New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Required brake clearance?

I've just fit the 17" moda R1 wheels I used as winter wheels on my old Z4 onto my new 35is.

They do fit, and there's no place where the brake caliper touches the inside of the wheel. The front wheels turn freely. It's close, though - maybe 3/16" or 5mm. The clearance is definitely less than with the wheels from the 19" wheel package.

Can anyone tell me what the required minimum clearance is between brake caliper and wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
My stock wheels gave me about a 5/8" radial clearance with my 19" summer wheels. The clearance now with my winter 18" wheels is approximately 5/8" radial clearance (as close as I could measure it).

As you most likely know, to get your actual clearance you can measure the inside bore diameter your stock summer wheel, subtract the inside bore of your winter inside wheel bore and divide by 2. That should give you very close to what reduction of clearance you can expect.

I don't know what a safe clearance would be, I would expect 1/4" would be safe, however, don't take my word for it do check with your friendly BMW service manager or a reliable tire / brake shop.

some more references for you here ... (or google it).

CLICK

or

CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-09-2011 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
As long as there is no rubbing you are good to go. If you here a grinding noise you likely picked up a small stone between your caliper and wheel. Other than that you won't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

word.

if it doesnt rub your fine. on my audi, i think i had like 1mm of clearance between my wheels and bembos.
      01-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, all.

I just saved $2,800 by reusing the old, perfectly good, 17" winter alloys I'd been using on my e85 and keeping the extremely good Nokian Hakkapeliitta R snow tires on them versus the winter wheel and tire package with inferior Blizzak LM-25's that my dealer insisted was the only thing that would fit.

I'm quite curious that no TPMS alert has gone off, since these 7 year-old wheels don't have TPMS sensors in them. I've even checked the vehicle status in iDrive which claims that TPMS is working just fine. This certainly doesn't inspire great confidence in the TPMS, but since I don't rely on it for maintaining proper pressures, I just saved several hundred more by not installing sensors as I'd earlier planned.

Yeah, I realize I would have saved far more by simply not getting a 35iS loaded to the gills, but this still means more money for other mods!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
Thanks, all.

I just saved $2,800 by reusing the old, perfectly good, 17" winter alloys I'd been using on my e85 and keeping the extremely good Nokian Hakkapeliitta R snow tires on them versus the winter wheel and tire package with inferior Blizzak LM-25's that my dealer insisted was the only thing that would fit.

I'm quite curious that no TPMS alert has gone off, since these 7 year-old wheels don't have TPMS sensors in them. I've even checked the vehicle status in iDrive which claims that TPMS is working just fine. This certainly doesn't inspire great confidence in the TPMS, but since I don't rely on it for maintaining proper pressures, I just saved several hundred more by not installing sensors as I'd earlier planned.

Yeah, I realize I would have saved far more by simply not getting a 35iS loaded to the gills, but this still means more money for other mods!
If you park the vehicle near the wheels/tire with the TPMS the car will "think" they are still mounted. However if you drive for 45-60 minutes the TPMS light will trigger. It will reset once it is parked near the TPMS tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
If you park the vehicle near the wheels/tire with the TPMS the car will "think" they are still mounted. However if you drive for 45-60 minutes the TPMS light will trigger. It will reset once it is parked near the TPMS tires.
The wheels with TPMS are in a different town. That's probably far enough to lose the link.
Appreciate 0