New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #45
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
I tried both the BeatsX and AirPods and have to say I have the exact opposite opinion.

The AirPods fit the same in my ear as the wired ones that come with every iPhone and those FIT like crap. They fall out and I can't ever get them positioned right for the best base/sound quality.

BeatsX on the other hand fit and SOUND the same as the wired URBeats - deep bass/good meds/crisp highs.

Opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one.......
Apple owns Beats, so I'm fine with that opinion too...but Beats are notoriously overpriced.

My $150 Audio Technica cans are a much better product than the Beats Studio, for example.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #46
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Put aside being the fastest argument and you're left with ease of use in a presentable package and you have the iPhone. I don't have Sonos but just from reading this thread it's obvious that people like it because it is easy. How many people do you think actually pay attention to how fast the iphone is? No, they buy it because it is simple to use and reliable (that's how their computers got started too).

People sacrifice all out features for convenience and ease of use. They don't care if it's not the best sounding speakers. As long as the product does what it promises to do it will sell. Even if Android phones are the fastest on the market right now, I'd still stick with iPhone because it does what I need it to do reliability. In car sense, you can have an M2 which is plenty fast. An M4 is more powerful and is technically faster but does anyone really care that much? Past a certain point you just care about the minium viable needs being satisfied. Just my 2 cents.
You're also assuming that the smoothness and speed of Apple's iOS are things people don't notice. They may not notice them directly, but people enjoy using the device because it works so well.

I'm not turning this into an Apple/Android discussion, but the whole package sells iPhone. Speakers are more of a commodity. If it sounds good, the speaker is good.

In the end, speakers basically move air. Size ultimately matters. Bose and Sonos want to sell you style and trick you into thinking it sounds as good as those "bulky" floorstanding speakers. Yes, they take up less space, but you get much less sound.

Again, the only reason to choose Sonos is if you absolutely need a wireless setup or somehow need to save space. Good speakers aren't small. Sonos certainly isn't cheap either.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #47
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
You won't get everything I have, so I won't go into a lot of detail. I consider my setup very average, with above average subs.

I run a 7.2 setup with 2 Power Sound Audio subs and Klipsch Reference RF7 Mains and Denon receiver.

Power Sound Audio makes some of the best Subs you can buy. Anything you've heard is probably not even in the same league as these beasts.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...led-subwoofers
Sounds like garbage, noob system to me. Very entry level. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #48
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Sounds like garbage, noob system to me. Very entry level. Just saying.
Then you're just trolling. I said my system is very average and my subs are some of the best you can buy. I have 2 of these...

Come listen and tell me it's a n00b setup. I'm not saying it's the best out there, but the gear is around $11,000.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s3000i

I know people get butthurt when they get told their Sonos speakers don't sound good, but they don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Then you're just trolling. I said my system is very average and my subs are some of the best you can buy. I have 2 of these...

Come listen and tell me it's a n00b setup. I'm not saying it's the best out there, but the gear is around $11,000.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s3000i

I know people get butthurt when they get told their Sonos speakers don't sound good, but they don't.
Interesting. Seems like a similar company to the now defunct AV123, but hopefully without all the shady drama. The product line does seem intriguing. Did you get the DSP processor with the subs?

I've stuck with Velodyne because I'm not about total output but more into accurate bass. Hence why I gravitated towards the servo system Velodyne uses. But if I were to consider going all out, this would probably be my next sub:

http://www.jlaudio.com/g213v2-gloss-...t_Product_Jump
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #50
EyeGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 17 nx200t, 23

If anyone is on a budget for a single bedroom or garage speaker system, you can get 2 bang and olufsen s3's for the price of a sonos play 1. They connect via Bluetooth but give stereo sound with the 2 connected.
Better sounding than sonos on the cheap.

Last edited by EyeGuy; 03-13-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #51
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Love my cheapo 5.1 in my office, love my sonos in the patio, love my polks in the living room, love my logitech pc speakers in the garage. Lucky I wasn't born with special ears.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

So I have to respond to the flip side of the elitist sound quality nazis out there which are the ones stating one has to have special, golden, audiophile ears to justify spending more on "higher" quality sound equipment. It's all about priorities and how much one cares to spend on achieving any perceivable improvements.

It's the same with why buy a BMW? A Yaris gets you to the same point as a BMW. A Yaris driver may also say they weren't born with a special butt and hands to perceive the differences in handling quality.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #53
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Ok, serious question for all audiophiles (which is why I ditched my expensive components for sonos, not trolling, not judging, everybody should have what works for them ):

Do you have whole house sound, same music or different everywhere you want it ?

&

Can EVERY member of your household work it without coming to you saying "I pressed some button f'd everything up and can't get sound to watch a movie"?
      03-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #54
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Wireless? No , Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #55
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Interesting. Seems like a similar company to the now defunct AV123, but hopefully without all the shady drama. The product line does seem intriguing. Did you get the DSP processor with the subs?

I've stuck with Velodyne because I'm not about total output but more into accurate bass. Hence why I gravitated towards the servo system Velodyne uses. But if I were to consider going all out, this would probably be my next sub:

http://www.jlaudio.com/g213v2-gloss-...t_Product_Jump
JL Audio make great stuff. I am not sure about the sub you sent, but it seems expensive. I'd like it compared to the $3000 PSA T18HT or even 2 of them for $6k.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...products/t18ht

Three, USA built, proprietary 18" drivers configured in a triangular array to eliminate reactive forces
4000W RMS / 8000W Peak amplifier with DSP - made in USA
Satin black texture cabinets - made in the USA
15Hz-200Hz +/-3dB (7Hz-11Hz typical in-room extension)
CEA-2010 RATINGS

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 121.7dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 135.7dB
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Ok, serious question for all audiophiles (which is why I ditched my expensive components for sonos, not trolling, not judging, everybody should have what works for them ):

Do you have whole house sound, same music or different everywhere you want it ?

&

Can EVERY member of your household work it without coming to you saying "I pressed some button f'd everything up and can't get sound to watch a movie"?
I used to call myself an audiophile until I got to rub shoulders with the fringe elements of the esoteric and no longer call myself as such. I'm just a person that has particular preferences in sound quality. I take in live performances and enjoy being in the moment and use this as reference as what I strive for in my home system.

With that said, my household is just starting out. My wife uses her iPhone to play music through the built in speaker around the house and outdoors. She doesn't care about me spending the time and money to have whole house audio installed. Our only child is just 2 so I don't have to worry about what she wants for now. As far as complexity in running a system, getting a good remote solves that problem. My wife, although tech savvy, doesn't like complex. The fact she can use the universal remote in the family room and our bedroom without issue says a lot about how the Logitech Harmony remotes operate. I having had a chance to finish programming the remote I bought for my dedicated sound room. I suspect when I'm finished programming it, the system will be just as easy to operate.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      03-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #57
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Love my cheapo 5.1 in my office, love my sonos in the patio, love my polks in the living room, love my logitech pc speakers in the garage. Lucky I wasn't born with special ears.
You've just never heard anything better....

Not like better speakers aren't better, particularly when it's true 7.1 or 5.1, not simulated with 2 5 pound speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #58
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
JL Audio make great stuff. I am not sure about the sub you sent, but it seems expensive. I'd like it compared to the $3000 PSA T18HT or even 2 of them for $6k.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/coll...products/t18ht

Three, USA built, proprietary 18" drivers configured in a triangular array to eliminate reactive forces
4000W RMS / 8000W Peak amplifier with DSP - made in USA
Satin black texture cabinets - made in the USA
15Hz-200Hz +/-3dB (7Hz-11Hz typical in-room extension)
CEA-2010 RATINGS

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 121.7dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 135.7dB
You're right the JL Audio Gotham is stupid expensive at $15,000 list. The sub has been well reviewed and so far has been placed up there as a reference for all subs to measure up against. I'd like to see the Power Sound subs reviewed by a professional reviewer that has also reviewed Velodyne DD series and the JL Gotham sub so I can compare measurement plots in the same listening environment. Particularly a full waterfall plot along with distortion measurements.

I run a Velodyne HGS15II and a DD18 in my critical listening system. I have the subs dialed in so well with my B&W speakers that they just disappear. Friends and family members who have listened to the system are amazed at the deep accurate...non intrusive nature of the subs. A friend of mine who used to work in an A/V boutique store commented on how well the system sounds. He said he knows the bass response of the system is due to the subs being there but he's amazed that you can't tell the subs are actually providing the additional bass performance. But the ultimate compliment on how well the system is dialed in is how those that are musicians have commented very positively about what they've heard.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #59
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have Bowers & Wilkins speakers and they are fantastic. But for some background music in the kitchen, or something portable that I can move around the house, the stuff that you plug into the fall and forget about it from Sonos is really nice to have around. I think the Play 1s are OK, didn't like the Play 3 at all, and the Play 5 is nice also.

I think using the Sonos Connect to a good amp and good speakers is a great choice; best of both worlds.
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2017, 12:42 AM   #60
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
You've just never heard anything better....

Not like better speakers aren't better, particularly when it's true 7.1 or 5.1, not simulated with 2 5 pound speakers.
I have. I have a friend who's like you and spends a fortune on audio equipment. He has a room dedicated to just listening to music. I've also been to... the movie theater.

Doesn't change the fact that all my speakers at home sound good enough for their purpose. Why would I want anything more than my old PC speakers in my garage where I just have music playing in the background over the noise of vacuum, tools etc. I don't need to hear the grain of the wood or whatever in my patio where I have the sonos for background music when we have a BBQ or something. We watch movies in the living room so I have the better setup there because I care a little more. The 5.1 in my office is basically just for gaming.

But hey I would also take the steak at my local Mexican joint with rice, beans and an enchilada for $12 over a $50 dry aged steak any day... and yes I've had both.

If audio stuff is your "thing" then cool, by all means buy the best shit you can get. However I see no reason to come on here to just to shit on someone else's setup.
Appreciate 4
metrickid3030.00
Violator4587.50
wrickem2101.00
      03-14-2017, 03:29 AM   #61
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

How much did you spend on those speakers?

I personally wouldnt go with surround sound, I like a 2.1 setup a lot more. If I had 3k to spend, Id probably go with these, than again.. there are a lot of good stuff at that price, so Id definitely audition a lot of stuff.
https://www.magnoliaav.com/shop/audi...-White-8441081

I currently run a custom active Scanspeak system in my car and am in the process of designing a Scanspeak system for my house. Beryllium tweets, 4" illuminator mids, 2 7" Revelator mid basses, per side. Just had Madisound design the crossovers. I guess I fall under the "audiophile" label, I am extremely picky with how my music sounds and very rarely listen to MP3s.. I get everything in either wav or FLAC.

How music sounds is very subjective tho, if it sounds good to you, thats all that matters.
      03-14-2017, 03:33 AM   #62
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i hear harmon kardon makes some great speakers lolol
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #63
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Currently running 7.2.4 Atmos in my HT build and don't consider myself a hardcore audiophile but from all the demos i've heard and listening to all my friends high end setups you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to have good quality sound. what i think sounds good to me probably doesn't sound good to you. everyone hears things differently so really only that individual can decide what sounds good to them. as far as Sonos i'm not that much impressed other than the fact it's easy to setup. when the wife wants to clean the house or cook and wants something to jam to i have 2.0 bookshelf speakers that she can blutooth her phone to and easily play music.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #64
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have. I have a friend who's like you and spends a fortune on audio equipment. He has a room dedicated to just listening to music. I've also been to... the movie theater.

Doesn't change the fact that all my speakers at home sound good enough for their purpose. Why would I want anything more than my old PC speakers in my garage where I just have music playing in the background over the noise of vacuum, tools etc. I don't need to hear the grain of the wood or whatever in my patio where I have the sonos for background music when we have a BBQ or something. We watch movies in the living room so I have the better setup there because I care a little more. The 5.1 in my office is basically just for gaming.

But hey I would also take the steak at my local Mexican joint with rice, beans and an enchilada for $12 over a $50 dry aged steak any day... and yes I've had both.

If audio stuff is your "thing" then cool, by all means buy the best shit you can get. However I see no reason to come on here to just to shit on someone else's setup.
I'll only comment about this. I have yet to go to a movie theater where I came out and said wow the sound was amazing. More times than not, my ears hurt due to the distortion and the shear volume. I don't understand why people think louder is better all the time.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #65
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'll only comment about this. I have yet to go to a movie theater where I came out and said wow the sound was amazing. More times than not, my ears hurt due to the distortion and the shear volume. I don't understand why people think louder is better all the time.
funny you say that as my wife right after we walked out of the movie theater will tell me the movie was good but if we watched it at home in the HT would have sounded better!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
      03-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #66
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
I'll only comment about this. I have yet to go to a movie theater where I came out and said wow the sound was amazing. More times than not, my ears hurt due to the distortion and the shear volume. I don't understand why people think louder is better all the time
Quote:
funny you say that as my wife right after we walked out of the movie theater will tell me the movie was good but if we watched it at home in the HT would have sounded better!
Amen. My GF hates the fact that I can't stand going to the movies for these reasons. I'd rather wait till I can't get it in HD and watch it at home on my plasma with my surround system.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50