New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

10-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

2018 24 Hours of Daytona - Travel Tips

I'm in the process of planning my first ever trip to Daytona. I won't be camping, just flying into Orlando and driving up. Once BMWNA/BMWCCA confirms a BMW corral, I'll probably do that.

I already know to dress for rain, cold, heat, and whatever else, so any other helpful hints on this trip?

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

I'm interested in going to this as well. I went in 2016 and it was great! Yes, expect all four seasons in the 24 hour period, lol.

The Infield plus Garage access is a must. Walking the track, meeting the drivers/cars and seeing all the action go down in the Pit is an experience.

I want to do the BMW corral this year. Is there a link or posting I can check periodically in order to join the corral?
      10-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

I'm planning to go to this as well hopefully with the BMW car corral. Maybe i'll rent an m4
Appreciate 1
mookie45769.00
      10-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #4
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMWNA hasn't committed to a corral yet (like every year it seems), but I can't see how they won't since they're introducing the M8. Once the corral is officially announced and registration opens, I'll post the link here.

Where does everyone stay? Near the track or oceanfront?

There was a guy on Turo renting his M4 for $150/day, someone should scoop that up!

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Any update on a corral?
      11-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Any update on a corral?
nope, still waiting. if prior years are any indication, it could be late Dec before anything is finalized

Appreciate 1
mookie45769.00
      11-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Just bring clothes for whatever weather Daytona decides to throw at you. You'll have a great time, lots of car stuff to see and do. Frankly, all you need is a tent, clothes, cash and a good smoke/beverage. KISS method.

Sounds strange, yet i find the best trips are the ones where less = more

IMHO the behind the scenes of the race is equally as much fun. Then again am a car tech / engineer / driver guy. So just a whiff of burning race gas works for me

Since this is a BMW discussion board.... Pics from Daytona 2008 when former BMW Formula 1 driver Pablo Montoya won.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
parnet
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is convertable

Wonder if they will have one. Was surprised they didn't have one at Sebring last year. Speaking of which was really disappointed at Sebring no vintage or cam am racing, my buddy sent them a email and they must have had a lot of complaints because the response was that they were hoping to have them in 18. If I'm not mistaken NASCAR owns them now, GOD HELP US
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
BMWNA hasn't committed to a corral yet (like every year it seems), but I can't see how they won't since they're introducing the M8. Once the corral is officially announced and registration opens, I'll post the link here.

Where does everyone stay? Near the track or oceanfront?

There was a guy on Turo renting his M4 for $150/day, someone should scoop that up!
If you plan to stay anywhere near the track book now. New Symerna is a nice place close and you my be able to get a place on the beach.
Grand stands can get cold and windy at night especially at the top where you can see the whole track so bring layers. A poncho is a good idea too. Free parking across from the track but get there early. At night no problem.
And wear comfortable shoes!
You can also bring in a small cooler for your favorite beverages but no glass containers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW CCA Daytona corral tickets go on sale Wed 12/13. Very limited number of packages are available, so it'll sell out quickly.

Appreciate 1
mookie45769.00
      12-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
KillrM3
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Picked up my CCA Corral tickets this morning. Looked like it filled up pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillrM3 View Post
Picked up my CCA Corral tickets this morning. Looked like it filled up pretty quick.
Gone in 60 seconds....literally!

I look forward to this
Unlimited Open Bar
Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
House Red and White Wines
Absolut, Tanqueray, Bacardi Superior, Jack Daniel's, Crown Royal, Patron
Unlimited Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dasani

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

2 weeks away! After seeing some of the posts on social media about the Roar this past weekend, I'm really getting excited about this season. The M8 GTE looks awesome, although didn't do much in qualifying.

Anyone else doing the BMW corral?

Last edited by pseto; 01-16-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Gone in 60 seconds....literally!

I look forward to this
Unlimited Open Bar
Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra
House Red and White Wines
Absolut, Tanqueray, Bacardi Superior, Jack Daniel's, Crown Royal, Patron
Unlimited Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dasani
Just curious, but what does the corral normally go for as a fellow BMWCCA member? I won't be making it to Daytona this year, but would love to in the future. I make it out to Petit at Road Atlanta, but have never gotten into the corral. If unlimited booze is an option, I'm throwing a tent over between turns 4 and five for RA this year
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #15
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Just curious, but what does the corral normally go for as a fellow BMWCCA member? I won't be making it to Daytona this year, but would love to in the future. I make it out to Petit at Road Atlanta, but have never gotten into the corral. If unlimited booze is an option, I'm throwing a tent over between turns 4 and five for RA this year
$425 for 2 people (includes tent/infield/garage access and race tickets) and 1 parking spot for 3 days. Plus, we get meet-and-greets with all the BMW race teams (RLL, Turner, Bimmerworld, etc)

Its a bargain if you ask me

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:14 AM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
$425 for 2 people (includes tent/infield/garage access and race tickets) and 1 parking spot for 3 days. Plus, we get meet-and-greets with all the BMW race teams (RLL, Turner, Bimmerworld, etc)

Its a bargain if you ask me
Not bad at all. BMW Corral for Petit this past year would be $400 for two people, but from what I could tell that really just got you a special parking spot and a tent with a flat screen and folding table. Now if booze, meet-and-greets, etc. is included with that as well...then it makes sense.

I had mentioned in another thread that I just found some "surprise" PTO days that must be used in January. Looks like Daytona corral filled up quick for this year, but I may still try to come down. I'll reach out to you if we end up being able to make it. Peachtree chapter represent!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #17
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not bad at all. BMW Corral for Petit this past year would be $400 for two people, but from what I could tell that really just got you a special parking spot and a tent with a flat screen and folding table. Now if booze, meet-and-greets, etc. is included with that as well...then it makes sense.

I had mentioned in another thread that I just found some "surprise" PTO days that must be used in January. Looks like Daytona corral filled up quick for this year, but I may still try to come down. I'll reach out to you if we end up being able to make it. Peachtree chapter represent!
You should try to make it to VIR too. Our corral is awesome, although doesn't include open bar

BMW Performance Center gives out a free ///M School and hot laps, tons of giveaways like Michelin tires, food, meet & greets, etc. It's easily the best BMW corral of all the IMSA events

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You should try to make it to VIR too. Our corral is awesome, although doesn't include open bar

BMW Performance Center gives out a free ///M School and hot laps, tons of giveaways like Michelin tires, food, meet & greets, etc. It's easily the best BMW corral of all the IMSA events
Nice! Not to swing off topic here, but has anyone given any of VIR's onsite lodging a shot? Would make a good way to spend mid August for the IMSA event (about 350 or so miles away) if the prices aren't bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #19
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Not to swing off topic here, but has anyone given any of VIR's onsite lodging a shot? Would make a good way to spend mid August for the IMSA event (about 350 or so miles away) if the prices aren't bad.
The VIR lodge is pretty tough to get a room during IMSA week. You pretty much have to know the owner to get one which one of our members did last year.

However, for campers, there's plenty of space and cheap.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #20
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:

Yeah, $400 for Petit in my opinion really isn't worth it. And agreed, if what you mentioned above was part of the package then it would possibly be worth it. My son and I go every year, and we really enjoy it. He (12 yrs. old) even said that it didn't seem worth it. He loves going down to the pits and walking through vendor row. I'm just glad that he has embraced the whole experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERMAN M3 View Post
Yeah, $400 for Petit in my opinion really isn't worth it. And agreed, if what you mentioned above was part of the package then it would possibly be worth it. My son and I go every year, and we really enjoy it. He (12 yrs. old) even said that it didn't seem worth it. He loves going down to the pits and walking through vendor row. I'm just glad that he has embraced the whole experience.
Keep at it! My dad took me to the first Petit and we've gone to just about every one since except in recent years. Some of our best memories have been spent at that track, and we still go there frequently for the Mitty, NASA, club...

Let me know next time you're heading over; it's a quick drive to RA for me.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34176.50
      01-18-2018, 09:13 PM   #22
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Keep at it! My dad took me to the first Petit and we've gone to just about every one since except in recent years. Some of our best memories have been spent at that track, and we still go there frequently for the Mitty, NASA, club...

Let me know next time you're heading over; it's a quick drive to RA for me.
Sounds good Spazzy! I'll keep you posted. Love that track as well.
At last years Petit, my son got to meet Bill Auberlein and get his autograph. Kid was on cloud 9 all day long!
Appreciate 1