New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Moving to Colorado

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in May and then moving to Colorado in July/August. Anyone have any recommendations as to what part of the state we should move to? Looking for a place that's in close proximity to snowboarding and great hiking/camping sites.

Last edited by The Chaddening; 07-27-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Boulder?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Boulder?
That's where a lot of people say to go. Have you been there before?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
That's where a lot of people say to go. Have you been there before?
Yup, love it out there. Got a college town vibe to it with a very nice downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants if you're into that kind of scene.

If you and your soon to be haven't really been out to that area before, may want to visit to see how susceptible to altitude sickness you are. Most just get headaches and have to drink a lot of water for a few days, but for others it can be pretty shitty.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yup, love it out there. Got a college town vibe to it with a very nice downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants if you're into that kind of scene.

If you and your soon to be haven't really been out to that area before, may want to visit to see how susceptible to altitude sickness you are. Most just get headaches and have to drink a lot of water for a few days, but for others it can be pretty shitty.
That sounds a lot like what we are looking for. We are planning on flying out there this fall so we will check out the boulder area. I was curious about the altitude, I do crossfit and I can only imagine how bad workouts are going to suck up there when I can't breath. Hopefully it is something you can adjust to, I've lived on the east coast most of my life so I haven't really experienced altitude like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

If either of you have family, stay near them, doesn't matter the state. Raising kids with no family blows.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If either of you have family, stay near them, doesn't matter the state. Raising kids with no family blows.
Good point. Plan is to have kids around 30, 25 right now. We currently live 10 minutes away from her parents, so we are looking for a little distance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sounds a lot like what we are looking for. We are planning on flying out there this fall so we will check out the boulder area. I was curious about the altitude, I do crossfit and I can only imagine how bad workouts are going to suck up there when I can't breath. Hopefully it is something you can adjust to, I've lived on the east coast most of my life so I haven't really experienced altitude like that.
I do Orange Theory, you get used to it pretty quickly, I do remember trying to go for a run after only my second day of being in the area and wanting to die after just a mile. It was maybe after day 3 or 4 where I felt comfortable and felt that I could work out at around the same pace as I can around here.

Not uncommon to see warning signs in the hotel gyms though warning you of how you may not be able to work out as hard as you are used to though. Not sure how you are cardio wise but Colorado is a very active area and so on my last trip out there for work this past June I decided to knock out two fourteeners since I'd never done one before. I thought getting used to the altitude in Denver/Boulder was something....those two fourteeners were quite the experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Stop moving here people; it's getting too damn crowded around here.

In all seriousness, Boulder has a high cost of living and the Denver metro area has significantly increased in the last few years as well due to the influx of people moving here. However, it is a big state so there are lots of places to choose from outside of Denver and Boulder. It sounds like you are not restrained by a location or job, so I would ask yourself if you would prefer the big town feel and conveniences of the cities along the front range, or perhaps the laid back small town attitude of a mountain town which gives you the outdoors at your doorstep.
      07-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I love Colorado, Fruita/ Grand junction area.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I do Orange Theory, you get used to it pretty quickly, I do remember trying to go for a run after only my second day of being in the area and wanting to die after just a mile. It was maybe after day 3 or 4 where I felt comfortable and felt that I could work out at around the same pace as I can around here.

Not uncommon to see warning signs in the hotel gyms though warning you of how you may not be able to work out as hard as you are used to though. Not sure how you are cardio wise but Colorado is a very active area and so on my last trip out there for work this past June I decided to knock out two fourteeners since I'd never done one before. I thought getting used to the altitude in Denver/Boulder was something....those two fourteeners were quite the experience.
Never heard of Orange theory up until now, looks like you guys are familiar with the unholy row machine What type of resistance training is done in the classes? I saw TRX bands on the website, do you guys use barbells? Yeah I am excited to move somewhere that is more focused on being active. Murfreesboro, TN is the embodiment of gluttony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Stop moving here people; it's getting too damn crowded around here.

In all seriousness, Boulder has a high cost of living and the Denver metro area has significantly increased in the last few years as well due to the influx of people moving here. However, it is a big state so there are lots of places to choose from outside of Denver and Boulder. It sounds like you are not restrained by a location or job, so I would ask yourself if you would prefer the big town feel and conveniences of the cities along the front range, or perhaps the laid back small town attitude of a mountain town which gives you the outdoors at your doorstep.
We are definitely looking for the "outdoors at your doorstep" feel. Are there towns that you would recommend that have a lower cost of living?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never heard of Orange theory up until now, looks like you guys are familiar with the unholy row machine What type of resistance training is done in the classes? I saw TRX bands on the website, do you guys use barbells? Yeah I am excited to move somewhere that is more focused on being active. Murfreesboro, TN is the embodiment of gluttony.
For the rowers, they're all water rowers so that's where the resistance comes from. Depending on the theme of the day, you may do a series of 150-200m rows as fast as you can, then some reps on the floor using medicine balls, dumbbells, whatever they feel like making you do that day, rinse and repeat for x number of minutes to having you do 2000m rows or just having competitions to see who can row the farthest in x minutes.

For the treadmill changing the incline is pretty common. Shit there's been classes where we have to run at a "push pace" (basically whatever base gets you winded) at a 6% incline for a couple minutes only to end it with a one minute full blown sprint at 10%, and that's after usually running at other inclines and speeds for several minutes so it can be a bit all over the place but it keeps it interesting since I hate running.

I've been to classes in Seattle, Denver, Richmond, VA, and around here and have never seen a barbell in the studio. We definitely use the dumbbells though. And yeah I don't see many fat people whenever I visit Colorado. Lots of runners, trail-runners/bikers and what not.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
For the rowers, they're all water rowers so that's where the resistance comes from. Depending on the theme of the day, you may do a series of 150-200m rows as fast as you can, then some reps on the floor using medicine balls, dumbbells, whatever they feel like making you do that day, rinse and repeat for x number of minutes to having you do 2000m rows or just having competitions to see who can row the farthest in x minutes.

For the treadmill changing the incline is pretty common. Shit there's been classes where we have to run at a "push pace" (basically whatever base gets you winded) at a 6% incline for a couple minutes only to end it with a one minute full blown sprint at 10%, and that's after usually running at other inclines and speeds for several minutes so it can be a bit all over the place but it keeps it interesting since I hate running.

I've been to classes in Seattle, Denver, Richmond, VA, and around here and have never seen a barbell in the studio. We definitely use the dumbbells though. And yeah I don't see many fat people whenever I visit Colorado. Lots of runners, trail-runners/bikers and what not.
I like that they emphasize high intensity and competition. It sounds like crossfit without olympic weightlifting and with more focus on cardiovascular conditioning. First crossfit workout I ever did was a 1000m row, rest for a couple minutes, then repeat. Never been pushed to that limit before. Grown to like rowing a lot actually.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #14
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
We are definitely looking for the "outdoors at your doorstep" feel. Are there towns that you would recommend that have a lower cost of living?
Fort Collins may be a good option. It is a college town and for outdoor activities, Horsetooth Reservoir and the Poudre Canyon are right next to it. It is also about 65 miles away from Denver.

For some mountain town options, check out Durango and Pagosa Springs down in the southwest corner of the state.
      07-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I use to live in Colorado Springs. It's a good area but I'm sure there are better places.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
I use to live in Colorado Springs. It's a good area but I'm sure there are better places.
How do you like living in Utah?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Fort Collins may be a good option. It is a college town and for outdoor activities, Horsetooth Reservoir and the Poudre Canyon are right next to it. It is also about 65 miles away from Denver.

For some mountain town options, check out Durango and Pagosa Springs down in the southwest corner of the state.
Will check these out! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

having lived all over the state, I like Northern Colorado, but it is getting expensive to live up here. My house, that i just bought 11 months ago, has gone up in value over 100k (just had an appraisal).

I lived in Colorado Springs as well, and the same house in the Springs, cost 100-150k more up in northern colorado. Im talking exact same model new home with exact same finishes and same lot size.

If cost is an issue and you want a city that is close to the mountains and tons of outdoors stuff to do, the northern end of Colorado Springs is where I would live. It is a nicer area, and District 20 is one of the top school districts in the state. It is also a newer area and they are building like crazy.

If you want a mountain home, there are lots of little towns up the canyons that you can find houses for a decent price, but, it will be a decent trip to get to any restaurants or stores.

Boulder is way too "Hippy" for me, and cost of living is outrageous. Denver is getting to a crazy level of home prices as well and the market is cut throat. A few guys that work for me have recently bought houses and they had to come in with quick close, no contingency offers that were 10-20% over asking.

Whats your price point if you dont mind me asking? Ive bought 3 houses and sold 2 in the last 3 years so ive got a decent understanding of the Colorado Real Estate and pricing for different areas.

Last edited by csu87; 07-27-2016 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #19
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I really enjoyed living in Utah and cost of living was a lot cheaper than CO. This was 6 years ago though so it may have gone up. From Salt Lake City north, you were right in the mountains and right along the salt lake with tons of things to do.

And i lived within 3 miles of 5 golf courses so that was nice too.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:00 PM   #20
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I like it, to me it's a cheaper Colorado. Mind you, I don't snow board or anything but I do hike and camp and this is like the mecca for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
I really enjoyed living in Utah and cost of living was a lot cheaper than CO. This was 6 years ago though so it may have gone up. From Salt Lake City north, you were right in the mountains and right along the salt lake with tons of things to do.

And i lived within 3 miles of 5 golf courses so that was nice too.
The cost of living is still way less than Colorado was here. I'm north of Salt Lake too.
Appreciate 1
csu872134.00
      07-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #21
csu87
Banned
Rep

only thing that sucks is the booze rules. but idaho, wyoming and CO are just a short drive away to stock up.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #22
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
having lived all over the state, I like Northern Colorado, but it is getting expensive to live up here. My house, that i just bought 11 months ago, has gone up in value over 100k (just had an appraisal).

I lived in Colorado Springs as well, and the same house in the Springs, cost 100-150k more up in northern colorado. Im talking exact same model new home with exact same finishes and same lot size.

If cost is an issue and you want a city that is close to the mountains and tons of outdoors stuff to do, the northern end of Colorado Springs is where I would live. It is a nicer area, and District 20 is one of the top school districts in the state. It is also a newer area and they are building like crazy.

If you want a mountain home, there are lots of little towns up the canyons that you can find houses for a decent price, but, it will be a decent trip to get to any restaurants or stores.

Boulder is way too "Hippy" for me, and cost of living is outrageous. Denver is getting to a crazy level of home prices as well.

Whats your price point if you dont mind me asking? Ive bought 3 houses and sold 2 in the last 3 years so ive got a decent understanding of the Colorado Real Estate and pricing for different areas.
Well I have never owned a home before but we plan on buying our first house when we move out there. My fiance is graduating college in December and I graduated a couple years ago so we have only lived in apartments. We aren't looking for a huge house or anything, not sure on a budget yet because I don't know how much money she will be making.

We would be fine having to drive a little to get to stores, we are looking for some quiet. We are right next door to the biggest school in TN.
Appreciate 0