New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
BMW Z4 Promotion includes a Discovery Channel HD Special

Here are the TV Listings for the HD Special on the Z4 ==> http://dhd.discovery.com/tv-schedule...710.128236.0.0

BMWs past discovery channel specials have definitly been worth it so I wouldn't miss this one!

Along with this BMW is planning an MSN.com homepage takeover on the 11th, a host of online advertising ads and of course this 30 minute discovery channel special

Here is BMWs press release on the topic:

Quote:
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - May 8, 2009... BMW sought an innovative approach for the launch of the all-new BMW Z4 Roadster, and had to look no further than its rich legacy of commitment to art for inspiration. The result, an aesthetically powerful marketing campaign entitled "Expression of Joy," rolls out in early May. The campaign, which relies heavily on vibrant video content, includes an MSN.com homepage takeover on May 11 with which BMW will be the first advertiser to make use of the Web site’s new feature - an expandable video unit that will allow users to view the BMW Z4 spot in full-screen mode. Also, the conventional 30-second spot is complimented by a 30-minute documentary.

At the heart of the campaign, created by BMW’s Austin, Texas-based agency GSD&M Idea City, is an artistic collaboration between BMW, contemporary artist Robin Rhode and filmmaker Jake Scott. Rhode choreographed the movements of two BMW Z4 Roadsters mounted with special paint dispensers behind the wheels to create a football-field size painting, while Scott captured all the action with 40 simultaneous camera angles. The final Rhode piece and video elements form the foundation of the campaign’s creative treatments.

“BMW has a long history of collaborating with contemporary artists,” said Jack Pitney, Vice President of Marketing, BMW of North America. “Through this latest collaboration with Robin and Jake, we’ve extended our tradition of engaging leading talents in the art community for the introduction of the all-new BMW Z4 Roadster.”

A 30-minute documentary that offers a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Rhode piece, as it was directed by Scott at Downey Studios in Los Angeles last November, forms the centerpiece of the campaign. The documentary will air on Discovery HD Theater at 8 p.m. Eastern Time on May 10, with subsequent multiple airings on the network through May and June. Additionally, a tie-in with TiVo will extend the reach of the documentary by allowing TiVo users to preview and record it for later viewing.

The BMW Z4 campaign’s online presence will rely exclusively on video-based assets, to bring the performance art to life online. Video banners will run from May 8 – June 30 on leading news, business and lifestyle Web sites, including CNN, CNN Money, Dow Jones, Yahoo!, Condé Nast and Wired.

National print pieces, many with unique creative treatments, will be published in May and June issues of art, lifestyle and design magazines, including Art & Antiques, ArtNews Esquire, W, and Elle Décor. Notably, an eight-page, photo feature-style insert, written and photographed by actor Dennis Hopper, will run in the June issue of Vanity Fair, and a cover page takeover is slated for the June issue of Dwell magazine.

An out-of-home component is planned for the nation’s busiest airports in ten key markets for BMW. The airport billboards feature representations of the Rhode piece alongside images of the BMW Z4 with headlines that read, “Expressionism meets Exhilarationism,” “Not all artists are depressed” and “Rarely does the paintbrush rival the painting,” or the succinctly stated “Art Movement” and “Muse.”

While the core of the campaign breaks in May, some elements that laid the groundwork for the campaign began to appear as early as late-March, including: a public art installation featuring the Rhode/Scott collaboration at New York City’s Grand Central Terminal from March 25–April 6; an iPhone application that lets users replicate Rhode’s experience of creating artwork with the BMW Z4 as “paintbrush;” and the launch of the BMW Z4 micro-site www.expressionofjoy.com. Additionally, special video spots are now running in mainstream and independent movie theaters nationwide – a 30-second spot prior to the house lights going down and a two-minute cinematic piece as a lead-in to the feature presentation.
      05-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Thanks Mark, should be a great special!
      05-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
just starting... excited
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

i just watched it, it was good. it was truly amazing/creative how robin came up with the idea to use a car as an paintbrush or an instrument to create an abstract art. i don't know why they chose him particularly in the aspect of making the whole "expression of joy " but he had some really out of the box ideas.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
I watched this last night. I enjoyed it. I especially liked the opening with the new Z4 burning through a set of rear tires......
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Argent60
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A6 3.0t Prestige

I watched it...didn't like it. Maybe I'm not artistic enough.

But I think just showing this beautiful car, whether stationary or moving, is "art" all by itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent60 View Post
I watched it...didn't like it. Maybe I'm not artistic enough.

But I think just showing this beautiful car, whether stationary or moving, is "art" all by itself.
+1
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
too bad as we can't watch this in Germany.....someone needs to record it
      05-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Is there an online link for this?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Is there an online link for this?
I've been looking...no luck finding any yet. If I do I will post a link.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

i was looking for this on my tv and havent been able to find it. Not even on the tvguide site
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

It can be found online at the

+

And I didn't like it at all. Whenever artists talk, it just sounds like they are bullsh*tting in the hopes that people won't realize: how useless they are + how they chose to do art as an easy/fun way out and got lucky making money instead of having to work/study/and do a real job.

/rant (I know this doesn't apply to every artist, but all the art majors at my school epically frustrated me as they partied all the time while I was in the library studying...I guess I am happier now...I hope)
Appreciate 0