New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Gentleman Jack

Grabbed a bottle this past weekend. Not bad at all. Very smooth and rich. Not too pricey either, especially after splurging on high end scotch recently.
Attached Images

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Interesting, I'll have to give this a shot. I've recently started to dabble in whiskeys, last I had was Crown and Crown Green Apple.

Prior to that, my cousins husband was making me take shots of Henn...., can't say I'm too fond of that one just yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #3
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I may have to try that out. I'm not a big fan of regular Jack so I've never bothered considering Gentleman Jack. Jack is ok mixed with Coke but not drinking it straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Anyone have the real Absinthe before?

I've got a bottle in my kitchen but every time I try to drink some the licorice taste and smell is too much for me. I can only get a couple sips in there before I want to puke it all up.

Sugar ain't cutting it for me
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

I tried Gentlemen Jack, it was good but i still like the original much better.
      01-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post

I've got a bottle in my kitchen but every time I try to drink some the licorice taste and smell is too much for me. I can only get a couple sips in there before I want to puke it all up.

Once but I like licorice so I didn't have that problem. Try shaking or pouring over ice to take the tone down a little bit and if that doesn't work then mix it with Dr. Pepper. An abomination but better than having a full bottle forever.

As for Gentleman Jack, it is very good stuff but Four Roses is better IMO, and only about 4 bucks more per bottle.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I'll be honest... at $30-40 price level... Maker's wins for me everytime.
      01-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Gentleman Jack's definitely worth a try. Not my favorite whiskey, but very good nonetheless. I'm a big fan of Single Barrel. Nothing like pouring a glass, throwing in three cubes, and sipping on it throughout the evening.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:

water it down. thats what you are supposed to do with real absinthe anyway. its not meant to drink straight up
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3
Quote:

water it down. thats what you are supposed to do with real absinthe anyway. its not meant to drink straight up
Word

I've tried pouring cold water over the sugar cube, more water, melted sugar. Still too strong.

But I'll try a heavy water mix and dr pepper if I have to. Then I'll just get creative
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
As for Gentleman Jack, it is very good stuff but Four Roses is better IMO, and only about 4 bucks more per bottle.
+1

Four Roses is much better (I've got a bottle of single barrel right now). I'm also a big fan of Basil Hayden's which is also in that price range. It's probably my favorite right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Word

I've tried pouring cold water over the sugar cube, more water, melted sugar. Still too strong.

But I'll try a heavy water mix and dr pepper if I have to. Then I'll just get creative

Are you doing it proper though? I mean, you'll still taste a lot of licorice, but at least give it a little respect.

If you don't have an absinthe spoon (and I did not either, nor do I have one now), use a fork. Put the fork over the glass and put the sugar cube on the fork. Then pour the absinthe over the sugar cube.

Using a lighter, light the cube on fire (can be underneath the fork, but it should catch either way). Then once its dying out, you can drop it in the absinthe. You might have to blow out the absinthe if it catches...and I think it did a couple times for me...that might actually be good for you, might take away some of the smell.

See if that's any better if you haven't done that already.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

GJ is tasty enough, but I still lean toward single malts. I have a Dalmore 12 waiting in the wings. That's become my normal bottle with the occasional Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask thrown into the mix. Both of those are double the price of GJ, though. Still, the GJ makes an nice change.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
deeLow
DOPE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr
Quote:
Word

Are you doing it proper though? I mean, you'll still taste a lot of licorice, but at least give it a little respect.

If you don't have an absinthe spoon (and I did not either, nor do I have one now), use a fork. Put the fork over the glass and put the sugar cube on the fork. Then pour the absinthe over the sugar cube.

Using a lighter, light the cube on fire (can be underneath the fork, but it should catch either way). Then once its dying out, you can drop it in the absinthe. You might have to blow out the absinthe if it catches...and I think it did a couple times for me...that might actually be good for you, might take away some of the smell.

See if that's any better if you haven't done that already.
I've got a spoon cause my bottle came with one.

Everywhere I looked and on the bottle itself it says pour cold water over the cube into the absinthe so that's what I do. I'll try the absinthe over the cube into a glass first, light the cube until it melts, and then add some water to chill it.

All I know is you're supposed to get the white cloudy mixture and I've gotten that every time. We'll see this weekend
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #15
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Let me know!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #16
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Give me your address and I'll send you my bottle that only has a few sips out of it. I really couldn't stand it, and it has frightened me away from trying the honey stuff too. I buy regular Jack (or get it as a gift) in the 1.75l size to go in my diet coke.

Aberlour A'bundgah (can never spell that) is still my go-to. I got a bottle of that as well for Christmas from the yoga instructor who I got onto the interwebs by starting a website for her.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Give me your address and I'll send you my bottle that only has a few sips out of it. I really couldn't stand it, and it has frightened me away from trying the honey stuff too. I buy regular Jack (or get it as a gift) in the 1.75l size to go in my diet coke.

Aberlour A'bundgah (can never spell that) is still my go-to. I got a bottle of that as well for Christmas from the yoga instructor who I got onto the interwebs by starting a website for her.
My sister gave me a Glen Moray box set with glasses for Christmas. I'm not too impressed with it. I should have known when she asked what I was drinking that she'd get me a bottle. But buying "Scotch" is like buying "white wine," the variations are enormous. But I'll keep the Glen Moray for mixing when the weather warms up.

I tried a bottle of Aberlour a few weeks ago. It was pretty good.

I doubt I'll get another bottle of GJ when this one is gone. It's good, but there are other things to try. Maybe I'll give Four Roses a try.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #18
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List

My mini bar. GJ (need a new bottle) and Balvenie 12 for daily use, and JW Blue for the right occasion.
      01-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #19
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
GJ is tasty enough, but I still lean toward single malts. I have a Dalmore 12 waiting in the wings. That's become my normal bottle with the occasional Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask thrown into the mix. Both of those are double the price of GJ, though. Still, the GJ makes an nice change.
GJ is good, but why not go for single barrel? Perfect on the rocks. And if u really luv jack(which i doo) try to find single barrel silver select. 100proof and the smoothest drink u may ever have. Prob is its not sold direct in US, u have to get it in europe at duty free or order online from UK, but its worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

80 proof scares me any more. I get used to the Aberlour (lowest I've had was 132) and then I go back to 80 and wonder why I don't get a buzz. Plus when I pour for others, I pour like I know its 80 and I'm used to 130+, but they aren't. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I've tried most whiskeys and while I enjoy most of them honestly, when I drink, I couldn't give 2 shits if its GJ, regular jack, makers, crown, whatever. Especially after a drink or two, thats when I go from the glenlivet to the dewars.

I buy and try different stuff more as a hobby than anything else. But honestly if you blind folded me and told me to pick the blue label from the black label from the whatever I'd be hard pressed to do so. That being said the constants in my bar are glenlivet or black label, regular jack and typically woodford reserve though I sometimes switch it up for other bourbons.

Anyways pic of bar for good measure. Stocked pretty well after all the holiday gifts.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #22
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Yellow Tail Merlot. I like it.

Blind taste test a Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask and a Laphroaig. I guarantee the difference will be obvious. And they're both top shelf quaffs. One is smooth and slightly sweet and the other is runoff from a barn fire.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0