New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

My birthday gift to myself. 2-day M School

As the titles states, I'm heading to 2 day M School on Feb-12-14 as a bday gift to myself.

Just curious if any other members attended, and advice??

Also I'll be driving down from New York and curious if anyone has any recommendations for pitstops, or good driving roads? If anyone wants to meet up for a beer?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!!

And yes, I will definitely bring my Gopro to share the experience!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

I've attended.

Coming from Chicago, I did Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) on the way there. It's not TOO far, but not around the corner either.

Instructors are amazing, do NOT get discouraged if they say the same things repeatedly. They're filling in for your brain while it catches up. I thought I was piss-poor after Day 1 only to realize on Day 2 I was the second-fastest of the pack on the full track laps (which ISN'T about speed but braking and cornering). Guy in first had been to M-School twice before.

Remember to enjoy yourself. They pack a LOT into two days, don't forget, while you'll probably care about doing things well/right, it's supposed to be fun .

Have a great time.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I took a group of customers to the school, 18 months ago, and most everyone, including those that not interested in cars, still talk about it when ever I see them.
I purchased 4 events for my customers:
1. Lapping in 5 different Bimmers: X5M- Amazing for a giant tank, X3, 750 iL- Worst, 650i and Z4-35is. This is exactly why I own my Z today.
2. Timed Auto Cross- M3's- Fantastic
3. Drift track racing in 1 series- The best.
4. Hot Lap with the on staff Race car drivers. Fantastic.

Route 95, south of Richmond connects to Rt 85 in Peterborough, Virginia. This road runa appx. 70-80 miles runs to the outskirts of Durham NC. Speed Limit is 70-75 and most everyone is doing 80-85 with little traffic and POPO.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
1. Lapping in 5 different Bimmers: X5M- Amazing for a giant tank, X3, 750 iL- Worst, 650i and Z4-35is. This is exactly why I own my Z today.
Ha, yeah, forgot to mention. They quoted that roughly 70% of attendees purchase a new BMW within 12 months. I placed my 35is order exactly 11 months after attending. Talk about predictable.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
I've attended.

Coming from Chicago, I did Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) on the way there. It's not TOO far, but not around the corner either.

Instructors are amazing, do NOT get discouraged if they say the same things repeatedly. They're filling in for your brain while it catches up. I thought I was piss-poor after Day 1 only to realize on Day 2 I was the second-fastest of the pack on the full track laps (which ISN'T about speed but braking and cornering). Guy in first had been to M-School twice before.

Remember to enjoy yourself. They pack a LOT into two days, don't forget, while you'll probably care about doing things well/right, it's supposed to be fun .

Have a great time.
Thats awesome!! I've been hooked on track days, and instructors since I started with the Porsche club. Definitely looking fwd to 2 days of dedicated instruction from real pros. On a plus note, last I heard my class was still pretty empty so maybe that means more attention and lap time for me

How far do you think Tail of the dragon is from the class?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Nice going OP. Definitely let us know how it goes. I'm doing the 1 day M school in June (got a regular 1 day school for free for getting the 335 and decided to upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
I took a group of customers to the school, 18 months ago, and most everyone, including those that not interested in cars, still talk about it when ever I see them.
I purchased 4 events for my customers:
2. Timed Auto Cross- M3's- Fantastic
3. Drift track racing in 1 series- The best.
4. Hot Lap with the on staff Race car drivers. Fantastic.

Route 95, south of Richmond connects to Rt 85 in Peterborough, Virginia. This road runa appx. 70-80 miles runs to the outskirts of Durham NC. Speed Limit is 70-75 and most everyone is doing 80-85 with little traffic and POPO.
Wow, that is one hell of a gift!!! Very generous of you!! The drift segment is what I'm looking fwd to the most. But who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll have a permanent smile both days.

Did you take any videos?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Ha, yeah, forgot to mention. They quoted that roughly 70% of attendees purchase a new BMW within 12 months. I placed my 35is order exactly 11 months after attending. Talk about predictable.
Thats pretty funny. Fun fact, I'll still be "breaking in" during my trip there. Im still only at 740 miles.

btw, did you take any videos while there?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Deal's Gap is a little over two hours from Greenville.

I didn't take any videos myself but they take videos of you and provide them on a USB stick at the end. Quality isn't great though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Wow, that is one hell of a gift!!! Very generous of you!! The drift segment is what I'm looking fwd to the most. But who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll have a permanent smile both days.

Did you take any videos?
No videos unfortunately. I was surprised that BMW did not offer these like Disney after every ride.

I also purchased everyone a BMW Performance School T shirt and hat.
Still my favorite today.

Drifting event- 1 series Bimmers
Shut off all nanny controls
Run on a wetted down circular track.
the event is made up of 2 cars/ drivers starting Opposite of each other on the track.
You race/drift 3 laps and the winner advances. This is an elimination event
As I had a group of 18, so there were nine heats.
Winner moves on.
Race 1. I won my event
Race 2. I won the semi finals- 5 laps
Race 3. I won the quarter finals- 5 laps
Finals- 10 lap event. After 10 laps BMW called the race a tie.
I got another 10 laps and I won when my buddy spun the car on lap 9.
I got 33 laps.

This event is all about driving control, finesse and not speed.
Too slow you lose. Too fast you spin out. No nanny controls to take over.
Fantastic event.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Just an FYI, the event that Rider described was not in my 2-Day school. There is a small portion of Day 1 where you learn to 'drift' the M5 on the circular skid pad, but it is short and not a main focus of the school. Think I did two runs total time in car was probably under 10 minutes for that portion. IMO, could have skipped that and been equally happy. I was most interested in driving well on the track and had the most fun in the full-course events, but that wouldn't have been possible without the individual portions leading up to it.

The hot laps he purchased are part of the 2-day school, in that each event the instructors do it with you in the car first before you're let loose. Best part is if you've paid attention going into the full-course event, you're reaching speeds near (but not matched) to the instructors on your own. Again, as a small, short track, it's not about straight line speed, but rather the speed you carry through the corners. Do that seat belt up nice and tight!

Last edited by mbetoni; 01-29-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0