New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

oil gauge level

Argh, I'm not liking these electronic ones, anyone ever have it read 2/3 but then the next time you drive the car it goes back up to 'Full'? What gives?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I HATE, HATE, HATE NOT having a dip stick.
Make the electronic dip stick/ oil guage OPTIONAL. SUPPLY a manual Dip stick as standard- PLEASE.
ABSURD.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Same here. Also what's the deal with the e-hand brake? Did they finally decide it was a mistake?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Bmw put in the e oil sensor because people will not check their dipsticks. Better to have the car tell you you're low then not to know until it's too late. And it doesn't matter if it shows that you're down one tick and then the next time you're full. What matters is if you're a full quart down. You'll get a warning which in my mind is a lot easier than checking manually.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
I dont mind it. You just need to check while the oil is at operating temperature. otherwise the reading won't be accurate.
      01-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

yes, that happens to me from time to time. there are only 5 marks on the dip stick indicator so it isn't super precise

As for the old school/dipstick, those aren't super precise either and are messier

Are you guys going to ask for the hand crank starter back too ?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz

Are you guys going to ask for the hand crank starter back too ?
Haha. Yeah I drive a manual transmission and tell time with a sundial 😀

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Bmw put in the e oil sensor because people will not check their dipsticks. Better to have the car tell you you're low then not to know until it's too late. And it doesn't matter if it shows that you're down one tick and then the next time you're full. What matters is if you're a full quart down. You'll get a warning which in my mind is a lot easier than checking manually.
So what does that say about the typical BMW owner?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha. Yeah I drive a manual transmission and tell time with a sundial 😀
Your MT still doesn't have enough purist/hardcore/enthusiast cred because it has synchros.. if its not a crash box with straight cut gears it isn't pure/hardcore/enthusiast... might as well get with the times and get flappy paddles and electro dip stick

j/k

paying more and having more weight in the car for DCT to get more speed was such a tough call.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOW defending BMW on this one.
This fantastic car that people spend $50, $60, $70K on , then throw $1,000's more or as some members on this forum have spent $10K + in mods with tuning, M body kits, $4000 in an Eismann, Coil Overs and on and on and we will not dare to check our own oil levels manually!!!!!
We are too lazy to pull a dip stock and must have a computer tell us that the oil level is OK?
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

WOW defending BMW on this one.
This fantastic car that people spend $50, $60, $70K on , then throw $1,000's more or as some members on this forum have spent $10K + in mods with tuning, M body kits, $4000 in an Eismann, Coil Overs and on and on and we will not dare to check our own oil levels manually!!!!!
We are too lazy to pull a dip stock and must have a computer tell us that the oil level is OK?[/QUOTE

Oh my god, I'm a lazy car sports car owner! I don't deserve to drive my car!! How did I end up being such a terrible person? Your passion for dipsticks is only exceeded by your passion for snobbery. If you want to get all hot and bothered about it, go ahead. I've got better things to think about.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1
Quote:
So what does that say about the typical BMW owner?
The typical BMW owner is not a car enthusiast. They buy it for the brand and status that comes with it. They don't know anything about he car's performance characteristics or how to maintain it. So yes, BMW needs to have the car tell the owner when the oil is low, when the tires are low on air, etc. it makes for a safer driving experience.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Really, the purpose of the 'estick' is because ppl weren't checking oil levels? Ok, so I take it that it's not super accurate and I must be somewhere near full then. Btw, it only shows a reading when the computer deems it at operating temps, otherwise it'll just remain as a 'clock icon', so I assume that one can *only* get a reading when w/i operating temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #14
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
The typical BMW owner is not a car enthusiast. They buy it for the brand and status that comes with it. They don't know anything about he car's performance characteristics or how to maintain it. So yes, BMW needs to have the car tell the owner when the oil is low, when the tires are low on air, etc. it makes for a safer driving experience.
What's so ironic about all that (for me personally) is having just returned to the BMW fold after a nearly 40 year absence (last one was a '75 2002!), I still remember a time when only we BMW owners knew what the damn cars were and wouldn't trust maintenance or repairs to anyone but ourselves and maybe the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #15
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1
Quote:
What's so ironic about all that (for me personally) is having just returned to the BMW fold after a nearly 40 year absence (last one was a '75 2002!), I still remember a time when only we BMW owners knew what the damn cars were and wouldn't trust maintenance or repairs to anyone but ourselves and maybe the dealer.
I hear you. What's different now is that you literally can't maintain your car entirely by yourself. Without access to the ECU you can't even change the battery. It's a different world.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #16
BackNblack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I wonder if they had the same argument when we had to quit carrying wooden sticks to check the gas level? Everything evolves and I am sure we all trust our gas guages....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

This is all for fun and to keep the conversation and opinions going:

Technology marches on and electronics do and will run and rule everything. This IS a given. IE our cell phone.
I guess I am still old school of wanting to and enjoy completing my own Mainteniance and trusting my own eyes and capabilities, from the simpliest to the most difficult, of automobile ownership. Nothing to do with snobbery as suggested.

Other issues- look at what we are teaching all new to the road drivers. You don't need to know anything about your car. Nothing. HAL will tell you. You are in the middle of a long haul drive and the car needs oil. OMG. Call the dealer. (What ever you do, don't dare open that hood and be self reliant. A little scarcism for fun.)

My personal case and point:
I am in the middle of working with both of my driving boys who now both own cars, add 2 more to the fleet, and teaching them the Mainteniance needed on there cars. This includes checking and and changing there own oil, flushing coolant, checking brake fliud, checking power steering and transmission levels on a regualr basis. As well as brake repair and other absloute necessities to car ownership in my opinion.

As these 2 kids are in college, and again as mentioned now new car owners, (Under DADS insurance) I have enough costs pilied on without the need to have both kids relying on there cars to burp for them and call the dealer everytime and for every last aspect of automobile ownership and responsibilities.

Electronic sensors and devices are great but some things still need a manual capability even if as back, up in my opinion

Otherwise, auto ownership will become (or maybe already has become) just press the start button and drive other than that call the dealer, (at $1000 a POP, they don't mind) if the car burps.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. What's different now is that you literally can't maintain your car entirely by yourself. Without access to the ECU you can't even change the battery. It's a different world.
+1 on this

I went in on Saturday for a tire change which has spiraled into me not being sure when I will have my car back

sensor says rear brake pads need changing.. visual inspection shows they were fine. dealer wanted to reprogram the sensor to clear the service warning. module failed programming. dealer has to involve BMW regional techs to resolve issue.

Appreciate 0