New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Aftermarket brake rotors

Just ordered a set of Akebono Euro ceramic brake pads for our Z4 35i today and figured I'd swap out the rotors at the same time.

It looks like a couple of you have had success with the Brake Performance ones as first discussed in this thread. It looks like a front and rear set of "premium" slotted and dimpled rotors from Brake Performance will set you back $419 ($252 for the fronts and $167 for the rears).

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro....php?did=35786

Today, I found a set of front and rear StopTech replacement rotors for the OEM brakes from an online vendor. The fronts are $150 each, or $300 for the pair. The rears are $100 each, or $200 for the pair, bringing the total for a set to $500.

http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...2011-z3-z4-e86
http://www.3zero3motorsports.com/sto...z3-z4-e86-rear

The Brake Performance ones are supposedly made in Italy, while I wouldn't be surprised if the StopTech ones are made in China, for whatever that's worth. Though, I must say, I do like the look of the StopTech ones. They also claim to weigh less than OEM, though they don't specify how much and it gives you the impression its just boilerplate advertising copy.

Does anyone have experience with StopTech replacement rotors for OEM brakes, either for the Z4 or another car? For a $81 difference, I am tempted to try them out.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

stoptech is a legit brand. They make a very nice ($) aftermarket brake systems and are an OEM supplier as well (http://www.stoptech.com/OEM)

Consider buying direct from stoptech to make sure its the genuine article....

Personally, I would skip slotted and/or drilled and just get "blank" rotors (i.e. the ones that are a solid piece of metal, like OEM.

Also, I guess it is too late now, but what are your goals for the brake rotors? I think low dust is likely the only advantage of those pads....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
stoptech is a legit brand. They make a very nice ($) aftermarket brake systems and are an OEM supplier as well (http://www.stoptech.com/OEM)

Consider buying direct from stoptech to make sure its the genuine article....

Personally, I would skip slotted and/or drilled and just get "blank" rotors (i.e. the ones that are a solid piece of metal, like OEM.

Also, I guess it is too late now, but what are your goals for the brake rotors? I think low dust is likely the only advantage of those pads....
Hey, Nick. Thanks for the reply.

Did you mean my goal for the brake pads? If so, the goal with the Akebonos is, as you say, to more or less maintain OEM braking with less dust. In our stable, the Z4 is our cruiser/show car and won't see the track. At most, it might see a couple of group runs in the canyons. Keeping the car clean is a high priority. The Akebonos are amazing compared to the OEM pad in terms of dust. It's night and day.

I actually have them on the M3 at the moment, though I am set to replace the stockers with a BBK in the not too distant future.

Definitely familiar with StopTech, though I do believe that most of their stuff is made in China. Might be on a nonissue, but I was just surprised to see the Brake Performance stuff made in Italy. I would have thought it would be the other way around, but apparently not. I might have to give StopTech a call to see what's up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I would suggest picking up the rear StopTech directly and then look at front replacements direct from bmw instead. the F30 performance brakes are a direct bolt on (front only) and are bigger than even the Euro spec 35is brakes.

http://www.circlebmwparts.com/partsn...ance-parts.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

How does brake balance change using the stock rear brakes and the F30 performance brakes for front? This is getting beyond my brake tech, but it is something to ask about, IMHO.

Hujan, I've had some bad luck with street, ceramic/low dust brake pads in the past. I melted a set in 1 afternoon in the canyons in a WRX. Went from 1/2" pad material to backing plate in 2 hours. Probably fine for a cruiser, but something to watch out for...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Hujan what year is your car? My 2012 has oem pads a virtually no brake dust. I wonder if your car is older and if BMW changed the pads later on.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hujan, I've had some bad luck with street, ceramic/low dust brake pads in the past. I melted a set in 1 afternoon in the canyons in a WRX. Went from 1/2" pad material to backing plate in 2 hours. Probably fine for a cruiser, but something to watch out for...
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to keep an eye out on that. Believe it or not, I did the weekend at Chuckwalla on the Akebono ceramics on the M3. It was a little scary on Saturday late in the day when the ambient was in the high 90s.

A guy that I know and respect very well is offering me an amazing deal on a lightly used set of Brembos for the M3. Going to be hard not to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Hujan what year is your car? My 2012 has oem pads a virtually no brake dust. I wonder if your car is older and if BMW changed the pads later on.
Good question. Our car is a 2010, but it had a build date in late 2009. The car has 30k miles, so I'm confident they are the original pads. So if BMW started out with very dusty pads before changing to something less dusty later, I'm sure I have the dustier ones on there.

Interestingly, the sensor for low brake pads never came on, but they are squealing like pigs and the pads appear worn.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

How were the oil temps in the M3?

Have you looked into Carbotech pads? I used a barely streetable set a few years ago, and while they squealed like crazy on the street they did not produce much brake dust and held up very nicely to track use.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How were the oil temps in the M3?
Not bad. Topped out at 250 if I recall and that was at the hottest, longest session on Saturday. I also have a pulley on there which I'm going to take off. Since it retards all the accessories (including the water pump) it obviously makes things run a little hotter. Not worth the 5-10 hp at the top end, especially as I get more into tracking.

Quote:
Have you looked into Carbotech pads? I used a barely streetable set a few years ago, and while they squealed like crazy on the street they did not produce much brake dust and held up very nicely to track use.
Have not. Did the squeal ever go away? That would definitely a no go in the Z4 since that's the wife's DD.

I am going to run the OE Brembo pads in the M3 BBK for now, but I'm hearing good things about Endless pads. Ever use those?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Have not. Did the squeal ever go away? That would definitely a no go in the Z4 since that's the wife's DD.

I am going to run the OE Brembo pads in the M3 BBK for now, but I'm hearing good things about Endless pads. Ever use those?
No, the squeal stayed. That's one trade off for those Carbotech pads. It was also sketchy during the first stop of the day.. needed a ton of pedal pressure. Not good for spouse daily driver.

I've used Brembo "sport" OEM replacement in the past too, not sure if the compound is the same. They were a fine street pad.

For endless, I've heard of that from more casual track users... No personal experience. The serious people seem to run Hawk track only pads then swap street pads, or accept the daily trade offs

Which days are you planning to go this year? let me know your schedule if you want to coordinate HPDE days
Appreciate 0