New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
new job offer, but based on contingency of background check

It's been approx. four years since I've looked for a job that I forget the ropes. Story:

I applied for a regional senior management position of clinical finance at a well-known cancer research institute on a Friday evening. Surprisingly (and I mean that given the state of unemployment and the economy) the Tuesday directly after, I received a call for a brief phone interview of my background and they said they would get back with me. Two weeks later, I received an interview. The interview process consisted of three interviews, one screening interview with HR, one with VP & Executive Director, and then one with Associate Director (who curiously, I don't report to, but she was wonderful to meet with regardless), all within a 2 month time span.

I finally got the call last Friday that I should be expecting an offer by Tuesday morning. Monday afternoon rolls around and I received a call. I reviewed the entire salary/benefits package, liked the majority of it, but decided to counteroffer the salary. Tuesday afternoon, I get a callback with their counteroffer, and I accepted. HR emails me the documents to sign, however, it says based on contingency. I had to ask one of the managers in another department where I work who I know very well as we worked on various projects together, because I didn't want to approach my manager (for obvious reasons). Apparently, my current employer does the same thing, however, I don't remember because I was so excited for the position after just finishing up some school work.

Has anyone received an offer like this? Is this a industry standard?

My worry is that I have speeding tickets (6 municipal), 1 careless driving (reckless reduced to careless due to an accident and pleading guilty), 1 exhibition driving (loud exhaust). However, my last traffic violation stemmed from 2006. In 2008, I did receive a non-moving violation for failing to put on my new tags, but that doesn't appear on my DMV records. All of this is in the state of South Dakota. I moved to FL in 2010 and my record has been 100% clean since.

This position does require extensive travel, as it is a regional position, so I'll be driving approx 300-400miles/week (in the M3 nonetheless, so at least it wont be a boring drive).

Should I be worried that I fail the background check? It's a killer position, and I'd hate to lose it because I felt I was a good fit for at least 95% of the items listed on my duties.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Unless your job depends on you driving a company vehicle than traffic ticket are usually are not an issue. Also ticket usually drop off your record after some period of time, this varies by state. Most companies are looking for arrests not traffic tickets. Did you provide them any information about where lived for the past 10 yrs, if not they most likely will only check FL, but most background check system today know every place you live. I have not lived in CA for almost 20 yrs now and is still showed up that I lived out there.

Also the fact that the company gave you an offer helps since some companies will not do that until they do the background check or at least a simple one. If they do find these tickets they most likely will give you a chance to explain. But form the looks of your record is not bad.

Last edited by Maestro; 04-16-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Motor vehicle violations will not keep them from hiring you. Nothing to worry about.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post

My worry is that I have speeding tickets (6 municipal), 1 careless driving (reckless reduced to careless due to an accident and pleading guilty), 1 exhibition driving (loud exhaust). However, my last traffic violation stemmed from 2006.
Well, at least you grew up.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Motor vehicle violations will not keep them from hiring you. Nothing to worry about.
Highly untrue. If this job requires extensive travel it will be a big reason they will not wish to hire you.

That being said, a traffic violation from 4 years ago should be no worries.

Also congrats!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Mate, I highly doubt you'll get dinged for that. On the contrary, they'll be excited to see you'll get to your appointments as fast as possible!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Thanks guys, I guess I'll find out in a couple days.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Mate, I highly doubt you'll get dinged for that. On the contrary, they'll be excited to see you'll get to your appointments as fast as possible!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I had that happen here. I was offered my current job contingent on passing a background check. I had a job already, so I told them I'd wait for the check to be completed rather than start on a contingency basis. Because of a weird issue I have with some scumbag in California with my exact name and birthday, I knew it would take a while. It took almost 6 weeks. Plus I had to give them fingerprints so they could be sure I wasn't the lowlife from California.

In your case I wouldn't think the old tickets would matter. Or that they'd even see them. Most likely they are looking for felonies.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Unless one of your duties is going to be driving to deliver pizzas I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #11
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

All companies now issue what is called a "conditional offer letter". It is just what it sounds like, conditional on your record checking out. The only time driving record is considered is if you if you are going to be using or issued a company vehicle, or driving for them. They will most likely not even do a drivers license check. They will perform a social security verification, credit check and criminal history (7 years misdeameanor, no time limit on felonies). Violations results are not even returned or maintained.

I just concluded a human resources audit last week so this is all still fresh in my head.

You are fine.

Last edited by Vic311; 04-16-2014 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Thanks Vic, being that you finished an Audit, that gives me assurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Thanks Vic, being that you finished an Audit, that gives me assurance.
No problem. It never hurts to be cautious, but I'm certain you're in the clear.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Here's the real question, do you have to notify your current employer, or can you do that after the background check? My current position required a background check, and I requested confirmation that it was ok, before quitting the old job.

A lot of the current mentality is, if you don't have anything to hide, why are you making such a big deal about it? Well, it's because your income is riding on it. But again, with employment at will, the potential employer can say I don't like the fact that you're uncomfortable with a background check and we're moving on to another candidate.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
All companies now issue what is called a "conditional offer letter". It is just what it sounds like, conditional on your record checking out. The only time driving record is considered is if you if you are going to be using or issued a company vehicle, or driving for them. They will most likely not even do a drivers license check. They will perform a social security verification, credit check and criminal history (7 years misdeameanor, no time limit on felonies). Violations results are not even returned or maintained.

I just concluded a human resources audit last week so this is all still fresh in my head.

You are fine.
You would be surprised--if you are in the financial industry, driving violations do show up, from my wife's experience. She started with a group and 4 individuals were pulled out of the group and made to sit 8 hrs./day doing nothing, while the rest were in training. Even though ultimately 3/4 moved on, they were weeks behind and felt humiliated. One was asked to leave.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Here's the real question, do you have to notify your current employer, or can you do that after the background check? My current position required a background check, and I requested confirmation that it was ok, before quitting the old job.

A lot of the current mentality is, if you don't have anything to hide, why are you making such a big deal about it? Well, it's because your income is riding on it. But again, with employment at will, the potential employer can say I don't like the fact that you're uncomfortable with a background check and we're moving on to another candidate.
Even though employment is “at will” every company still must comply with EEO, Equal employment opportunity regulations. The company could open themselves to serious liability with an allegation of discrimination if they choose to summarily pass on a candidate just because they were uncomfortable with a background check.

Candidates are fairly well protected by the law and employers know this. Any time an adverse finding is returned in a criminal check the candidate must be notified by letter with all the details to give them the opportunity to dispute it. Employers must follow strict protocol and confidentiality.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #17
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
You would be surprised--if you are in the financial industry, driving violations do show up, from my wife's experience. She started with a group and 4 individuals were pulled out of the group and made to sit 8 hrs./day doing nothing, while the rest were in training. Even though ultimately 3/4 moved on, they were weeks behind and felt humiliated. One was asked to leave.
Yes correct. I have consulted for AIG and Deutsche and they do perform driver license checks. Not sure why the Financial Services industry takes it the extra step. But the majority of companies don’t perform a DL check unless there is a specific need to check that based on the position
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
SpineDoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 750 Li

Are all of your violations simple traffic citations or do you have any misdemeanors on your record? Speeding can be a misdemeanor if it's excessive, although this is pretty rare. Reckless driving, DUI - these are classic examples of misdemeanors or even felony violations.

Traffic citations are a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
they are simply traffic citations (infractions, last one was 2005 or 06, I forget), one careless driving (2006), one exhibition driving (2004). I actually just reviewed the DMVR documentation, they don't consider anythig tickets greater than 3 years, and any criminal offense from traffic violations greater than 5 years(reckless driving).

I do no have a criminal background, I'm not worried about that portion.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Stop Posting Here Right Away, They Gonna Find You !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Just to put this out there in case this might help someone going after a different job position, your driving record does matter when it comes to Federal security cleared jobs. The rationale is to get an overall picture of the person and their propensity/ability to follow rules. If you have an excessive number of tickets, this can affect your ability to get or maintain a Federal security clearance. The assumption the adjudicator is going to make is you can't follow the rules or you won't follow rules.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Yes this is normal, well for me anyway. It all depends on the position and the field. If your job requires a government clearance, then it's standard procedure (they also pull your credit, which is the number one reason people are denied clearance).

I work in finance so it's also standard procedure to pull your criminal record as well as your credit report. Since you work with confidential information (particularly if the company is public), your credit report is a decent indicator if you'll break the law in order to make money. With the government, they're concerned if you'll sell government secrets for money. In addition to those factors, it's also a good indicator of how responsible you are.

They'll also pull it just to make sure you don't have any felonies on your record, which would typically eliminate you from contention for the position. If you have a history of driving infractions, you should be ok, unless as stated, you'll be driving company vehicles on a frequent basis as you'd be a liability risk.

That said, congrats on the offer. I'd imagine you'll be fine as far as the background goes. It sounds like you'll be responsible for arranging your own travel so your driving record shouldn't be a big deal, nobody's perfect after all.
Appreciate 0