantly distorted color rendition. So, "optimum" settings depend hugely on the listener's preferences. My preferences won't likely match yours, so my optimum equalizer settings probably won't match yours, either.

- What's the source material? Nobody really listens to electronically-generated test tones while driving down the highway. Even for those of us who generally prefer flat equalization for most music, there are types of material that work better with other settings (for example, spoken material). I tend to use somewhat different settings for chamber music than I do for big orchestral works.

Ultimately, the "best" equalizer settings end up being a matter of opinion.
I can understand that a flat setting is ideally what we are looking for.....however, back a number of years ago (in the '90's) I have competed in stereo competitions.

During these competitions there were a number of goals and points to hit while at the show....technical abilities of stereo, etc. BUT no matter what the stereo, there was the ideal SQ setting for the car (essentially balanced and flat sound).....that is what I am trying to achieve without paying a guy to spend a couple of hours with equipment to configure the tuning for the optimal SQ settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #32
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep

Anyone with a good EQ setting that will make the sound a little richer and fuller for everyday driving and music enjoyment?

If I don't get any results on here, I will try out a few different settings from E85's or E92's
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #33
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Smile the language of emotions...

I think the topic here is how to get the best listening experience with the higher end BMW sound systems! Let me offer a few points related to this:

1) At low volumes the ear is less sensitive to especially the lowest frequencies of bass and also treble. With age the ability to hear the highest frequencies, ie 15khz+, actually disappears altogether. Ideally there would be a loudness function which increased the lowest frequencies and highest frequencies gradually at lower volumes. That is, if the the system had a flat frequency response from all directions to begin with. This is never the case in any car. And even if you could make it flat with an equalizer, the loudspeakers are placed too far from each other and too close the ears, and anyhow, the sound enviroment in a cabin changes all the time, even depending on your own clothing... In other words, unless something is really sticking out, and unless you often play at lower volumes, I would try and leave the equalizer alone. (Here I am assuming that what we need is a natural sound, and I know some may have preferences towards a fuller or brigter or whatever sound picture. In such cases I would recommend to try and copy some of the eq presets seen on mp3 players etc. )

2) In my Z4 I find the sound to be more balanced with the roof down. It seems to have been tuned to open top listening! With the roof up the reflections from the windows makes the treble a bit aggressive and the upper bass becomes too dominating in the small pressure chamber.

3) Some digital processors will distort the sound slightly when applying + gains. If gains of some frequencies are desired then try and leave those at 0 and set the other frequencies to negative (minus) gains instead. I haven't tested this on the logic7 sustem though...

4) Make sure that your loudspeakers are properly run in mechanically - especially if the car is new or the sound system hasn't been used for a long time. In my experience the sound becomes more smooth and dynamic after a "break-in" period. Just give the system at good exercise at say, 80% volume, for a few hours...

5) Turn the engine off or replace it with a smaller one to decrease the noise which covers dynamic contents of the music. Fortunately most pop and radio music has been compressed dynamically to a point where the dynamic content is close to 0dB (that means the difference between the singer screaming and whispering is adjusted to the same volume btw)

6) Remember that the social environment and visual aspects are almost as important as the music. So find a road with a nice view and add a passenger with a cold beer.

7) And now back to topic...

Last edited by Asbjorn; 06-15-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #34
sussexdan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 s35i

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Here is the best setup, I've ever been able to achieve:
(CD or iDrive HD music on)
Treble: Max
Bass: +3
Fader: -2
Surround: checked ON
Equalizer:
100HZ: Max
200HZ: +4
500HZ: -3
1KHZ: +1
2KHZ: -1
5KHZ: +5
10 KHZ: Max

I have to say that the above settings are great. Thank you for posting!

Let me know what you think guys and if you have a better setup. Tks!
I've been playing around with the setting for ages and by far, by putting in the settings above, the sound is better than ever. Not saying it's perfect, but then the 'upgraded' sound system is far from perfect. Thanks again. Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #35
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I have top of the line 14 speaker system in my Z4 and the above settings give too much bass - too boomy. Tone the bass down and the settings are improved. Also put fader to neutral is optimum.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Sorry, but in my opinion, everybody hears differently so how can you have any particular settings to appease the masses? For instance, I suffer from high frequency hearing loss due to years of loud noises. What I think sounds great sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to my wife. But I tend to agree, the speakers themselves are rather cheap in relation to the price of the car overall. I would personally like recommendations on speaker *upgrades* along with creative amplifier options that leave a small footprint, i.e. do not take up precious trunk space. Once I get quality speakers and requisite amplifier, I think my old ears can do the rest.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #37
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

hi guys! A simple question, I would like to use the slot between the two seats at the top for a speaker upgrade. I understand that this is used in the top spec sound system, but given I have bought my car second hand I did not have the option! I have asked before if BMW put the wiring loom in place for this to be added, if not has anyone done it and if yes how did you wire it in? Thank you!
ps I don't have great knowledge on sound systems but listen to lots of music, I would like to upgrade the speakers and would appreciate any help!!! I think I have the BMW Professional system with the CIC and single dvd disc player!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #38
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hey guys,

When I picked my car up the sales person claimed "his friend who works in the music industry recommended these settings"

treble +10
bass +3
2khz +3

Frankly, I haven't been impressed with the stereo in general (I'm not an audiophile) and I'm not convinced these settings are that great but wanted to share with the group on the basis of the sales person's claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

I do sound design, so I'm pretty sensitive to sound and these are the richest settings I have been able to achieve. Although I should say that the premium audio system is pretty terrible in the e89. My e85 had far better sound quality. Even on the default settings, some properly encoded tunes distort as if you have a torn speaker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #40
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

hey LAZ4, what are those settings in terms of button clicks? i.e. is that 10kHz maxed, or it is one away from max?

Thanks for posting, I can't wait to try your settings
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #41
laz4
Private
Rep

It's definitely not maxed out, but id have to check to be sure whether it's one or two clicks away from max.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laz4 View Post
It's definitely not maxed out, but id have to check to be sure whether it's one or two clicks away from max.
I tried to translate your settings into clicks from the midpoint based on the pics.. is this correct?

Treble: +5
Bass: +5
Fader: 0
Equalizer:
100HZ: +3
200HZ: +2
500HZ: +3
1KHZ: +4
2KHZ: +4
5KHZ: +5
10 KHZ: +6
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #43
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Ever heard the lyrics ...white people turn up the treble? Black people turn up the base?

Everyone is different when it comes to tonal balance.....what might be right for someone doesn't neccessarily mean will work for someone else...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #44
laz4
Private
Rep

The actual settings are as follows:

Treble: +8
Bass: +8
Fader: 0
Equalizer: