New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
coetzejg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 3.0 M Black/red

Z4 service intervals

What is the service intervals for the Z4? Seems like it is 30 000kms, unless something went wrong with the interval counter last time my car visited the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

yup its true
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i was picking up a license plate frame and i saw this older man literally call the SA a liar and that BMW was trying to take advantage of him because there was no way the oil and brake mileage was correct and that it was too long in between intervals...

so having said that, let me say this....BTW i was going to post a "NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN" pic

these are not POS fords or chevys, 3k miles per oil change is NOT the norm and yes the computer is correct and NO you don't know better than BMW engineers... if you want oil changes done sooner you can, just ask.
      04-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

I'm one owner that is not getting any oil changes in between the normal intervals. I'm not keeping the car past 48k mile warranty period. I generally trust the engineers, but if anything happens prior to 48k miles as a result of BMW not changing th oil enough, it's their responsibility, not mine, so I'm not going to worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

In the US with mostly highway driving you will go about 15K miles between service intervals based on BMW's computer algorithms. Many decide to have an intermediate oil and filter change done at around 7500miles. Whether or not it is needed is debatable but it makes them feel good. I even performed an oil and filter change at 2000 miles on my 09 335i vert but the oil was so clean and I found no sign of metal so this time I am waiting till at least 5K miles before I change it or 6 months whichever comes first. It may well be 6 months.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

My understanding, from phone calls to a local BMW dealer service dept, is that if you don't exceed the mileage goal then a simple oil change at 1 year (which will be less than 3k miles for me).

Does this sound right ?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Yes, if you don't drive enough miles to activate the serrvice needed notification you will receive the annual low mileage service which is essentially an oil and filter change and that's about it.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
so having said that, let me say this....BTW i was going to post a "NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN" pic
Don't hold back on my account. . ., or did you use 'em all?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-26-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
With synthetic oils, which BMW recommends (and uses) then 15,000 miles/25,000 km is acceptable for highway driving. For stop-and-go driving it should be shorter and your computer should take that into account.
For low mileage cars, one should change oil at least once a year though twice is better (once in the fall once in the spring)

I am, however, planning on requesting an initial oil change at 1,200 miles (end of the break-in period) to get rid of any metal deposits; has anyone else done that?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Micky Dee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW sdrive 3.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
With synthetic oils, which BMW recommends (and uses) then 15,000 miles/25,000 km is acceptable for highway driving. For stop-and-go driving it should be shorter and your computer should take that into account.
For low mileage cars, one should change oil at least once a year though twice is better (once in the fall once in the spring)

I am, however, planning on requesting an initial oil change at 1,200 miles (end of the break-in period) to get rid of any metal deposits; has anyone else done that?
Surely, with a precision engineered engine of BMW standard you shouldn't experience metal deposits!!! I'm shocked.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dee View Post
Surely, with a precision engineered engine of BMW standard you shouldn't experience metal deposits!!! I'm shocked.
Yeah right... In addition, by definition at the beginning of break-in the piston rings aren't fully seated so you have early oil contamination.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Assuming that EVERY decision BMW makes (like any car mfg) is based on money/cost.

Then, if BMW thought there would be metal deposits that would cause issues with the engine, they would have required a 1200 mile oil change at no charge to the customer, like the other scheduled maintenance. That would be far less expensive for BMW than the alternative, which would be replacing or reparing thousands of engines that developed issues due to metal deposits.

Since they do not require a 1200 mile oil change, then we know they are confident that there will be no metal deposits harming the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
Stick Shift
Private
Rep
Drives: too fast

Any metal shavings in the oil large enough to see with the naked eye would be easily captured by the oil filter. The two main concerns are oil contamination and oil breakdown. Contamination is mostly from microscopic dust particles that get past the engine air filter and end up in the oil, and also from combustion by-products (like soot and water). Oil breakdown is mainly due to oxidation and mechanical shearing.

The amount of contamination in your oil will depend on where and how you drive. If you frequently drive in dusty conditions or do a lot of stop-and-go driving, then you should get your oil changed more frequently.

Oil breakdown is a cumulative process; it is always happening whenever your engine is running. So the longer you keep the oil in your engine, the worse job it does at lubricating.

This "oil change interval" issue has been beaten to death for years over at the rennlist forum. There is no agreement; some people insist on getting oil changes every 4K miles and others insist that the manufacturer knows what's best. It does seem though that most owners want to do an initial oil change about the time of the end of the break-in period, just to be safe.

Last edited by Stick Shift; 04-20-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1 to Stick Shifts' comments and add to them.

Oil doesn't technically "breakdown", e.g., nothing stops it from being "oily" in a normal engine. As noted, contaminates, primarily soot, a by-product of combustion separate the oil molecules and over time the oil becomes less efficient at being able to maintain that sticky, thin film layer on your bearing surfaces. Keep in mind, however, throughout history and even during the beginning of the industrial revolution, water was used to minimize friction between two surfaces. Today, gasoline is used to lubricate your fuel pump. Automatic transmission fluid is really ultra thin “oil” that I’ve used many times in my vintage car engines.

Some will argue, but the “3,000 mile oil change” is a concept promoted by oil companies years ago. At one time it was a good idea, considering that engines were low compression, carbureted, had stifling emission control systems, poor ignition systems, and air conditioning compressors large enough to run a normal sized house. Bumper to bumper traffic during peak summer heat was a massive strain on the typical 6 to 7 liter v8 engine. Engines were very inefficient in those days. Now, great advances have been made with direct injection, high static and even higher dynamic compression ratios, greatly minimized parasitic loads (power steering and ac), various anti-friction surfacing within engines, excellent air filtration systems, and sealed engine crank cases have moved engine efficiency forward and prolonged oil life by reducing the soot by product.

Lastly, the idea of metal particles in the oil during break-in is highly over rated. If the engine’s internal parts shed metallic particles at anywhere near the rate some people fear, our engines would last about 20,000 miles. The reason engines last more than 150,000 miles today is because friction is managed quite well. The one area engine builders design a small amount of immediate friction is in the piston cylinder bores, which enable the piston rings to wear a little bit and “seat”. This period of time is extremely short and the metal particles are indeed microscopic, being captured by the oil filter.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-22-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^ I think you made my point, indirectly.

I would like the oil filter changed at 1,200 miles, after that I'll follow the regular 15,000 mile interval.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Agreed - the filter and probably oil should be changed at 1,000 to 2,000 miles; then the normal interval is okay - I guess. I may still change it every 7,500 mile. It only cost $80 and I am paranoid as we should have this car for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Most BMW ///M motors do have a 1200 mile service to change the oil and filter. I believe this is because the motors are more loose and do have more break-in wear. Standard motors should be fine but do use a bit of oil in the first 6 months.

For synthetic oils, I do the following:
Which ever is first, the BMW indicator, 1 year, or 15,000 miles.
For severe duty (extended sessions at high RPMs or very short start/stop cycles), I'd pay for a 6 month or 7500 mile change. I have done this a few times but not regularly.

My thoughts for standard oils would be 7500 miles for normal service or 3000 miles severe duty. My mother drives 2 miles to and from work. It takes her >6 months to do 3000 miles. I recommended that she follow the 3000 mile suggestion in her van.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Here is a quote from Mike Miller, Tech Talk guru in the Roundel Magazine. It's lengthy but worth the read. If your not leasing and plan to keep your car for a long time, this has validity. You can email him for the "Old School Maintenance Schedule" @ AUSPUF2002@aol.com.
"The BMW Maintenance Program (formerly known as Scheduled Maintenance) means that BMW will perform scheduled maintenance free of charge during the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.
In 1992 BMW made 3/36 scheduled maintenance coverage available for
purchase.
In 1993 BMW began covering scheduled maintenance for V12 models (750iL and 850i).
3-year / 36,000 mile scheduled maintenance became standard across the BMW line-make in 1996.
3/36 “scheduled” was upgraded to 3/36 “full maintenance” on all BMWs in 2000.
4-year / 50,000 mile BMW Maintenance Program (the “full” term was dropped) was introduced across the BMW line-make in 2004.
Prior to the advent of Scheduled Maintenance, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations on the E30 3 Series were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a
tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more.
Prior to Scheduled Maintenance, you couldn’t change engine oil often enough according to most dealerships. And when the car was in the shop it would often be due for this service or that inspection, all at the owner’s expense.
But once BMW began paying for scheduled maintenance, lo and behold the “schedule” was revised. Now the cars hardly need any maintenance at all. The 1,200-mile break-in service was done away with except for M cars. Engine oil suddenly lasts 15,000 miles (dealers are supposed to use BMW synthetic oil). Manual gearbox and differential oil? No worries there – now BMW says they NEVER need to be changed; it’s “lifetime fill.” Brake fluid and coolant service intervals were doubled with no change in the original BMW brake fluid and anti-freeze dealers are supposed to use. As of 2005, coolant is now “lifetime fill” as well – with no change in the actual coolant. So, is today’s BMW Maintenance Program all about marketing and cost reduction – Draw your own conclusions. There is no doubt that many buyers view BMWs as high maintenance cars, and that can be an impediment to sales – but it is also entirely correct. Nothing can address that more effectively than Free Scheduled Maintenance. The operative word in the name is “scheduled.” In my opinion, extended service intervals and “lifetime fill” came very close on the heels of Free Scheduled Maintenance."
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Here is a quote from Mike Miller, Tech Talk guru in the Roundel Magazine. It's lengthy but worth the read. If your not leasing and plan to keep your car for a long time, this has validity. You can email him for the "Old School Maintenance Schedule" @ AUSPUF2002@aol.com.
"The BMW Maintenance Program (formerly known as Scheduled Maintenance) means that BMW will perform scheduled maintenance free of charge during the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.
In 1992 BMW made 3/36 scheduled maintenance coverage available for
purchase.
In 1993 BMW began covering scheduled maintenance for V12 models (750iL and 850i).
3-year / 36,000 mile scheduled maintenance became standard across the BMW line-make in 1996.
3/36 “scheduled” was upgraded to 3/36 “full maintenance” on all BMWs in 2000.
4-year / 50,000 mile BMW Maintenance Program (the “full” term was dropped) was introduced across the BMW line-make in 2004.
Prior to the advent of Scheduled Maintenance, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations on the E30 3 Series were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a
tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more.
Prior to Scheduled Maintenance, you couldn’t change engine oil often enough according to most dealerships. And when the car was in the shop it would often be due for this service or that inspection, all at the owner’s expense.
But once BMW began paying for scheduled maintenance, lo and behold the “schedule” was revised. Now the cars hardly need any maintenance at all. The 1,200-mile break-in service was done away with except for M cars. Engine oil suddenly lasts 15,000 miles (dealers are supposed to use BMW synthetic oil). Manual gearbox and differential oil? No worries there – now BMW says they NEVER need to be changed; it’s “lifetime fill.” Brake fluid and coolant service intervals were doubled with no change in the original BMW brake fluid and anti-freeze dealers are supposed to use. As of 2005, coolant is now “lifetime fill” as well – with no change in the actual coolant. So, is today’s BMW Maintenance Program all about marketing and cost reduction – Draw your own conclusions. There is no doubt that many buyers view BMWs as high maintenance cars, and that can be an impediment to sales – but it is also entirely correct. Nothing can address that more effectively than Free Scheduled Maintenance. The operative word in the name is “scheduled.” In my opinion, extended service intervals and “lifetime fill” came very close on the heels of Free Scheduled Maintenance."
That's excellent, and a number of things can be taken from the statement:

First, is that from a cost control standpoint, BMW looked at service intervals and reasoned they would save money by placing the interval at the farthest point on the line. Given they only warranty cars for 100,000 miles (in the US, not sure elsewhere) they could safely assume the cars would last at least that long under warranty. Most owners today don't own cars past 100,000 miles anyway.

It's easy to be cynical about what BMW's motives may be, but the bottom line is that even under really hard street driving conditions BMW's schedule is really not that far out of wack.

For years a couple of my friends have used AMSOil, the first synthetic oil, with super efficient filters for over 50,000 miles and saw better than 350,000 miles on their engines. So, synthetic oil are all that and the bag of chips. However, on the other hand, I don't know if BMW's oil filters meet AMSOil specs.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #20
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

^^ the only problem with that post from jparnes1 is that you don't know the motive, "cost" is an answer your brain can deal with, but not necessarily the correct answer, bmw could have easily up the quality of the build and fluids, i've seen the reports for the fluids and they're pretty amazing. also remember that MB tried the same thing but failed miserably and had to fix tons of cars when they started their "free maintenance" program because of their bad build quality, hence they don't offer it anymore...
      04-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #21
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Very true
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Agreed - the filter and probably oil should be changed at 1,000 to 2,000 miles; then the normal interval is okay - I guess. I may still change it every 7,500 mile. It only cost $80 and I am paranoid as we should have this car for a very long time.
Am I correct in thinking that the oil filter is near the top of the engine, and therefore can be changed without changing the oil?

- New to the N54 engine
Appreciate 0