New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Future BMW i vehicles need to be Kick-Ass but more practical in usability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
2020? Wow, what a long gestation period!
BMW should have called the i3 the "i2", and should have made a 4-door similar to the 3 Series and called it the i3 but now it would have to be renamed the "i4" that is the car that should have been designed from the beginning, and then the "Prius" Econo-box city design rollout after that. The i3's tech is amazing and it drives great for what it is, besides for the mail box stubbed nose exterior design.

BMW i needs to make the next i car a 3 Series sized vehicle. So more people will want it and most importantly can afford it. Similar to Tesla's sexy Model S & Model X, and dare I say it the Chevy Volt.

Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 04-13-2015 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface
2020? Wow, what a long gestation period!
BMW should have called the i3 the "i2", and should have made a 4-door similar to the 3 Series and called it the i3 but now it would have to be renamed the "i4" that is the car that should have been designed from the beginning, and then the Econo-box city design rollout after that. The i3 drives great for what it is, besides for the mail box stubbed nose exterior design.

BMW i needs to make the next i car a 3 Series sized vehicle. So more people will want it and most importantly can afford it.
Funny how many complain of the i3 size, I find it has more interior space than that of our Audi Q5, which is based off an A4. Theirs no need for a big hood as theirs no engine.
And the only real thing that could have been bigger but would have made it look to have a heavy butt is more trunk space.

But otherwise it's big enough for what it was designed for. I think even BMW said it's got the same Interior space of a 3 series. But the footprint of a 1 series. (Probably not talking trunk space ).

Probably sacrificed trunk space for the occupant space. But then again don't haul things around and what's their is big enough for what I get on a daily basis if need be.

What do you mean "econo box" I find it nothing of the sort.... And I'm a designer !
Everything is designed for a purpose (short overhangs and great turning radius for city driving) try and maneuver a 3 series in a congested city as easy as an i3 ..... Not happening.... and a few things are probably for show like the doors but when getting in and out of the car in the back I love the fact their are no B pillars getting in the way. Hell when I had a 5 series I always hit the b pillar getting in and out of the front S it was to far forward. Theirs so much to like about it but it seems like everyone is so scared to try something different it's a shame really. The car is a design statement through and Funny how many complain of the i3 size, I find it has more interior space than that of our Audi Q5, which is based off an A4. Theirs no need for a big hood as theirs no engine.
And the only real thing that could have been bigger but would have made it look to have a heavy butt is more trunk space.

But otherwise it's big enough for what it was designed for. I think even BMW said it's got the same Interior space of a 3 series. But the footprint of a 1 series. (Probably not talking trunk space ).

Probably sacrificed trunk space for the occupant space. But then again don't haul things around and what's their is big enough for what I get on a daily basis if need be. through just like the first mini was back in 02 and the car has lost its way with every iteration because they are making it fit a more widely accepted audience just like I fear the i3 and i8 will do.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #25
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Hopefully the EV tax subsidies will end so I don't have to help make cars like this viable. Time to take the EV training wheels off and let them survive (or fail) on their own.
      04-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #26
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

i3's lack of Sporty Luxury and the lame exterior design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG
BMW should have called the i3 the "i2", and should have made a 4-door similar to the 3 Series and called it the i3 but now it would have to be renamed the "i4" that is the car that should have been designed from the beginning, and then the Econo-box city design rollout after that. The i3 drives great for what it is, besides for the mail box stubbed nose exterior design.

BMW i needs to make the next i car a 3 Series sized vehicle. So more people will want it and most importantly can afford it. Similar to Tesla's sexy Model S & Model X, and dare I say it the Chevy Volt.

Funny how many complain of the i3 size, I find it has more interior space than that of our Audi Q5, which is based off an A4. Theirs no need for a big hood as theirs no engine.

Probably sacrificed trunk space for the occupant space. But then again don't haul things around and what's their is big enough for what I get on a daily basis if need be.

No real complaints regarding the i3's cabin space again for what it is. The i3's tech is amazing and it drives great! Their is just a shear lack of Sporty Luxury and the lame exterior design. You know the "The Ultimate Driving Machine" montra.
Attached Images

Last edited by DCG; 04-13-2015 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #27
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Scott, I think BMW should employ an italian as main designer. Honestly, I don't like what I see, even if it is a sketch.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #28
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

These sketches are not representative of the final model but to show potential door apertures for evaluation. Seeing some of the ideas that are being worked on for the four door remind me of the original Vision EfficientDynamics Concept car with its stretched wheel base and useable rear seats. That's the packaging plan that will be featured but the brief is again to the make the car stand out so it is highly distinguishable from any other BMW sedan.
As I mentioned earlier it will feature within two stages of concept just like the original BMW i8 but it won't be on the market till 2020.
Attached Images

04-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #29
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
These sketches are not representative of the final model but to show potential door apertures for evaluation.
Doors are really the least important. Having scissor doors on a saloon seems a bit over the top. But I take back my comment about the sketch. With some tweaking, the sketches can look great. For example lifting the rear arches a lot, to connect to the sloping back, a bit like the f-type, now that looks nice. Dont you think?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #30
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb Future BMW i vehicles need to be more practical and usable for everyday.

A longer 4-seater BMW i8, lets call it an "i9" that won't be on the market untill 2020. An i9 sounds and looks cool, but BMW i needs to make the next i car a 3 Series sized vehicle. So more people will want it and most importantly can afford it. Similar to Tesla's sexy Model S & Model X vehicles! And I am not talking about the existing i3 "Prius" Econo-box city design.

Future BMW i vehicles need to be Kick-Ass but more practical and usable for everyday, and that does NOT mean they have to look fugly in the process.

And as a designer I hate the word "practical" with a pashion! But sometimes it just makes basic sense.

Last edited by DCG; 04-13-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #31
professor_yo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I don't care what anyone says..regardless of styling queues, or whatever... That concept looks badass!!! And considering the paint job they gave the i3 & i8; BMW doing something similar with this model, it will take them completely away from any thought of "Audi styling". It will be distinctively BMW i.

Sometimes, we "critics" get too absolved in having to find something wrong with any given thing. But if you just sit back and allow yourself to be impressed, life would be so much easier. New things, such as new car models, etc. would be so much more relevant. Off our high horses people. Again, this concept is BADASS!!!! hope it goes all the way through.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Looks good. But no B-pillar will make it difficult to reach the same torsional rigidity w/o adding a glob of dead weight. Promising concept, let's see more of this.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #33
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Wonder how similar it will be to Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #34
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Wonder how similar it will be to Tesla?
Hopefully similar in terms of range. By 2020, I would want 300+ miles of range on one charge out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #35
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Car not coming out until 5 years and already got haters
      04-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #36
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Ah, a BMW Volt in 2020. LOL.
+1 and it will prob have like 35 miles range electric. Stop lagging behind bmw mercedes GM etc, Tesla has paved the way, try to keep up
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #37
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Bmw i is the only bmw's I see myself getting in the future. The i8 as soon as they replace the cheap plastics inside and the i3 in 2016 when i move to Lisbon. I think this new model will be a good addition but a Z i model would make sense too.
As for the rest of the lineup going fwd eps heavy weights crapy interiors (upcoming 7 even a merc c class seems to have it covered) I see porsche in a better position to call it self "the ultimate driving machine).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #38
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup
No hating going on here. Their just needs some more balance in the new i lineup. I will say this I love the i8, but I have not seen the i8 in person, nor have I sat in it or driven it. But I did test drive the i3 for a good hour, and thoroughly gave it a good looking over. The tech and drive is amazing.

But a Econo-box and an semi exotic, their needs some more diversity in the lineup something in-between. Not just an over priced 4-seater i8 Grand Coupe in a whopping 5 years time.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan///M
it looks like a Fu-ed up Audi A7. BMW making this dumbass cars. where's the damn supercar BMW!? where are the supercars!? you already have the goddamn i8 & the i3, for plug-in hybrids. we don't need to see no more fraking plug-in hybrids.
Someone needs to relax... Wow. No need to have a conniption.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #40
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Doors are really the least important. Having scissor doors on a saloon seems a bit over the top. But I take back my comment about the sketch. With some tweaking, the sketches can look great. For example lifting the rear arches a lot, to connect to the sloping back, a bit like the f-type, now that looks nice. Dont you think?

The new f-type is amazing, I love it. It's honestly the only "newish" car I'd care to own (do they make it with a stick though?). Hopefully it will depreciate in value as badly as most Jags, and I can get one used in 3-4 years.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #41
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
This just made me realize 2020 is less than 5 years away...it feels like such a futuristic date. I think I'm getting old
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #42
nicholls_dean
Rep
Drives: Mazda6 2.2d TS 5Dr hatch

Say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Hopefully similar in terms of range. By 2020, I would want 300+ miles of range on one charge out of this car.
Apologies Sir, but you appear to not have a single clue about battery technology, the reason cars like Tesla have a range of +200 miles, is due to the fact that they have huge amounts of batteries in them, so much so that they are pushing nearly 3 tonne in weight, this has an inherent effect on the way a car handles, the Tesla will never be as balanced or poised as the i8 and never as fun to drive, the you try getting 300 miles out of a 7kWh battery... you won't, you do not get the concept of e-Drive in BMW's, therefore you will never appreciate the technology.

The i8 weighs around half the weight of the Tesla.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #43
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls_dean View Post
Apologies Sir, but you appear to not have a single clue about battery technology, the reason cars like Tesla have a range of +200 miles, is due to the fact that they have huge amounts of batteries in them, so much so that they are pushing nearly 3 tonne in weight, this has an inherent effect on the way a car handles, the Tesla will never be as balanced or poised as the i8 and never as fun to drive, the you try getting 300 miles out of a 7kWh battery... you won't, you do not get the concept of e-Drive in BMW's, therefore you will never appreciate the technology.

The i8 weighs around half the weight of the Tesla.
Yes and the i5 will follow the same philosophy in our expertise in using lightweight technology to mark a significant presence in that segment. As the i3 and i8 continue to do.
Attached Images

04-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #44
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan///M View Post
it looks like a Fu-ed up Audi A7. BMW making this dumbass cars. where's the damn supercar BMW!? where are the supercars!? you already have the goddamn i8 & the i3, for plug-in hybrids. we don't need to see no more fraking plug-in hybrids.
Are you 16 years old?
Appreciate 0