New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlai View Post
Thanks for you reply. I have disconnected the pipe and acutator and capped them. Do you think I should also secure the push rod as well like some friend up in the thread above did? I notice the spring of the acutator is very strong in keeping the flap open, but in case the flay may still move during spirit drive on very bumpy road.
I made a change to secure the actuator arm, but this was to help it stay closed not open. You need only to cap/block the vacuum pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
z4s4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Exhaust flap fix

I am a new Z4 owner with a 2011 35is that has over 70K on it. The first thing I found on the cold start was this terrible rattle from the right rear. This forced me to design a better muffler flap solution that fixes the rattle problem completely without buying a brand new muffler.

The issue in this design is that you have a heat difference that could cause the flap to become tight once the exhaust starts to flow. The designers probably made the clearances on the flap shaft a bit larger because of this. So the rattler is not from the vacuum actuator as some have noted but the flap shaft and the muffler. The vibration in the muffler system is rattling the flap when the right frequency is present. If you simply apply a slight amount of pressure to the flap shaft it will stop the rattle at any frequency.

Using a ~2" length light coil spring with closed rounded ends can do the trick (You can find these at harbor freight, See photo). Bend the ends to form a round that is slightly larger than the flap shaft diameter on both sides. Attach the spring from one side of shaft to the other by stretching it and you now have tension on the shaft. Takes only 15 minute to make and install. Add a small amount of high temp thick grease to allow the flap to rotate freely and you are done...

Hope this helps....
Thanks z4s4
PS: Anyone know where you can get a service manual for this car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Nice fix! Also, the previous owner really enjoyed this car...70k miles in 3years!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #26
bmrcfreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4s4 View Post
I am a new Z4 owner with a 2011 35is that has over 70K on it. The first thing I found on the cold start was this terrible rattle from the right rear. This forced me to design a better muffler flap solution that fixes the rattle problem completely without buying a brand new muffler.

The issue in this design is that you have a heat difference that could cause the flap to become tight once the exhaust starts to flow. The designers probably made the clearances on the flap shaft a bit larger because of this. So the rattler is not from the vacuum actuator as some have noted but the flap shaft and the muffler. The vibration in the muffler system is rattling the flap when the right frequency is present. If you simply apply a slight amount of pressure to the flap shaft it will stop the rattle at any frequency.

Using a ~2" length light coil spring with closed rounded ends can do the trick (You can find these at harbor freight, See photo). Bend the ends to form a round that is slightly larger than the flap shaft diameter on both sides. Attach the spring from one side of shaft to the other by stretching it and you now have tension on the shaft. Takes only 15 minute to make and install. Add a small amount of high temp thick grease to allow the flap to rotate freely and you are done...

Hope this helps....
Thanks z4s4
This is a brilliant solution, THANK YOU very much for sharing! This should be stickied somewhere!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #27
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

many people do the golf tee mod (search for it) but since you want the sound to be lesser on startup this wouldnt have worked for you. great job on this fix.
      02-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #28
doctorroe
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i - Black

Great job! Going to do it this week!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #29
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4s4 View Post

Hope this helps....
Thanks z4s4
Here you go: http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_aa6c05ad-4...fe74d8fcc.arox Google is your friend

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.

Last edited by jparnes1; 02-21-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #30
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I think the poster was looking for a service manual. The link was to the owners manual. I would be interested in a service manual as well.
      02-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #31
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart View Post
I think the poster was looking for a service manual. The link was to the owners manual. I would be interested in a service manual as well.
Yeah, my bad. Here you go. But you might want to consider doing more than BMW recommends if you plan on keeping your car.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2011_Z4_Service_warrantly_booklet.pdf (4.51 MB, 263 views)

Appreciate 0