New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

12-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Laguna Seca Blue in metallic?

I don't know how blasphemous this idea is, but has anyone seen one or heard of one being done?

LSB is already a very dynamic color as it changes shade depending on lighting conditions, here I am wondering if it would be even better if it was painted as a metallic and become even more dynamic.

Yeah it's late, and I can't sleep, and my head are going to odd places.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
yeah, its called YMB
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'm not sure exactly how you were planning to proceed, but I don't think you can ask BMW to literally make a non-metallic color metallic. I suspect that each metallic color is mixed with different types of metal particles tailored specifically to the exact shade and possibly depending on what specific types of pigments are used to formulate it. In other words it would probably require some development to come up with a metallic version of LSB. That said, for the right amount of money, it might be possible.

It seems to me, though, what might make more sense would be to find a existing metallic medium blue with a mild greenish tint similar to LSB. Have you looked at Atlantis Blue or Long Beach Blue for example? Those may be similar to the look you are after. If not, there are other blues out there, including from any manufacturer, that could perhaps satisfy your tastes.

Also, any color will change in different lighting since, by definition, color is determined by what the eye sees when light bounces off a surface. Different light produces different results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
yeah, its called YMB
YMB is really a very light baby blue. Side-by-side, it does not look much like LSB. It is both too light and missing the slight green slant that LSB has.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
yeah, its called YMB
That's much too light for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm not sure exactly how you were planning to proceed, but I don't think you can ask BMW to literally make a non-metallic color metallic. I suspect that each metallic color is mixed with different types of metal particles tailored specifically to the exact shade and possibly depending on what specific types of pigments are used to formulate it. In other words it would probably require some development to come up with a metallic version of LSB. That said, for the right amount of money, it might be possible.

It seems to me, though, what might make more sense would be to find a existing metallic medium blue with a mild greenish tint similar to LSB. Have you looked at Atlantis Blue or Long Beach Blue for example? Those may be similar to the look you are after. If not, there are other blues out there, including from any manufacturer, that could perhaps satisfy your tastes.

Also, any color will change in different lighting since, by definition, color is determined by what the eye sees when light bounces off a surface. Different light produces different results.

I'm not really looking to order a car with that color per say, just kind of a thought exercise because I couldn't fall asleep.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
YMB is really a very light baby blue. Side-by-side, it does not look much like LSB. It is both too light and missing the slight green slant that LSB has.
I've never seen them side by side, just in photos, which never really show what YMB looks like accurately
Appreciate 0